Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buying my first Porsche ever - help me decide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 02:01 AM
Porsche Curious
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying my first Porsche ever - help me decide?

[LONG POST WARNING]

Hey everybody! Hope you guys and gals are doing well and it's nice to (virtually) meet you all 😊

I’m fresh off the boat in this forum and to Porsche brand all together so please bear with me.

In the last a few weeks I’ve read through plenty of threads and topics in this forum pertaining to the cars I’m potentially interested in, haven’t interacted with anyone yet but totally love the vibe in this community as everybody seems nice and as helpful as they could which is pretty cool.

A few quick cliff notes about me to set the stage so you’ve a feel what I need a help with.
  1. It’s going to be my first Porsche ever(though have driven some friends Cayennes and 911s long time ago)
  2. My first SUV ever
  3. My first Porsche ever
  4. My current car is a 2019 BMW 540i M-sport and had an BMW M550 before this.
  5. I don’t carry any passengers with me most of the time, rarely I’ve more than 1 individual with me
  6. I like to push my car, I drive enthusiastically most of the time, mind you… this is not to say I’m being belligerent, dangerous and inconsiderate to other drivers and their safety, I like to push my cars within reasonable limits and make the most out of them.
I’m a 31 year old (single) guy from Los Angeles. My current lease is coming to an end in 2 weeks and I don’t wish to keep my car(it’s been having issues lately and already has 40K miles on it so I don’t have a lot of trust in its reliability in long term).

My intended budget for the car is 65K max. Don’t really want to spend more than that. I will only get a CPO’ed car just for that piece of mind.

The two cars I’m interested in are…
  1. 2015-2018 Cayenne(958.2) - GTS
  2. 2015-2018 Cayenne(958.2) - Turbo
And here are the non-negotiable requirements for me.
  1. The car has to be zippy, “peppy”, nimble, maneuverable, tight turning radius, quick off the line acceleration, great handling and overall fun to drive yet… it has to have all the basic amenities for every day drive, nice AC, cooled seats would be cool, nice stereo system, would love a heads-up display, keyless entry, etc…
  2. The car should be able to serve me well for at least 4 years with expected 10K a year drive. Minor repairs are okay and I know a great indy Porsche shop near me in case I need some repairs after running out of the CPO warranty.
  3. I live in LA so the car has to be city friendly proportion-wise, as you imagine it’s difficulty to live with a large car in a city where there is a bumper-to-bumper traffic 90% of the time and everyone looks for that tiny crack to zip through.
Now… here are some questions for you guys.

I figured instead of creating 1,000 threads asking all these questions one by one I thought it’d be more sensible to just brain dump all the questions and let people addresses to whichever ones they can.
  1. What are some of the best places/websites to check for Porsches? I've been using finde.porsche.com, cars.com, carguru, vroom, shift, carvana, autotrade, etc... is there any specific preferred website for used Porsches?
  2. Which one of the two mentioned cars matches these criteria?
  3. Do I look for cars with 1-owner ONLY or for the most part it’s fine if it had 2 owners as long it has no accidents?
  4. What are some MUST have options/packages I must make sure whichever car I end up with has(Sport Chrono, etc…)?
  5. How safe it is to purchase a Porsche online without seeing it in-person? obviously assuming the car is CPO’ed and is being sold by an official Porsche dealer. Is it safe to assume the car will live up to their claims(it’s condition, the wear and tear, etc…) or despite it being a Porsche it’s still a must to check it out in person?
  6. In case I find the car I love but it doesn’t have a CPO, can I ask the dealer to CPO it themselves and then sell it to me? is this a common practice or if it's not a CPO from the get go then that's that?
  7. Is it accurate to say any Panamera would handle much better than any Cayenne all things equal? Simply because of you know… physics? Or the difference isn’t as big as most would imagine?
  8. Is my assumption correct that Cayenne will comparatively hold its value better than the Panamera? Considering the crossover surge that’s taking over the country? I’m thinking in 4 years I’d be hard pressed to find someone who wants a sports sedan(gas prices, electric cars, etc...), let alone V8 if I somehow end up with Panamera GTS/Turbo?
  9. What’s the highest milage car I should be looking for if I intend to keep it for at least 3 years trouble-free(except minor issues)?
  10. Which one of these cars are known to be more reliable ?
  11. What’s the biggest difference between 4.8L Twin-Turbo V8 vs 3.6L Twin-Turbo V6? Despite the obvious horsepower and torque figures? I mean as far as the city and freeway driving is concerned?
Thanks guys and sorry for the lecture, I'm just trying to get the ball rolling as I don't have much time left on my car 🙏🏻
Old 05-09-2022, 03:01 PM
Slam08
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I’ll take a stab at some

