Sponsored By:

Headlight Adjustment Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 09:54 PM
DAD2TWINS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Adjustment Help

I recently purchased a 2012 base with 70k miles on it. I traded an Audi Q5 for it- I love the car so far- The one issue I have found is the passenger low beam headlight shines in the trees. I need to know how to adjust it lower. I have found the screws in the side of the fender,but when I turn nothing happens-no movement. Am I doing something wrong? Turning the wrong screw?
Thanks for any help!
Old 04-23-2022, 02:35 PM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

HID housings or halogen bulbs?
Do the front lights move when switched on? e.g. if you park in front of a wall, do the lights dance "either down-up" or "down-up-in-out" when switching on? This would determine if you have motors in the housings or not, and there are further alignment points with those

Do both of the high-beams point at the same thing or are they also misaligned? If the high-beams are also misaligned the same, then the housing may not be seated correctly. If the highs are parallel, then the error is local to the low beam section.

When you take the headlight housing out of the car and you look in the access panel in the side, do you see anything that looks obviously broken or misaligned?

My guess at this point is that a previous owner screwed the adjustment off the end of the range. I'm not to osure how to fix that without having the benefit of being able to feel the parts as they are moved.

Last edited by cathalferris; 04-23-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:45 PM
DAD2TWINS
3rd Gear

Thanks for the quick response- It is a Bi-Xenon. The lights do dance up and down on start up.(Auto-Leveling) The Hi-Beam was initially lower than the driver sides Hi-Beam- but I think I have corrected that- just can not seem to get any movement on the low-beam-up or down....I am assuming I am turning the correct screw? ( top screw turning clockwise to lower?)

Thanks-
Old 04-24-2022, 10:12 AM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I honestly couldn#t remember which direction of twist meant which direction of movement.

Is there a significant difference in the feel between the adjustments between the left and right housings? Try the other side, and have the car ~20 foot from a wall so you can see any movement. If I remember correctly the direction of twist should have the same change of direction of beam on both sides. This will also let you know if your adjustment attempt is on the correct bulb or not.
That may then give a pointer to seeing ifthe adjustment mechanism is past the range of travel, and it *might* be possible to get it rethreaded, maybe with manipulation inside the housing with the housing off the car.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:34 PM
DAD2TWINS
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by cathalferris
I honestly couldn#t remember which direction of twist meant which direction of movement.

Is there a significant difference in the feel between the adjustments between the left and right housings? Try the other side, and have the car ~20 foot from a wall so you can see any movement. If I remember correctly the direction of twist should have the same change of direction of beam on both sides. This will also let you know if your adjustment attempt is on the correct bulb or not.
That may then give a pointer to seeing ifthe adjustment mechanism is past the range of travel, and it *might* be possible to get it rethreaded, maybe with manipulation inside the housing with the housing off the car.
That is a great idea-I just didnt want to screw up the other side-haha

Thanks
Old 02-22-2023, 10:21 AM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Where are the adjustment screw/s located? I need to make an adjustment on mine (PDLS) 2016. I assume they’re the same prior to facelift 958.2.

TIA

Ha ha, nevermind, found it… easy peasy!

Last edited by NoSubstitute981; 02-22-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:56 PM
qsharif
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone should make a video of this calibration
Old 09-26-2023, 11:17 AM
Gio_Hb
Track Day

Did you fire that out ? Facing same problem, turning the screw but nothing changes
Old 09-26-2023, 11:24 AM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gio_Hb
Did you fire that out ? Facing same problem, turning the screw but nothing changes
Can you post a photo of the screw you’re turning?
Old 09-26-2023, 02:08 PM
Gio_Hb
Track Day

That one
Old 09-26-2023, 02:09 PM
Gio_Hb
Track Day

I've posted some details about my issue here, appreciate if you can help: Post
Old 09-26-2023, 03:28 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

I've posted some details about my issue here, appreciate if you can help: Post
I read your post… Mine being PDLS, I’m not familiar with the non-PDLS but if I had to guess, I’d say something is either broken inside the light housing or the part that snaps onto the ball has become disconnected. The adjustment in the diagram is for horizontal (beam up, beam down) not sure about a side to side adjustment but I’d guess there is one somewhere.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:54 PM
Gio_Hb
Track Day

So the Ball of the Servo should be connected to the head of the mechanism rotating ? Any idea if there's a diagram for that ?
Old 09-26-2023, 04:17 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

So the Ball of the Servo should be connected to the head of the mechanism rotating ? Any idea if there's a diagram for that ?
Not aware of any diagram but I’m pretty sure that ball in your above photo should have something snapped to it. Does your light (inside the housing) move around at all or is it solid? It should feel solid. Obviously you’ll need to remove your headlight to check.

Heres a video of what’s inside these things and you can see the various ball studs that everything is mounted to.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...J&opi=89978449

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment Help