Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why do so many people absolutely hate stop/start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 09:55 AM
Simeon
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
Because I'm old school. I know starters and batteries are designed to withstand the constant start/stop requirements. I know the entire car's electrical system caters to this feature when on.

My first car was an 1985 Opel Ascona and it would go off at lights if I stopped too quickly, then it would have to sit for a while before it would start back again. I drove too many POS cars in my lifetime mate, I just cannot get used to a car going off without my control.
Wow! I learned to drive in a 1988 (I think it was) Opel Ascona! With clear front turn signals that looked much better than the amber ones

It feels crazy that someone else even knows what that car is.
The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (07-09-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 10:08 AM
Simeon
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

As far as the start stop feature, I set the optional button on the steering wheel to turn the start/stop on and off. This way I can easily turn it off without having to find and press the button on the center console.

I usually turn it off when approaching a stop sign, for example, or coming to a stop where I know it will not be longer than a few seconds. But if I am coming to a stop at light that just turned red or one that is notoriously long, I'll turn it back on and it could make a relatively big difference on a shirt trip.

It may seem insignificant to you as one person, but think about millions of cars in LA alone saving 0.1 gal on their trip. That would be 100,000 gallons potentially saved in one day in one city. Multiply that by the nation and the world - it adds up quite a bit. Yes, percentage wise it is still a small number but it does make a difference.

Last edited by Simeon; 07-05-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:24 AM
cmoreau
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I've always felt that a running engine is much more likely to continue running and get you to your destination than one that shuts off and has to start multiple times along your path. I've been fishing offshore and had a relatively new and reliable Yamaha engine fail to restart to come home (most people I fish with these days let the engines idle all day to prevent such a thing from happening and the friend I was with at the time has since adopted the same practice). Being 80-100 miles offshore and limping home on 1 engine instead of two still got us back, but we couldn't get on plane, it took us 3 times as long to get back and we burned ALL of the gas in the boat (second engine died of fuel starvation as we were pulling onto the trailer). It's a much different situation than driving a car around town, but that motor was running just fine until we shut it off. I'd rather be at my house, a store, or at my office when my vehicle decides not to start than at a redlight or in stop-and-go traffic on the highway.

I also work outside and it's hot enough here (Florida) in the summer that I don't want my air conditioning to ever stop blowing if I'm in the car. The comfort is well worth burning a little extra fuel.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:37 AM
PbCTTv8500
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoreau
I've always felt that a running engine is much more likely to continue running and get you to your destination than one that shuts off and has to start multiple times along your path. I've been fishing offshore and had a relatively new and reliable Yamaha engine fail to restart to come home (most people I fish with these days let the engines idle all day to prevent such a thing from happening and the friend I was with at the time has since adopted the same practice). Being 80-100 miles offshore and limping home on 1 engine instead of two still got us back, but we couldn't get on plane, it took us 3 times as long to get back and we burned ALL of the gas in the boat (second engine died of fuel starvation as we were pulling onto the trailer). It's a much different situation than driving a car around town, but that motor was running just fine until we shut it off. I'd rather be at my house, a store, or at my office when my vehicle decides not to start than at a redlight or in stop-and-go traffic on the highway.

I also work outside and it's hot enough here (Florida) in the summer that I don't want my air conditioning to ever stop blowing if I'm in the car. The comfort is well worth burning a little extra fuel.
out of curiosity do you have onboard or out board engines and are the diesel?
Old 07-05-2022, 10:45 AM
cmoreau
Advanced

They were 300hp Yamaha outboards. Gas
Old 07-05-2022, 11:02 AM
PbCTTv8500
Advanced

If they are 2 stroke I had the same motor (single) on my first boat. Decent center console Boston Whaler. We all smoked a leafy substance at the time and I named it the Boston Inhaler
Old 07-05-2022, 11:44 AM
cmoreau
Advanced

Originally Posted by PbCTTv8500
If they are 2 stroke I had the same motor (single) on my first boat. Decent center console Boston Whaler. We all smoked a leafy substance at the time and I named it the Boston Inhaler
They were the latest, greatest 4-stroke motors at the time (2013 or 2014). Only about a year old when we had the issue though. I never asked my buddy what ended up being wrong with it, but he continued to run them for a few years until his new boat was built and arrived with triple Yamahas and a much bigger fuel tank. He hasn't had to limp home since.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:58 AM
PbCTTv8500
Advanced

The only time I ever had an issue was when I accidentally left the ignition on and killed the battery. Took the cover off and everyone on the boat with shoes bathsuit strings whatever we had. Strung them together and somehow we pull started that giant engine to start. I want to say it was a 225 but I don’t remember. Also every single year someone would kick and crack the plastic oil storage tank. I finally got sick of replacing it and had a metal one fabricated.

I know have a Searay Sundance Diesel. Thank Jeebus this was a gift from a deceased family friend. I’d never be able to afford a boat this expensive.

I sold a cabin and some land and put the money into a savings account for the maintenance and running costs. It’s now my floating cabin at sea.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:07 PM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
The crankshaft is lubricated based on hydrodynamic lubrication that creates a film for the crankshaft to ride on when the mating surfaces have relative motion. When the engine stops, there is no film. Keeping the oil running does nothing for this lubrication process. The camshaft has a similar situation but if the cam lobe is trying to lift a valve when the engine shuts down, the contact pressure is very high and requires a significant break away force when motion initiates. Very stressful for the cam lobe and to lesser extent, the timing chain. So there will be more wear with this feature engaged.
<Citation Needed> There's not enough pressure on the crankshaft bearings to expel *all* of the oil from the bearing. There's *always* enough of an oil film left to provide sufficient lubrication for the bearing for the very short space of time until the oil pressure builds up within a revolution. As for the cam lobes, their lubrication availability during a stop/start event is absolutely identical to that when normally running - again the oil is not fully expelled, and there's no hydrodynamic lubrication on that - there's no oilway feeding outwards from the highest pressure points on the lobe. It's fairly simple engineering knowledge.