1) for CPO use the Porsche website. Hands down.
2) Both. The Turbo is faster but a little more luxury. The GTS is more of an enthusiasts car. Drive both and I have a feeling you will prefer the GTS
3) I don’t care about number of owners
4) up you. I wanted PDCC and air suspension. Porsche has nearly unlimited options. If you want something like thermal insulated glass then you will have to search for awhile likely.
5) I wouldnt have issues purchasing a CPO car remotely if needed, but would prefer to test drive if at all possible.
6) you can ask for a CPO. If you really want a CPO then sometimes they will do it for 3k about. If it qualifies and you are willing to pay the extra. You can get similar coverage with extended warranties though.
7) yes, physics! Lol
8) you see more cayennes than panameras. Resale is anyones guess. We will all be wrong likely
9) I heard that turbos have trouble between 60-80k and then run fine. They was my experience as well. I had my 958.1 CTT from 60-100k.
10)punt

11) THIS IS IMPORTANT

you can read all about a 958 GTS vs turbo until the cows come home. You can dissect 0-60 and 1/4 miles times and read tons of reviews from people whose job it is to make noise about cars…

Just take a test drive with a local model ASAP The differences will be obvious in 10 seconds. Trust me. They are very different vehicles in feel. You will save yourself so much time. I wish I had.

Last edited by Slam08; 05-09-2022 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche Curious (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 04:10 PM
Reeds
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

In terms of the warranty… some cars that weren’t already certified at a dealer could be eligible if the dealer wants to play ball. The car needs to be up to date on all services and the work needs to have been done at aPorsche dealer, so that could be cost prohibitive if you pay for them to do a major service as well as the $3k fee to certify it with Porsche NA. Also, if there’s accident damage and the car wasn’t fixed a Porsche approved body shop it won’t be eligible to certify.

Some people trust dealers buying CPO sight unseen, but it’s always a good idea to get either yourself or a friend/willing forum members to see the car in person. While mechanical faults will be covered by the warranty, there could be cosmetic defects, interior wear or smells that don’t translate through pictures well. Some dealers have no issues putting an ex-smoker car on the lot as a CPO. Ive run into a few of those (luckily in person so I could pass)

Another option is to get a 3rd party warranty from Fidelity or a similar vendor. There are a lot of members here that have gone that route and it offers varying coverage levels/periods and I believe is refundable (prorated) if you sell the car before the warranty is over.

A lot of the other questions are subjective or just unknown. Turbo vs GTS is very much a matter of opinion. Same with Panama vs Cayenne. You should drive both trims and both models and see what works for you. A similarly equipment Panama probably drives “better” at 10/10ths but you may not notice much difference in daily driving vs a Cayenne GTS in sport plus with good tires.

Both will continue to depreciate down to sub $20k over time, and both can be reliable but largely depends on the individual car and luck. Usually you should buy the lowest mileage car you can afford but if a higher mileage one was clearly taken better care of it may be a better deal.

Out of warranty repairs or service bills at the dealer can be eye watering on both Panamaras or Cayennes even compared to your BMW.

Last edited by Reeds; 05-09-2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:43 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 487 Likes on 358 Posts

Hello Curious, we have helped many with their warranty search/questions. Our advise is that top tier coverage from top tier third party companies offer much more value as far as level of coverage / cost of coverage compared to the CPO. We work with both Fidelity and Freedom Warranty, both honor their repair claims at Porsche dealers all across the country, here is some information from both companies on your potential Porsche Cayenne GTS and Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

GTS: https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2214273

Freedom Warranty Complete Manufactures Extension:
60 months / up to 100k miles
$100 deductible
-$4,595
0% financing is available.

Fidelity Platinum:
48 months / additional 60k miles:
$100 deductible
-$5,726
$250 deductible
-$4,922

Turbo: https://shift.com/car/2016-blue-porsche-cayenne/c122590

Freedom Warranty Complete Manufactures Extension:
60 months / up to 100k miles
$100 deductible
-$4,795
0% financing is available.

