Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Throttle Body Position Sensor part of Throttle Body?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 04:38 AM
aliiq
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Position Sensor part of Throttle Body?

Hi everyone,

I posted earlier about my Cayenne 958.2 not driving smooth. Did a lot of work but issue remained. I now have an error that from my basic code reader suggests error code P2101 : Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Range / Performance. My mechanic suggests a throttle body replacement. I am curious to know if the Throttle Body Position Sensor is part of the Throttle body? Or is that a different part altogether?

I am concerned if I replace the throttle body and then realize it's a sensor issue than I would need fork out more $$$ and I assume the sensor is an easier / cheaper fix to the problem.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:15 AM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Are you sure your throttle body plate is not obstructed or required simple cleaning from the gunk?
Old 07-21-2022, 09:20 AM
aliiq
7th Gear

I did get the cleaning done - not sure about obstruction.

So symptoms beyond the "Check engine" light that says "Engine Control Fault" are the following:
1. The engine revs on its own at cold start - going up to 1400 for a good one to two minutes
2. The car at low speeds on soft pedal sometimes doesnt budge, like if I am slowly accelerating I would feel a jerk and then it would move
3. On high speed 120kmph even on cruise control, I would feel the car slows and then speeds then slows and so on... while driving you can feel the difference. It happens on lower speeds without cruise control too, foot is stable and car gives a stopping feel and then gaining feel.
4. Gear changes are not very smooth either but thats why I think at high speed on the 8th gear I should not be feeling issues if it was a transmission issue
Old 07-21-2022, 04:11 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Yes, a new throttle body will likely fix this. Not uncommon. How many miles on your Cayenne?
Old 07-21-2022, 05:55 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree. Also it's super easy to get to TB on Cayenne.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:40 AM
aliiq
7th Gear

Originally Posted by garrett376
Yes, a new throttle body will likely fix this. Not uncommon. How many miles on your Cayenne?
Agreed - but my question is the Throttle Position Sensor inside the throttle body? Because if its a separate part I would want to change that before going into changing the throttle body.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Position Sensor part of Throttle Body?