Porsche Factory Part Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 12:27 PM
fashionattune
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche Factory Part Mystery

A 2012 Cayenne S Hybrid:

Porsche dealer sellers a brake booster/servo for $580. We all know that VW, Audi, and Porsche share a lot of parts, so I looked at the same part from VW dealer. They sell it for $380, $200 less from Porsche.

Their part numbers are interchangeable, so I figure they are the same parts.

Is there any difference I’m missing there?
Old 08-01-2022, 11:01 PM
11bravo
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

What's the mystery? All premium brands charge more for their parts than the same part for the basic brand. Buy the VW part and pocket $200. In fact, a VW dealer will likely be able to perform the work for less than the Porsche dealer.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:30 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
Default You are absolutely right

Originally Posted by 11bravo
What's the mystery? All premium brands charge more for their parts than the same part for the basic brand. Buy the VW part and pocket $200. In fact, a VW dealer will likely be able to perform the work for less than the Porsche dealer.
You are absolutely right. My daughter has a VW Alltrack, and she left it with us for a while when she was in grad school. It's an impressive car. I drove it some and had it serviced. I asked the VW dealer about working on my Cayenne (their oil change on a diesel Tourag was either $120 0r $170), and they said they could not work on it. When I asked why, the SA told me that if the VW rep ever showed up, and there was a Cayenne up on a lift, somebody would lose their kob and the dealership would get spanked. VW also protects their brands abilities to gouge their customers.

Quick Reply: Porsche Factory Part Mystery