Fidelity Platinum:
48 months / additional 60k miles:
$100 deductible
-$7,644
$250 deductible
-$6,491

For quotes, questions, and example contracts, you can reach me at (855) 924-1333 or tgibson@highline-autos.com

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Last edited by Highline-Autos.com; 05-09-2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:35 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

pretty sure none of the 958s have heads-up displays TBH so if that's a must have you may be challenged. 2017 onwards has CarPlay (PCM 4.0) 2016 cars have older PCM without CarPlay (it can be added if you're prepared to open up the unit and spend a few hundred $$. Burmester is the upgraded hifi setup (Bose being the "interim" upgrade) - I've had both and there's no way I'd pay the $5k premium for it new but if its baked into a pre-owned price the Burmester does sound nicer and has a few extra sound processing modes.

in terms of your detailed questions - here's my take (IMHO of course):
  1. agree with @Slam08 for CPO - you can get a CPO transferred from a private party so there are a few cars you might be missing out on but in my experience most CPO cars get traded back to the dealer (who can then extend the CPO in many cases)
  2. Neither of them is as quick as their HP would suggest because they are SUVs - you should be fine though coming from the 540 - dynamically though they are high center of gravity vehicles and tech can only mask that so much. I haven't driven the current 5 series but have seat time in the prior gen 5 series and its an accomplished vehicle that handles pretty well. PASM and lowered ride height helps the GTS - I can 't say I can tell much value from PDCC but some people swear by it
  3. within reason I could care less (my rule of thumb is age of car /1.5 is upper limit)
  4. I found Sport chrono to be (relatively) useless - there is the launch control party trick but anyone who has been in a Tesla will be underwhelmed. shift patterns in Sport plus are super aggressive and I could never find a suitable place to use them - better put it in manual and use the paddles for a more engaging sporty feel. The stopwatch is pointless in my 911, its a joke in my Cayenne. If you like the GTS make sure its got the GTS interior package - makes the whole place nicer to be and reflects the exterior changes better. Pano roof is nice and makes the car feel airer. PASM and Air are key (standard on GTS)
  5. I have had the dealers do a video walkround for me (Facetime or similar) and spent a long time discussing the car and having them go slllooooowwly around and inside it - not all Porsche Sales folks are very tech literate I will say that though - I've traveled 400+ miles to get the car I wanted but was prepared to walk away if it didn't meet my standards...
  6. CPO > 3rd party warranty (again IMHO) but likely it'll cost - never done it myself so can't comment on price - there is a bar that the car needs to meet for Porsche to issue an extended CPO
  7. Panny will feel much more like your 5 series (only more cramped inside) - they are also $10-20k more for same year and spec based on my limited research
  8. Cars depreciate full stop (current market craziness notwithstanding) neither a Cayenne or a Panny GTS/Turbo will be a collector's car in 15 years' time so buy, drive, enjoy...
  9. Not sure - I buy them with slightly higher miles to get a better deal up front - I then drive lower than the average mileage because of my circumstances and reap the benefit on the trade-in - I'd say 60K plus is fine
  10. Not sure - my experience is that I have had a fewer issues with the V8TT than the V6TT but neither has been a bear
  11. as @Slam08 said - this is really up to you and your needs - you can spec a turbo out to be a GTS with 100 more HP but that will be difficult to find 2nd hand. I saw a lot of Turbos with modest specs and with bland interiors when I last looked a year ago and I personally can't get with the fake wood and chrome thing - 90% of GTS' look the part from the build-sheet and have a lot of the handling upgrades as standard.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:36 PM
Porsche Curious
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Slam08
I’ll take a stab at some

1) for CPO use the Porsche website. Hands down.
2) Both. The Turbo is faster but a little more luxury. The GTS is more of an enthusiasts car. Drive both and I have a feeling you will prefer the GTS
3) I don’t care about number of owners
4) up you. I wanted PDCC and air suspension. Porsche has nearly unlimited options. If you want something like thermal insulated glass then you will have to search for awhile likely.
5) I wouldnt have issues purchasing a CPO car remotely if needed, but would prefer to test drive if at all possible.
6) you can ask for a CPO. If you really want a CPO then sometimes they will do it for 3k about. If it qualifies and you are willing to pay the extra. You can get similar coverage with extended warranties though.
7) yes, physics! Lol
8) you see more cayennes than panameras. Resale is anyones guess. We will all be wrong likely
9) I heard that turbos have trouble between 60-80k and then run fine. They was my experience as well. I had my 958.1 CTT from 60-100k.
10)punt

11) THIS IS IMPORTANT

you can read all about a 958 GTS vs turbo until the cows come home. You can dissect 0-60 and 1/4 miles times and read tons of reviews from people whose job it is to make noise about cars…

Just take a test drive with a local model ASAP The differences will be obvious in 10 seconds. Trust me. They are very different vehicles in feel. You will save yourself so much time. I wish I had.
Thanks for your input man, appreciate that much 🙏🏻

Going to ask a few more clarifying questions if you don't mind.