I'm not disagreeing that there would be "more wear" I'm saying it's absolutely nowhere near as bad as you're making out. Another way of looking at this is how much screeching of metal on metal do you hear on normal cold startup, or during a stop/start restart? Proper engine oils are pretty good at maintaining film adhesion to the metal surfaces. As long as the engine is warm enough, and there's enough oil pressure before the start/stop event, the minute or so of being stopped is a relative non-event from a lubrication point of view.

I'm welcome to be corrected by a tribologist, but my years of engineering and mechanical experience would suggest that the reality of the situation in a stop/start event does not match your post's suggestion that there's no oil film present in bearings immediately after the engine stops..
Old 07-06-2022, 03:14 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Many of you seem to be living based on only ancient understanding of engine systems. Modern lubricants, starters, and surfaces are considerably better at handling start/stop than anything most of you grew up with.

Me, I turn it off because it's proven itself unsafe to me MORE THAN ONCE. Try having it enabled when you're creeping into a lane at the bank teller window. Several times the engine would cut off and left me without brake vacuum pressure. There wasn't room to use the accelerator to 'wake it up' so I had to put a tremendous amount of force on the brake to get it to stop, and while holding the brake, press the accelerator to get start/stop to wake TF back up again. I'm sure it was an 'edge case' where it assumed it was at a stop light, but I wasn't actually STOPPED just slowly creeping forward and it'll kill the engine. No thanks.

In regular driving I've only had it operate effectively a handful of times. It seems like my overall driving style just doesn't lend itself to start/stop functionality. Thus I had Vlad use my 958 as the test for his start/stop module. I've had it installed since and it's been completely effective.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:10 PM
VarioSpam
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I find it quite annoying, mainly because it defaults back to being enabled every time you restart the car. A simple software change of making it retain the on/off setting would be fine. Reason being, I think it is good to turn the engine off at a red light if you know it is going to be a slow start and/or you aren't the first at the line. However, having it repeatedly stop / start in a traffic queue just drains the battery and hardly saves any fuel.
However, given that so many people report that their batteries last 10y, I wonder if having the cycling of the battery improves its health? (not sure this is a thing for lead-acid, I thought they were healthiest left fully charged..)
Old 07-06-2022, 10:32 PM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by VarioSpam
I find it quite annoying, mainly because it defaults back to being enabled every time you restart the car. A simple software change of making it retain the on/off setting would be fine.
Not true with the 958.1 - or at least not with my '13. Push it once and it stays that way. I believe it changed with the 958.2 since the EPA started to only gave credit to the manufacturer if the system defaulted back to "enabled" with each ignition cycle.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:58 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Trio
Not true with the 958.1 - or at least not with my '13. Push it once and it stays that way. I believe it changed with the 958.2 since the EPA started to only gave credit to the manufacturer if the system defaulted back to "enabled" with each ignition cycle.
Correct, for the later 958.2 it defaults to enabled.

This module listens to the bus and stores the active settings (more than just stop/start), and restores them after the next cold start: http://t-design9.com/memory_module_porsche.html
Old 07-07-2022, 07:57 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cathalferris
<Citation Needed> There's not enough pressure on the crankshaft bearings to expel *all* of the oil from the bearing. There's *always* enough of an oil film left to provide sufficient lubrication for the bearing for the very short space of time until the oil pressure builds up within a revolution. As for the cam lobes, their lubrication availability during a stop/start event is absolutely identical to that when normally running - again the oil is not fully expelled, and there's no hydrodynamic lubrication on that - there's no oilway feeding outwards from the highest pressure points on the lobe. It's fairly simple engineering knowledge.

I'm not disagreeing that there would be "more wear" I'm saying it's absolutely nowhere near as bad as you're making out. Another way of looking at this is how much screeching of metal on metal do you hear on normal cold startup, or during a stop/start restart? Proper engine oils are pretty good at maintaining film adhesion to the metal surfaces. As long as the engine is warm enough, and there's enough oil pressure before the start/stop event, the minute or so of being stopped is a relative non-event from a lubrication point of view.

I'm welcome to be corrected by a tribologist, but my years of engineering and mechanical experience would suggest that the reality of the situation in a stop/start event does not match your post's suggestion that there's no oil film present in bearings immediately after the engine stops..
@cathalferris , here is a reference for some first principles regarding tribology, and based on your background you might find it enjoyable. I’m sure the manufacturers have tested these systems but I’ll wait for some real world data before I accept it.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:41 PM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by PbCTTv8500
I still don’t understand why so many people hate it. When I’m driving locally (stoplights where I live can be 2,3,4 minutes. When I pull up to a light and it stops, I enjoy saving a bit of fuel. It always starts right back up unless my seatbelt is off which scared me the first time it happened. I don’t mind it and for the life of me can’t understand why so many people hate it.

Hahaha because we are driving a Porsche lol

Quick Reply: Why do so many people absolutely hate stop/start?