moisture/water in headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 01:43 PM
biga1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default moisture/water in headlights

hi Guys,

I got a 2017 Cayenne S. I noticed this morning that there is moisture inside my headlights. Looks like a a good amount but not a pool of water or anything. I called Porsche of Arlington VA and they said this is normal? I called another Porsche in Tysons and they said it is not normal? The guy in Arlington stated that these headlights are made this way and even on the 2019 body style and newer, they have some holes that cool the headlights to prevent overheating. I think this is bull****. Please advise if I need to get new headlights. I have a warranty so not worried about cost etc. I don't like having water in my headlights and think its tacky/trashy especially on a 100k car.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:35 AM
Simeon
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I've seen a Porsche Service bulletin about the water in the headlights and it essentially says that it's ok to have some fogging up until the point where you have water droplets on the inside and that is when the dealer is authorized to replace them under warranty.

Sadly I've seen this problem on many high end expensive luxury cars including Mercedes S-Class. I agree it looks bad and I also don't like it. We've actually only had fogging on our 2017 CS after it got washed at the dealer when we were purchasing it and I think it's been ok since. Usually washing in cold weather has caused this on other cars in my experience as well, but we've also definitely washed the Cayenne in down to 20F temps since we got it and haven't seen it repeat. Perhaps even the humidity in the ambient air makes a difference.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:12 PM
mbb126
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed some similar condensation in my new (to me) 2014 Turbo. It seems to appear on humid days after a rainstorm but mainly go away if the car is in some sunlight for a bit after. Still it's clear there is some sealing issue with the gasket that needs to be fixed.

I found this video which looked like a pretty effective and easy DIY. I haven't done it yet but looks doable.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:23 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

As mentioned, fogging is normal, as long as it goes away within a day or so and doesn't turn into condensation. If you see droplets forming and running down the headlight to pool in the bottom, then it's a water intrusion problem and needs to be fixed.
You cannot just apply silicon around the light like in the video linked, that will fail in a few months and you'll be back to square one. If you have warranty, push them for replacement if water is pooling, as there's no easy fix - you need to brake open the headlight and replace the silicon. Porsche headlights are glued together with silicon, not butyl rubber like most other car makes, so baking them does not work. Have to physically pry it apart and break the remaining silicon bead, which requires considerable force and can result in damage to the lens. This is why it's almost impossible to find aftermarket company that will take on Porsche lights - risk of damage is too high, replacement lights too expensive if one is cracked.
Good luck!
Old 02-09-2022, 09:40 PM
biga1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
As mentioned, fogging is normal, as long as it goes away within a day or so and doesn't turn into condensation. If you see droplets forming and running down the headlight to pool in the bottom, then it's a water intrusion problem and needs to be fixed.
You cannot just apply silicon around the light like in the video linked, that will fail in a few months and you'll be back to square one. If you have warranty, push them for replacement if water is pooling, as there's no easy fix - you need to brake open the headlight and replace the silicon. Porsche headlights are glued together with silicon, not butyl rubber like most other car makes, so baking them does not work. Have to physically pry it apart and break the remaining silicon bead, which requires considerable force and can result in damage to the lens. This is why it's almost impossible to find aftermarket company that will take on Porsche lights - risk of damage is too high, replacement lights too expensive if one is cracked.
Good luck!

Old 02-09-2022, 11:37 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by biga1
Yup, that's condensation alright on the left. Right side in the picture is fogging, left side is condensation. That headlight is pooched. Good luck bickering with the insurance company.
Now even if they replace it, you're gonna have one light that is new and another that is not quite that new. May not be that visible now, but will be in a year or two as the old headlight degrades more and more (depends on where you live and how much time the car spends in the sun though). Then your car will look as if it's been wrecked on one side and repaired with a new light.
Best bet is to get clear bra on both lights, which should protect both from UV light and hold back the inevitable plastic degradation.
If I were you, I'd pocket the money for the new light and attempt to open and re-seal the existing light (that's what I did on my 957 GTS). If that fails, get a used light on eBay or car-part from a car with comparable mileage so that they both look about equally weathered.
Oh, the joys of having a car that's not quite new anymore...
Old 02-10-2022, 09:48 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 538 Posts

Check for pin sized holes caused by gravel strikes. Daughter's Q5 had this issue, failed Mass inspection as a result. I looked into clear bra, found some reports that it might *cause* lens failure, ended up using clear fingernail polish to seal holes. Not sure this is permanent, recently picked up a windshield repair kit, might use that material to seal/reseal pinholes.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:42 PM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
Check for pin sized holes caused by gravel strikes. Daughter's Q5 had this issue, failed Mass inspection as a result. I looked into clear bra, found some reports that it might *cause* lens failure, ended up using clear fingernail polish to seal holes. Not sure this is permanent, recently picked up a windshield repair kit, might use that material to seal/reseal pinholes.
I have many years of clear PPF use on the headlights of many vehicles, no headlight failure. The "may cause lens failure" bit sounds like the quiet fast-talking part of an ad for a pharmaceutical...
Old 02-15-2023, 11:16 AM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I’m just going to give my .02 here and say that ANYONE that tells you this condensation is normal is blowing smoke up yer ****!!! Plain and simple!
I have three different Porsche’s and only one vehicle (one headlight, not the other) with this issue. Yes, they aren’t completely sealed, for a reason. I’ve re-sealed mine and several others (not an easy task) and gee, no more condensation inside the housing, go figure…

If you are experiencing this issue, call PNA yourself and open a claim. I’ve found they are, in a lot of cases, willing to make the customer happy even out of warranty. Especially if you’ve owned several Porsche cars. Trust me, they will ask. They will not verify how many you say you’ve owned if you catch my drift. Be insistent about how unhappy you are. It may be a month or so before they get back to you. It also helps if you local Porsche service advisor will assist by taking some photos, etc.