1) Is there anything tangible that sets it apart let's say... my local dealership that also has the car I want and it's also a CPO? another way to ask it, is there anything tangible from buying a CPO car specifically from Porsche itself vs reputable local dealer? cause my thinking is if it's a CPO car than it means it has the Porsche's qualifications and the only difference would be dealing with that specific dealer, unless I'm completely wrong in my assumption lol.

2) From the sound of it looks like GTS just might be the car I want, definitely prefer sportier setups(driving dynamics) over outright straight line performance though it matters too, I just hate how Turbos look like look Base model Cayennes, why Porsche has it backwards? their faster car looks more ordinary than their slower car lol I get that the GTS-line is Porsche's enthusiast segment but damn they could try you know lol

6) The reason I was considering asking for them to CPO the car is besides getting the warranty this would also serve as a great assurance that the car indeed matches Porsche's standards thus proving that the car is all what they say it is, that's mostly the reason I want to ask them to CPO it, otherwise I could get it myself but the issue I'm seeing with that is if I buy the car and try to CPO it myself and it turns out the car isn't in a great condition and doesn't match Porsche's criteria then I'll have to pay to fix it up and then CPO it which will needlessly cost me more, can you confirm if my logic is sound?

Thanks one more time 👌🏻

Last edited by lml999; 05-09-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:39 PM
sidpost
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the sheer joy of driving, that Macan with the V6 and PDK transmission was far and away the funniest SUV I have ever driven! If you don't need the size, bulk and capacity of the larger SUV, a new or used Macan with its PDK transmission is an easy win for myself. My friend got a Cayenne GTS.

You could buy a Macan new from a dealer so, no worries about CPO or service for a few years. They are nimble and super fun for a spirited drive. Being smaller overall while having the SUV storage capacity to me makes them an easy choice for myself.

Running on the highway access road at ~25MPH with the transmission manually bumped up to 7th is super fun when you stomp the accelerator and it goes to 1st from 7th with 2nd preselected and your friends' eyes become as large as coffee sauciers!

My other friend's BMW 540 makes me think the Macan would be a better option for you. Even though it is an SUV, I don't find it near as top heavy as the Cayenne which lacks that awesome PDK transmission! I dare say the Macan handles better than the 540 too!
Old 05-09-2022, 08:44 PM
Porsche Curious
6th Gear

Originally Posted by phsingl
pretty sure none of the 958s have heads-up displays TBH so if that's a must have you may be challenged. 2017 onwards has CarPlay (PCM 4.0) 2016 cars have older PCM without CarPlay (it can be added if you're prepared to open up the unit and spend a few hundred $$. Burmester is the upgraded hifi setup (Bose being the "interim" upgrade) - I've had both and there's no way I'd pay the $5k premium for it new but if its baked into a pre-owned price the Burmester does sound nicer and has a few extra sound processing modes.

in terms of your detailed questions - here's my take (IMHO of course):
  1. agree with @Slam08 for CPO - you can get a CPO transferred from a private party so there are a few cars you might be missing out on but in my experience most CPO cars get traded back to the dealer (who can then extend the CPO in many cases)
  2. Neither of them is as quick as their HP would suggest because they are SUVs - you should be fine though coming from the 540 - dynamically though they are high center of gravity vehicles and tech can only mask that so much. I haven't driven the current 5 series but have seat time in the prior gen 5 series and its an accomplished vehicle that handles pretty well. PASM and lowered ride height helps the GTS - I can 't say I can tell much value from PDCC but some people swear by it
  3. within reason I could care less (my rule of thumb is age of car /1.5 is upper limit)
  4. I found Sport chrono to be (relatively) useless - there is the launch control party trick but anyone who has been in a Tesla will be underwhelmed. shift patterns in Sport plus are super aggressive and I could never find a suitable place to use them - better put it in manual and use the paddles for a more engaging sporty feel. The stopwatch is pointless in my 911, its a joke in my Cayenne. If you like the GTS make sure its got the GTS interior package - makes the whole place nicer to be and reflects the exterior changes better. Pano roof is nice and makes the car feel airer. PASM and Air are key (standard on GTS)
  5. I have had the dealers do a video walkround for me (Facetime or similar) and spent a long time discussing the car and having them go slllooooowwly around and inside it - not all Porsche Sales folks are very tech literate I will say that though - I've traveled 400+ miles to get the car I wanted but was prepared to walk away if it didn't meet my standards...
  6. CPO > 3rd party warranty (again IMHO) but likely it'll cost - never done it myself so can't comment on price - there is a bar that the car needs to meet for Porsche to issue an extended CPO
  7. Panny will feel much more like your 5 series (only more cramped inside) - they are also $10-20k more for same year and spec based on my limited research
  8. Cars depreciate full stop (current market craziness notwithstanding) neither a Cayenne or a Panny GTS/Turbo will be a collector's car in 15 years' time so buy, drive, enjoy...
  9. Not sure - I buy them with slightly higher miles to get a better deal up front - I then drive lower than the average mileage because of my circumstances and reap the benefit on the trade-in - I'd say 60K plus is fine
  10. Not sure - my experience is that I have had a fewer issues with the V8TT than the V6TT but neither has been a bear
  11. as @Slam08 said - this is really up to you and your needs - you can spec a turbo out to be a GTS with 100 more HP but that will be difficult to find 2nd hand. I saw a lot of Turbos with modest specs and with bland interiors when I last looked a year ago and I personally can't get with the fake wood and chrome thing - 90% of GTS' look the part from the build-sheet and have a lot of the handling upgrades as standard.
Hey man, thanks for putting so much effort into your reply, greatly appreciate that 👍🏻

