Sponsored By:

2012 Cayenne S Leather Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 01:16 PM
bigdogsb
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Cayenne S Leather Dashboard

I bought my 2012 Cayenne S new just about 10 tears ago. I specifically wanted the all leather option and as I recall it added over $5000 to the price.

Last year, all of the glue under the leather dashboard completely dissolved. Over a period of about 30 days, it started wrinkling up from the defroster vents back to the passenger area. The dealer said they would need to order a new dashboard at a cost of about $6000 installed. Obviously I am not too thrilled about that. I also have problems with the passenger and driver door panels getting "warped" somehow so the windows are getting pinched. I can roll them down, but it takes 2 people to roll them back up because someone needs both hands to pull the panel back to reduce the friction. The dealer wants almost $9000 total to replace both of those.

I live on the coast of California and we seldom have hot weather, and it is usually overcast half the day. I have owned numerous cars over the past 55 years and never had this kind of problem. Dash damage from sun is just not something we are much concerned with around here. The leather itself is not damaged, the glue just dissolved. How the doors "warped" is beyond me. Who ever heard of that? With the exception of the dash and doors, the car is in perfect condition and still looks like new. Still, I don't think I want to sink another $15000 in to fix defects in workmanship like this.

Has anyone else seen these kinds of problems or have any ideas how to fix them at a reasonable cost?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2022, 03:50 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 744 Likes on 533 Posts

Welcome to the forum @bigdogsb I would take the Cayenne to a good automotive upholstery shop to see what they would recommend.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:55 PM
970MS
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes! automotive upholstery shop would do it, but I know someone who did this and it cost them a lot of money.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:48 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
Welcome to the forum @bigdogsb I would take the Cayenne to a good automotive upholstery shop to see what they would recommend.
Agreed. Remove windshield and pick a matching vinyl or leather and have them redo it. Gonna cost either way.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:15 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Interested in what you end up doing and the cost. I've got a 2011 S with the same dash and noticed just a bit of wrinkling starting at the defroster vents also. Hope it doesn't get worse like yours though but good luck getting this fixed without breaking the bank.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:02 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Search the forums. There is an extensive thread on this and for those of you who are starting to experience shrinkage there is a preventative leather treatment several of the Rennlist members use to prevent exactly that and in some cases to get the leather to relax again minimizing the existing shrinkage. I think it’s called Leatherique
The following users liked this post:
Monetizer (03-01-2023)

Quick Reply: 2012 Cayenne S Leather Dashboard