Sponsored By:

958 Head Unit Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 10:42 AM
JerseyGuy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958
Maybe I misunderstood. Are you saying your iSudar kit was a complete stand-alone head unit like what's pictured on their website for our Cayennes? See below. If so, that could be a viable option. My other question would be what happened to all the vehicle info/settings you would normally access through the factory PCM? Are they still available?

ISUDAR Car Multimedia Player For Porsche Cayenne 2010-2017 PCM 3.1,PCM 4.0

this is a whole headunit right? Looks like it might be promising. Any experience with these units beyond the motherboard addon they make?

I saw the pioneer one above too, but don’t like the plastic panels above it which frame it in place. Seems like a lot of blank space.

Last edited by JerseyGuy; 04-13-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:14 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Following as I'm interested in carplay, but not totally sold by reading the giant thread about joyeauto/isudar etc over here. Although, I did think that maybe the NM (is that the one from the UK) was different or at least had really good tech support.

There's a shop in Dallas where I know some rennlisters have had these units installed in 958s and panameras. They're called Bonnie & Clydes. Might be worth giving them a call just to pick their brain?
Old 04-13-2022, 11:30 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by vwbrd
Following as I'm interested in carplay, but not totally sold by reading the giant thread about joyeauto/isudar etc over here. Although, I did think that maybe the NM (is that the one from the UK) was different or at least had really good tech support.

There's a shop in Dallas where I know some rennlisters have had these units installed in 958s and panameras. They're called Bonnie & Clydes. Might be worth giving them a call just to pick their brain?
I was thinking of getting the NM kit also - I've never heard of any issues with this system and I'm guessing it's not related to those other systems you referenced. I did a very different setup on my old Cayenne GTS, you can read it in here (starts on page 74) https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ispreloading=1
Old 04-13-2022, 11:46 AM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyGuy

this is a whole headunit right? Looks like it might be promising. Any experience with these units beyond the motherboard addon they make?

I saw the pioneer one above too, but don’t like the plastic panels above it which frame it in place. Seems like a lot of blank space.
This seems like the best option out there. Can’t wait to see someone go for it. El Spoon, go for it and let me know how it works
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 09:23 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyGuy

I saw the pioneer one above too, but don’t like the plastic panels above it that frame it in place. Seems like a lot of blank space.
That picture is misleading, IMHO. The iSudar kit that I believe we're all referring to is just an internal module board for the PCM along with the necessary cables/adapters/whatever. Much more simple than the other retrofit kits out there that have a secondary external box you have to tuck somewhere. So no, the iSudar kit is NOT a whole headunit.

The Pioneer aftermarket head unit (or any, really) that would fit our vehicles either A) would fit nicely in the space we have (most aftermarket unit screens are 6.8-7" it seems) and/or B) with the adapter "kit", it would all fit together and look solid and clean up nicely. I'm not sure the factory sound would be any better, but you'd certainly get Android Auto & CarPlay with any of the quality aftermarket head units i.e. Pioneer 2660NEX I was looking at. Problem is, who knows what happens to all the vehicle settings that you access through the PCM lol

This is the adapter setup you'd purchase in addition to the head unit itself + installation labor. You're easily looking at 4 digits vs the iSudar or other retro**** kits. CTKPO09 BLACK DOUBLE DIN FACIA INFODPATER MOST 25 AMPLIFIED FOR PORSCHE CAYENNE

Old 05-30-2022, 08:33 PM
Kansas83
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone take this any further? I just ordered a metra install kit but it’s back ordered. Trying to decide on a head unit now. Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese head units (not the retrofit boards)? Looking for CarPlay and top sound quality. I will be adding an aftermarket amp to my 2016 gts. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2022, 08:01 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by vwbrd
I can vouch for Nick's tech support...he's been very helpful.

Those damn ribbon cables are a huge PITA. I'm on my seventh R&R, I think...looks like one of the ribbon cables to the screen might be a bit crooked...sigh... Will pick it up again this morning.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:58 AM
lacibaci
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Some models already have Android Auto. It's just not enabled. I had @simaservis1108 enable it on my 2017. Works great without any sketchy boards and software. See this post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18162205
Old 10-14-2022, 02:32 AM
original_meatwad
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I've found my spirit animal in this thread starter. Should we add a box or replace the unit? Do we want to install 11 new (or 20) speakers? Will my playlist jumping from Beethoven to Cardi B ruin another Tinder date?

The answer to all these questions is Whisky.

mallenbiker (04-30-2024)
Old 12-19-2022, 02:06 AM
hamishpotter
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Suncoast option $$

This might be more viable, but expensive..

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/K958DD.html
Old 12-19-2022, 08:48 AM
Visualistics
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had my Aoonav unit from AliExpress installed for about a week and it’s been pretty good. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto works well, connects fast, and the unit as a whole feels OEM quality. Some quirks of course but overall happy with the added functionality, improved tech, better aesthetics, and CarPlay ability so far. Install was fairly easy once I figured out what I was doing. As usual with most AliExpress stuff, the instructions were not great… customer service was good though. They answered my questions fast and thoroughly.

Link to the one I bought: US $404.80 20% Off | 128GB Android Car Radio multimedia player For porsche cayenne 958 porche porshe cayenne 2010-2017 car stereo head unit carplay
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0vBFYe
jayi836 (06-29-2023)
Old 12-20-2022, 04:52 PM
Neil4speed
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for sharing, I might look at this in the future, seems like a really nice upgrade.

Question, how fast does the BT pick up when you get in? That lag I find to be really annoying in mine.

Also... Any options in terms of the audio equalizer. Ie. is the quality any better from the bose?

Appreciate the photos from the other thread!
Old 12-20-2022, 05:01 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Now this looks promising for us 958.2 owners prior to 2017. I'm just wondering how much is gonna be involved with recoding along with any other hiccups...

The following 2 users liked this post by BrewDude:
ElSpoon958 (03-05-2023), Needsdecaf (12-21-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 06:15 PM
Visualistics
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil4speed
Thanks for sharing, I might look at this in the future, seems like a really nice upgrade.

Question, how fast does the BT pick up when you get in? That lag I find to be really annoying in mine.

Also... Any options in terms of the audio equalizer. Ie. is the quality any better from the bose?

Appreciate the photos from the other thread!
BT/CarPlay picks up in about 10 seconds. It isn't instant, but quicker than the stock PCM was for me.

Equalizer has a ton of presets and like 12 sliders or something to adjust custom if you want. Not an audio guy, but quality sounds the same as stock to me.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,376 Likes on 795 Posts

Just to be clear, this unit has wireless android auto? Also, any benefit to the larger ram or memory (8gb)

Thanks

Quick Reply: 958 Head Unit Upgrades