Ugh... no heads-up sucks lol that's one of my most favorite features in my car, I guess I can get along without it if other areas of the car makes up for it. I had a hard time finding 2017 GTS/Turbos, most I've came across were '16 and '16 but definitely '17 would be my preference. Though I plan to completely change the PCM unit to something more modern, I've seen some really nice ones, I probably won't be able to do it myself but there are some reputable body shops around my area that I can have them do it. I'm sort of an audiophile and greatly appreciate high quality audio but just like you can't justify to pay 5K for a car system unless it's accounted in the price at little to no extra cost.

1) Copy that! basically the best bet would be to limit the search within Porsche's official dealerships as opposed to 3rd party dealers. Though I think this might greatly limit an already limited selection. Would you say in opinion a CPO car from a 3rd party dealer might not be of the same standards/quality as one from Porsche's dealer?

2) TBH this one got me concerned quite a bit... I guess my expectations are quite a bit off for this car, I was expecting quite a stark difference between say GTS and my car in terms of handling, cornering and overall driving dynamics obviously in favor of Porsche, but now that you said that it made me worry... the thing is I don't even find my car to be half-decent dynamically and don't think it handles well at corners, slow throttle response, tamed engine, no soul, basically it's a mundane, monotone, dull car, there is no "experience" to be had and all this hols true about my previous car which was 2020 M550 and I didn't it impressive at all, in fact... I found it to be worse than my current car in terms of driving dynamics(450lbs front heavy, AWD + V8).

Okay I think I'd need to get a clarity on the #2 point as honestly that's a dealbreaker for me. Would you say it's unlikely for either the GTS or Turbo to be more dynamic, more agile, nimbler, more maneuverable, peppier, than my current 540i? cause I don't find my current car to be neither of these things and it's pretty spec'ed out too. Honestly anything less dynamically than my current car would be severely disappointing 😕

By the way in the chance of coming out as ignorant I want to say that I do totally get the higher center gravity and the physics are against any taller car compared to an equivalent sedan/coupe it's just I was expecting Porsche's SUV execution would be better(or at least equal to) than BMW's sedan's execution in terms of driving dynamics on the basis of it being... a Porsche?

I appreciate for addressing all the other questions as well, got some great info from them, it helps to weed out and narrow my search in this ever-shrinking car market.

Peace 🙏🏻

Last edited by Porsche Curious; 05-09-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:34 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

V8 Turbo! It will be effortless in everything you ask of it. The growl alone will confirm the decision. Seems like your wanting something that satisfies your senses and just maybe provokes some emotions. I strongly suggest you find 1 or 2 to test drive.

Last edited by Diesel4Life; 05-09-2022 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:48 PM
Porsche Curious
6th Gear

Originally Posted by sidpost
For the sheer joy of driving, that Macan with the V6 and PDK transmission was far and away the funniest SUV I have ever driven! If you don't need the size, bulk and capacity of the larger SUV, a new or used Macan with its PDK transmission is an easy win for myself. My friend got a Cayenne GTS.

You could buy a Macan new from a dealer so, no worries about CPO or service for a few years. They are nimble and super fun for a spirited drive. Being smaller overall while having the SUV storage capacity to me makes them an easy choice for myself.

Running on the highway access road at ~25MPH with the transmission manually bumped up to 7th is super fun when you stomp the accelerator and it goes to 1st from 7th with 2nd preselected and your friends' eyes become as large as coffee sauciers!