Having said all that, Hella makes Porsche headlights. The glue used to seal the lens to the body is not Butyl but more like tire rubber. You’d think that would be better but it does and will fail! Butyl on the other hand remains soft and pliable. Most Asian import headlights use this material. I’ve re-sealed these headlights for myself and others using butyl rope and have yet to hear my phone ring!

Cheers all…
The following 2 users liked this post by NoSubstitute981:
delauren667 (04-16-2024), John Henry Dale (03-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2023, 06:12 PM
VarioSpam
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a bit of condensation in both, which gradually got worse in the RHS over winter (damp & temperatures 0-10C). I recently took it out and dried the unit with a hairdryer. Now it is warmer, the condensation hasn't returned after a week or so. However, I have a few questions; I'd be grateful for your views:

1. The main cover for the xenon bulb has a clip broken and has been held in place with a cable tie - see pic. It is quite firm, but not perfect. I'm wondering if this could be the reason that this side is worse. Other than this, the rubber seal is fine and I can't see any deterioration.
2. Any advice where to order the cover from, other than scouring eBay (UK)? I presume the part code 7P5 941 608 covers referring to the correct L/R side and RHD/LHD.
3. There's also a drain plug with a round filter paper about 1" dia. (see pic). Perhaps it could benefit from a new one. Any suggestion on the type of filter paper to use for this?

Thank you!

Old 04-18-2023, 07:28 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Originally Posted by VarioSpam
I had a bit of condensation in both, which gradually got worse in the RHS over winter (damp & temperatures 0-10C). I recently took it out and dried the unit with a hairdryer. Now it is warmer, the condensation hasn't returned after a week or so. However, I have a few questions; I'd be grateful for your views:

1. The main cover for the xenon bulb has a clip broken and has been held in place with a cable tie - see pic. It is quite firm, but not perfect. I'm wondering if this could be the reason that this side is worse. Other than this, the rubber seal is fine and I can't see any deterioration.
2. Any advice where to order the cover from, other than scouring eBay (UK)? I presume the part code 7P5 941 608 covers referring to the correct L/R side and RHD/LHD.
3. There's also a drain plug with a round filter paper about 1" dia. (see pic). Perhaps it could benefit from a new one. Any suggestion on the type of filter paper to use for this?

Thank you!

One thing to remember is gravity. Water doesn’t typically go up unless provoked.
The cover in your photo is to access the high beam bulb so I’d say that’s not your issue nor is the vent.
The glue Hella uses has the propensity to fail in harsh climates. You wouldn’t know it by looking at it from the outside. You simply need to buy a new headlight assembly or take yours apart and reseal it. I’m referring to the actual lens. The latter is not an easy task. In my case, it took me about an hour or so wrestling with it after heating it in the oven at 220 degrees for about 20 minutes three different times and prying with a screwdriver. There are 5 staples around the edge that need to be removed first.
What you might try is using a silicone sealant around the perimeter of the lens first to see if that works. Amazon sells a tube that comes with a pencil type tip to get it into the crevice between the lens and housing.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:48 PM
VarioSpam
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoSubstitute981
... The glue Hella uses has the propensity to fail in harsh climates. You wouldn’t know it by looking at it from the outside. ... What you might try is using a silicone sealant around the perimeter of the lens first to see if that works..
Thanks for the advice. I thought maybe when driving at speed in wet conditions water might find its way through that cover, but perhaps that's far fetched. Also, it was the only thing I could see that in any way looked wrong.

Next time I wash the car it or it rains heavily I'll see if there's any leak. I don't fancy replacing it but I can see that trying to prise it apart and rebond it is a challenge. What type of glue is required and why is the very high temp necessary?
Old 04-18-2023, 07:56 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Originally Posted by VarioSpam
Thanks for the advice. I thought maybe when driving at speed in wet conditions water might find its way through that cover, but perhaps that's far fetched. Also, it was the only thing I could see that in any way looked wrong.

Next time I wash the car it or it rains heavily I'll see if there's any leak. I don't fancy replacing it but I can see that trying to prise it apart and rebond it is a challenge. What type of glue is required and why is the very high temp necessary?
The temp helps soften the glue. To reseal, I used butyl rope after removing ALL of the old glue. I did this by simply grabbing some with needle nose pliers and turning it so it wrapped around the plier tip. Rinse, wash repeat. There are some Utube videos that kinda go over the process.
The following users liked this post:
VarioSpam (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 08:38 PM
VarioSpam
Instructor

Oh yes, I see the multitude of videos showing this process of resealing. I'd be so likely to crack it trying to do do that!! Hopefully I'll be OK for the summer, maybe with occasionally drying it out or trying the short term hack of applying extra sealant as in the video above - it has a few responses of people saying that worked, but I suppose its just short term.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:39 AM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

I’d try the sealant. I think if you clean things well it’ll hold up for quit some time.
as far as the lens goes, it’s a polycarbonate lens. VERY tough. Just not an easy task. I did mine that way because I wanted to paint the insides black.
So now my car is ALL black… wheels, headlights, trim, taillights, etc. Black edition. Looks pretty killer IMO.
The following users liked this post:
VarioSpam (04-19-2023)

Quick Reply: moisture/water in headlights