Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

958 Front Bearings/Hubs and Wheel Hubs Replacement - Way Easier than Expected

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 07:31 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Default 958 Front Bearings/Hubs and Wheel Hubs Replacement - Way Easier than Expected

So I've had a weird issue for a few years now where new brake pads/rotors make the truck drive super smooth at first, but over a short amount of time it seems like the rotors become "warped" and the steering wheel will wobble sometimes at higher speeds, or during a hard acceleration or during hard braking... I finally came to the conclusion that it was likely a wheel hub issue, so I decided to change both front wheel hubs and bearings.

The results are way more pronounced than I expected, and it's amazing how much better the truck tracks - when I steer I get much better "feel" and the wheel wants to return to center with quite a bit more force than before - it's nearly as noticeable as the newer vehicles with that power assisted roll-bar/stability package. I honestly can't believe the difference, and it makes me want to replace the rears as well.

Bearings and related nuts/bolts came from Rockauto (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=1636&jsn=1), and new wheel hubs are factory, and came from ECS tuning (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...b/95834160501/).

I watched a bunch of videos online, but most appear to be for the 955 and involve pressing the bearing in and out. I bought a bearing press/puller kit off eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/255323443690) and was ready to remove the entire wheel carrier if necessary - but once I went through the Porsche manual I realized it was much easier than I though. The most difficult part is the final torqueing of the bearing bolts since there is not a lot of room, but other than that it's way simple, and really only required one "special tool" in the form of a generic hub puller. The one I used came from Amazon (
Amazon Amazon
).

BTW, I have the official tools for supporting the calipers (seen in the image below) and they are absolutely worth every penny (https://porsche.snapon.com/special-t...temid=16580042).

All you really have to do is remove the axel nut, remove the brake caliper/rotor, loosen the bearings bolts, then use the hub puller to push the axel out of the hub. I have a shop press so I pre-pressed the new bearings and hubs, but that can be done by any shop, or with a bearing/hub tool like the one I got off eBay. Install is easier than removal.

I didn't really write-up a how-to, but I created a document with all the steps from the shop manual, as well as the related torque values, and it's attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
958 Front Wheel Bearings.docx (269.6 KB, 155 views)
The following 5 users liked this post by dollarlongnecks:
AnAlbumCover (07-06-2022), lml999 (07-03-2022), mikegally (07-03-2022), s996 (07-13-2022), wyowolf (07-03-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 10:31 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Nice work, as usual!
The following users liked this post:
dollarlongnecks (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 10:45 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garrett376
Nice work, as usual!
Appreciated!
Old 07-08-2022, 03:01 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

@lml999 can we sticky/move to the DIY section? I suspect I need to do mine soon as I can hear the "tire roar" noise but the tires are fine.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:25 PM
Dr.Yellowbrid
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious if you really needed to replace the hub? I can see the bearing is a wear item, but the hub? Was the original hub worn or splines affected?
Old 07-13-2022, 06:23 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr.Yellowbrid
Curious if you really needed to replace the hub? I can see the bearing is a wear item, but the hub? Was the original hub worn or splines affected?
The first part of my above post outlines the reason I suspected the hubs needed replacement - but really, a hub can be knocked out of spec by a good curb check.

I did wreck this truck pretty good when I first got it, right on the right front tire. The wheel had to be replaced, and the bearings were replaced, but I think the body shop used the same hub, as it's been an issue since then.

However, I noticed a difference when changing the front left hub as well, and I've never wrecked it on that side... So in 140K miles, it has become out of spec enough to feel. I'm sure potholes and minor curb checks just took their toll over the years.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:12 PM
projectAM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
The first part of my above post outlines the reason I suspected the hubs needed replacement - but really, a hub can be knocked out of spec by a good curb check.

I did wreck this truck pretty good when I first got it, right on the right front tire. The wheel had to be replaced, and the bearings were replaced, but I think the body shop used the same hub, as it's been an issue since then.

However, I noticed a difference when changing the front left hub as well, and I've never wrecked it on that side... So in 140K miles, it has become out of spec enough to feel. I'm sure potholes and minor curb checks just took their toll over the years.
Any reason not to use 7P0501655A if price/delivery speed is a factor? This is the Touareg/Q7 part number and Cayenne on a few sites.

Thanks for your contributions.

Old 12-27-2023, 12:19 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

I decided to go with stock hubs because the originals have the actual Porsche triangle logo on them, and having taken a lot of this car apart over the years, I see the VW and Audi logo often, but the Porsche ones are more rare. I figured if they have the Porsche logo I'd rather be safe than sorry. However, I went and checked the new one I have in the garage, and it has the VW logo as well as the Porsche logo, and has 7P0501655A on it as well. It also has 7P5.501.655.

Originally Posted by projectAM
Any reason not to use 7P0501655A if price/delivery speed is a factor? This is the Touareg/Q7 part number and Cayenne on a few sites.

Thanks for your contributions.

Quick Reply: 958 Front Bearings/Hubs and Wheel Hubs Replacement - Way Easier than Expected