My other friend's BMW 540 makes me think the Macan would be a better option for you. Even though it is an SUV, I don't find it near as top heavy as the Cayenne which lacks that awesome PDK transmission! I dare say the Macan handles better than the 540 too!
Thanks for your input man, appreciate that 🙂

I've contemplated the Macan at one point but ruled out for 2 main reasons.

1. Honestly I can't help but think it's more of a feminine car, at least here in LA. So far every Macan I've seen was driven by a female, now... there is nothing wrong to get it as a man(obviously) and obviously nothing prohibiting about it lol, but it's just that feeling I can't quite describe having that car in LA gives me lol, now that I think about it honestly it might have more to do with LA than the car itself.... The only way I see myself having this car is if I get it heavily modded. Like some kind of full body kit that sets it apart from the rest of Macans in the wild.

2. To be honest I just don't quite understand the CUV segment, the way I see them(could simply be my ignorance, pardon me if that's the case) it's neither an SUV nor a sports sedan but compromises on the both ends, it's not as spacious as a sedan and it's not as utilitarian as an SUV. Is my perception wrong here?

I personally think Macan is just too small for me, even though as I mentioned in my original post I usually don't carry people with me but I've that unsettling feeling about driving an SUV that's not really an SUV.

Also if I'm not mistaken the '15-'18(958.2) Cayenne Turbos come with the PDK that can be found in Macans right? in that case one would expect the tranny in Cayenne to be as smooth and as well calibrated as the one in Macan right?

Also I read Macan's interior quality and materials isn't on par with the rest of the Porsche line-up, can you confirm if you think that's the case?

I'd like to know if you've driven your friends GTS, how would you compare it to yours? Macan GTS? and what year is his GTS?

Though one can't deny the driving dynamics that car probably has lol I'm sure it handles better than many sports sedans and being a newer car you get to have the latest infotainment as well as the factory warranty which is relieve in case something goes wrong.

From what I'm reading your implicitly hint that Cayenne GTS/Turbo won't handle as well as my current car?

Thanks again man, appreciate your input much.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:53 PM
Porsche Curious
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Diesel4Life
V8 Turbo! It will be effortless in everything you ask of it. The growl alone will confirm the decision. Seems like your wanting something that satisfies your senses and just maybe provokes some emotions. I strongly suggest you find 1 or 2 to test drive.
That's a very accurate way to put it, aha, I'm definitely looking for a car that's exciting to drive, has some kind of "thrill" or and "edge" to it you know, something with a personality and soul. Not just freight train that feels like a video game from the driver's point and along with that since this is going to be my only car it needs to have at least the basic necessary amenities, you know... comfortable ride, AC, cooled seats would be cool, just regular stuff you'd expect from a daily car.

I'm definetely on the look out right now trying to pin down some GTS and Turbos I can test drive but they aren't easy to find to be honest, though I found one GTS that I'm gonna test drive in the next 2-3 days and still looking for a Turbo.

Thanks for the input man 🙏🏻

Last edited by Porsche Curious; 05-10-2022 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:05 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

@Porsche Curious You can only get a car CPOd from a genuine Porsche dealer. The dealer will go through the car, checking out many different issues. Many used cars won't even be considered for CPO due to condition or accident damage, etc. I guess that a car with CPO coverage *could* be traded in at non-Porsche dealer and then resold; perhaps the CPO would stay intact. Don't know.

If you *want* a CPO vehicle, find one already covered. It's highly unlikely that you will get a dealer to CPO a car for you if they haven't already done it. If they have a really clean car on the lot, then maybe...but...

I was fortunate...I found my CS at a dealer 1400 miles away. Sold new by that dealer, serviced exclusively, and traded in for a new Porsche. CPO'd. Listed as a used car for resale by the dealer on a Wednesday morning...I was the first caller that morning and had my credit card out. I would not have acted that quickly without the CPO coverage. I would have gone through the hassle of a PPI, or continued to search for another vehicle. This one happened to also have all the major options I needed...so I jumped.

