Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should I go for diesel with my low mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 04:10 PM
Adam120
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegally
Yes, you would only really need to do a forced regen if the car goes into limp mode meaning you'd struggle to hit the speed/revs required.
Yeh that makes sense, although I fear with my driving style I'd have to do it often. I guess I'm just not suited to a diesel. It would have to be petrol for now which would leave me with two options... a Porsche Macan S (2016/17) or a BMW X3 M40i (2019)
Old 07-04-2022, 11:44 AM
Adam120
8th Gear

Just a thought... would a 9 mile trip (25 mins) consisting of mainly dual carriageways with a 40mph limit be considered a short trip?

If that trip was sufficient for a diesel car to regen, I could easily have a Diesel as my daily driver as that would be a regular tip I'd be doing.

The only issue with the above is it does include traffic lights (and sometimes some traffic) so wouldn't be a consistent 40mph run for 25 mins, but I should get at least 10mins worth in that journey.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:17 PM
mikegally
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

From my experience this journey wouldnt be sufficient but im certainly no expert.
What I do know is for a regen to take place the engine needs to be up to full temperature to start with which normally takes 10-15 mins of driving.
A 30 min round trip on a motorway once a month is the minimum id recommend.
The following users liked this post:
mafpolo (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 01:05 PM
Adam120
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mikegally
From my experience this journey wouldnt be sufficient but im certainly no expert.
What I do know is for a regen to take place the engine needs to be up to full temperature to start with which normally takes 10-15 mins of driving.
A 30 min round trip on a motorway once a month is the minimum id recommend.
I would definitely be doing the motorway drive at least once a month so that won't be an issue.

If the short trips above don't start a regen then that is fine, I just don't want these trips to cause issues.

My driving style would effectively be...

Short trip above twice a week, so there and back that is 4 trips. Based on a 4 week month, that is 16 trips a month.

That is 16 of these trips a month with the one long monthly drive of 125 miles each way.

Just thinking whether those 16 trips will harm the engine. You may suggest taking a longer scenic route for one of those trips but I really don't want to do that, I don't want to be in a position where I need to take a longer route for the sake of my diesel engine.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:42 PM
mikegally
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Predominantly short journeys in any modern diesel car with a DPF and EGR are problematic.
Build up of carbon deposits in the intake/turbo/EGR/CAT and DPF is worse with constant short journeys as the engine often cant get up to temp.
There are plenty of DIY options to clean these areas of the engine and loads of videos on YT.
Have a look at this thread for starters. EGR is the devil, Bobby Boucher! (Diesel EGR, that is) - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
But dont let it put you off a diesel,
For me when I had DPF problems I cleaned my air intake and flushed the DPF a few times then just started doing longer journeys and ive not had any problems since.
Currently Im hitting 34MPG around town, running like a dream.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:47 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

Constant short trips are not good for petrol/gas cars either. My wife has a Panamera S e-hybrid, and they had to clean the carbon out of it. She was running on the battery and then not enough juice to get the car home, so engine would come on and not long enough. I have a low mileage diesel....2015 with 44,000 miles. I drive about 16 miles to work each day (mostly interstate), but once a week I take it on a good run for 30 minutes on the highway at a decent speed. When I get home, I see a lot of white powder inside the exhaust tips (i added black sport exhaust tips to it). I also use a diesel additive and cetane boost. It's a pain to do that once a week run, but it's worth it.....I just love the diesel. Porsche tech told me the last time I had a service that 15 minutes at a continuous 37 mph or higher, would force the car to regen.
The following users liked this post:
KBell (07-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Should I go for diesel with my low mileage?