Found it via the porsche.com car finder, btw.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:08 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

A CPO'ed car has to come from either a Porsche dealer or an individual. The car does not retain the CPO if purchased from any other entity. (Unless the transfer of ownership is not reported to Porsche. IE- they don't find out.) A CPO is 2 years long however Porsche now offers CPO +1 for a total of 3 years of CPO coverage.
Some dealers will do an "in and out". You find the car you want, the dealer purchases the car on your behalf, does the CPO and then sells the car to you. The costs of doing so are the costs of the CPO to Porsche, costs to bring the car up to CPO standards and a small fee for doing so, say around $1,000-$2,000. My experience is that a Porsche dealer will CPO a car on their lot for you if you want to buy the car and pay for what I have already mentioned above.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:59 AM
Porsche Curious
6th Gear

Originally Posted by WaltB
A CPO'ed car has to come from either a Porsche dealer or an individual. The car does not retain the CPO if purchased from any other entity. (Unless the transfer of ownership is not reported to Porsche. IE- they don't find out.) A CPO is 2 years long however Porsche now offers CPO +1 for a total of 3 years of CPO coverage.
Some dealers will do an "in and out". You find the car you want, the dealer purchases the car on your behalf, does the CPO and then sells the car to you. The costs of doing so are the costs of the CPO to Porsche, costs to bring the car up to CPO standards and a small fee for doing so, say around $1,000-$2,000. My experience is that a Porsche dealer will CPO a car on their lot for you if you want to buy the car and pay for what I have already mentioned above.
Ah I see, that makes sense. I thought CPO cars can be found in 3rd party car dealers too(I guess they still could... if they got traded-in for another car, but I guess this won't happen that often, from the sound of it most CPO'ed cars are leases that have been returned, can you confirm if my belief is correct?) but as it turns out only dealers and individuals can have CPO cars. That CPO+1 definitely sounds interest as that's something I'd be totally interested in as I'd like to keep this car for at least 3 years trouble free.

Here is a follow-up question.

Since you said a CPO car has to come from Porsche, then is it safe to assume by using Porsche's official finder tool I get to see all Porsches available across all Porsche dealers across North America? another way of asking is... is there a chance that some Porsche dealer might have the car I need on the lot but it's not discoverable from the finder.porsche.com website?

Thank you 🙏🏻
Old 05-10-2022, 02:02 AM
sidpost
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche Curious

I've contemplated the Macan at one point but ruled out for 2 main reasons.
They are worth a second look IMHO!

1. Honestly I can't help but think it's more of a feminine car, at least here in LA. So far every Macan I've seen was driven by a female, now... there is nothing wrong to get it as a man(obviously) and obviously nothing prohibiting about it lol, but it's just that feeling I can't quite describe having that car in LA gives me lol, now that I think about it honestly it might have more to do with LA than the car itself.... The only way I see myself having this car is if I get it heavily modded. Like some kind of full body kit that sets it apart from the rest of Macans in the wild.
I can't speak for your feelings in LA with a Macan but, I'd take a 'Flaming Pink' Macan over a similarly equipped Cayenne in a more appropriate color. My manhood would remain intact and the smile on my face and joy of driving it would make the color irrelevant in the overall experience. Maybe a Ford Lightning would be more manly for LA traffic? Or, a jacked-up 4x4 Ford Super Duty diesel?

2. To be honest I just don't quite understand the CUV segment, the way I see them(could simply be my ignorance, pardon me if that's the case) it's neither an SUV nor a sports sedan but compromises on the both ends, it's not as spacious as a sedan and it's not as utilitarian as an SUV. Is my perception wrong here?
Personally, I find the Macan to be a good overall balance of a vehicle and significantly better than the common compact SUV alternatives, even from Audi, not to mention Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, ...

I'm 5'6" and wear a 40S suit coat so, perhaps my body size and yours are different enough to make the 'vehicle fit' different. That being said, the spaciousness and general comfort for me is a lot better in the Macan than my friend's BMW 540/550 (he has had two of them). My other friend really loves his Cayenne and Tiptronic/ZF transmission but, I find it a bit large and not as nimble on the road. I'm not really dissing his SUV as it is an awesome vehicle in its own right, it is just not the 'right one' for me.

The place where the BMW 5-series has an advantage is in the rear seat. The Macan is not anywhere close to a 911 rear seat but, it is a little bit more confined than the Bimmer. When I have found myself in the backseat of a Macan, it was comfortable but it was less spacious with everything being a bit closer to me. The Macan front seats are not as specious as the Cayenne but, they fit me better and are more 'inviting'! The Panoramic sunroof in my Macan was a beautiful sight when I found myself there!

The Macan weighs less and has less frontal area so, even though it has less Hp, it is no slouch for a sporty ride. My 72 year-old mother often did 40MPH over the posted limit if she was not on the cruise control! Seriously, kissing 100MPH in 55MPH zones! Triple digits are effortless with that luscious PDK transmission! I was in Arkansas on vacation and went to "Devils Den". I was lulled into a bit more speed than I should have been on this heavily tree-lined (no ditch or shoulder) state highway when I topped a grade to see a sharp 90degree turn that I was sure was going to put me in the trees. I violently yanked the wheel as far as I could and the Macan took it without any drama! Seriously, no tire squeal not one tree branch rub on the bodywork or anything else. That was a see your life flash before your eyes type of event and the Macan was unfazed and totally settled. Violent movements like that will topple most SUVs! The air ride suspension and 'sports' options on that Macan totally WORKED! I can't imagine running a 911 any harder than this and my friend's Corvette being enough longer probably would not have come out unscathed.

I personally think Macan is just too small for me, even though as I mentioned in my original post I usually don't carry people with me but I've that unsettling feeling about driving an SUV that's not really an SUV.
With the backseat folded down, it will hold a heck of lot more than any sedan. I think if you look at one with the backseat up and down, your concerns will prove unfounded. While not my preferred vehicle for 4 adults and a lot of luggage on a long vacation, it is certainly capable of doing that for 2 in comfort!

Also if I'm not mistaken the '15-'18(958.2) Cayenne Turbos come with the PDK that can be found in Macans right? in that case one would expect the tranny in Cayenne to be as smooth and as well calibrated as the one in Macan right?
I'm not aware of any of the Cayenne Turbos with a PDK but, honestly I don't follow them that closely so, I could have easily missed that feature.

Also I read Macan's interior quality and materials isn't on par with the rest of the Porsche line-up, can you confirm if you think that's the case?
With 4 years of nieces, nephews, a few pets, etc., the interior of my Macan COULD NOT BE DISTINGUISHED FROM NEW!

Leather quality and other materials to me are on par with what I see in the 911's I am familiar with; There is no skimping or use of inferior materials in my Macan that I could detect in 4 years.

I'd like to know if you've driven your friends GTS, how would you compare it to yours? Macan GTS? and what year is his GTS?
Mine was optioned to essentially match a Turbo Macan without the carbon fiber and about 30Hp less from the engine.

Both are awesome vehicles! I find the Cayenne to be "too big" for me. Like you, I generally travel alone and rarely have two adults in my vehicle. A bit of splitting hairs between awesome options! To me, I find the Cayenne to be a bit ponderous and not as sporty. The Cayenne will absolutely 'haul ***' and the ZF transmission works well. It is more spacious but, the dimensions seem to be a bit odd so things like my ice chest don't fit in it properly. It will absolutely hold more soft vacation bags and ice chests or, a huge shopping binge at the mall during Christmas.

The Macan simply fits me and my lifestyle better. That little V6 and PDK make it an ABSOLUTE HOOLIGAN if I want to mimic the 'bad' things commonly seen on YouTube. I find it to be more comfortable than the Cayenne with better seats and less of a reach for various controls. Ownership costs are a bit less but that is probably irrelevant for the most part with vehicles like this. Being physically smaller overall, I find the handling characteristics to be better along with more mundane stuff like parking in a crowded rest area during a holiday trip.

If I don't end up in something like a Tesla, I could easily see a new Turbo Macan in my future! I am looking at the Aston Martin coupes and Porsche Cayman's though (911's have gotten a bit big for me)! Notice a trend here? Smaller but, large enough, makes a more nimble ride for myself which puts a bigger smile on my face!

Though one can't deny the driving dynamics that car probably has lol I'm sure it handles better than many sports sedans and being a newer car you get to have the latest infotainment as well as the factory warranty which is relieve in case something goes wrong.
With lots of electronics, I generally try to trade every ~4 years. The Macan was brand new so, 'bumper to bumper' warranty for most of its life so, everything from windshield wipers to oil changes were free along with a full detail for any service. Even dropped it off once to figure out the security lock on the radio after a flat battery, when I came back later in the loaner, another full detail! Simply awesome ownership experience with my dealer!

From what I'm reading your implicitly hint that Cayenne GTS/Turbo won't handle as well as my current car?

Thanks again man, appreciate your input much.
The driving dynamics will be different. Handle as well is subjective but, I find the higher center of gravity and more overall mass to be detractors for me personally. Outside of a racetrack, most people aren't going to notice the difference. That being said, driving the Macan evokes the pleasure I get riding my Triumph Speed Triple RR (White is faster than red! ). That's 180Hp and 90ft/lbs of torque on a 450-pound motorcycle! Ohlins electronic suspension, Brembo 'race' brakes, ...

Notice any trends here?

Quick Reply: Buying my first Porsche ever - help me decide?