Sponsored By:

Lithium Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 09:18 AM
Michael Matteson
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lithium Battery

I am considering putting an Antigravity Lithium battery in my 2013 Cayenne S. I have been told by my mechanic that installing a non-Porsche battery will result in overcharging and failure of the new battery, as it is not registered with the ECU. As far as I know, only a Porsche battery has a valid registration number that can be entered (registered) when installing a new battery.
This Antigravity battery has its own charging control system, which I think would not allow the ECU to overcharge the battery.
Anyone had any experience with using an Antigravity battery in their 958?
Or any other lithium battery with its own built-in charging controls?

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h7-rs/
Old 12-24-2021, 09:36 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Why? Im sure it will work fine but whats the point?
Old 12-24-2021, 09:46 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 315 Posts

There are some good threads on this topic.
Your original battery has lasted almost NINE years.
Buy a battery equivalent to what PORSCHE recommends.
Then get it registered.
You will not have to worry about your battery for another nine years.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:04 AM
Michael Matteson
8th Gear

Default The point is

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Why? Im sure it will work fine but whats the point?
1. I don't like being forced to use a Porsche battery.
2. I think the Antigravity battery might last longer.
3. The Antigravity battery has RE-START Technology: Wireless Jump-Starting built-in; just press the button on the included Keyfob remote.
The following users liked this post:
World Player (06-11-2024)
Old 12-24-2021, 10:06 AM
Michael Matteson
8th Gear

There are no equivalent batteries that can be registered as far as I know. I talked to one shop who tried to fool the ECU by slightly altering the previous registration number but they have had problems doing that recently.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:13 AM
Umber
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Matteson
There are no equivalent batteries that can be registered as far as I know. I talked to one shop who tried to fool the ECU by slightly altering the previous registration number but they have had problems doing that recently.
Usually changing one digit on serial number is enough. So you just buy similar capacity good brand AGM battery and use the information on original battery BEM code.
here is a picture of 105Ah varta battery BEM code.

Old 12-24-2021, 02:02 PM
Michael Matteson
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Umber
Usually changing one digit on serial number is enough. So you just buy similar capacity good brand AGM battery and use the information on original battery BEM code.
here is a picture of 105Ah varta battery BEM code.
Thanks. I think that is what the local shop had been doing, and lately they said it rarely works now. That's all the detail I have. Have you done this successfully lately?
Old 12-24-2021, 02:49 PM
Umber
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Have a 2015 still on original battery. But maybe people could post pictures of their BEM codes in a thread that other members then could use, when they replace the battery?
Old 12-25-2021, 08:26 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 326 Likes on 267 Posts

I am considering putting an Antigravity Lithium battery in my 2013 Cayenne S. I have been told by my mechanic that installing a non-Porsche battery will result in overcharging and failure…

Please look at the antigravity battery thread. Your car has a very good charge control system. Why duplicate?
Old 12-26-2021, 02:20 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,054 Likes on 592 Posts

I am considering putting an Antigravity Lithium battery in my 2013 Cayenne S. I have been told by my mechanic that installing a non-Porsche battery will result in overcharging and failure of the new battery, as it is not registered with the ECU. As far as I know, only a Porsche battery has a valid registration number that can be entered (registered) when installing a new battery.
This Antigravity battery has its own charging control system, which I think would not allow the ECU to overcharge the battery.
Anyone had any experience with using an Antigravity battery in their 958?

Hi Michael, the mechanic unfortunately is not speaking accurately, The facts are that all 12v Lead/Acid Batteries, that physically fit as required into your Cayenne, will absolutely work. As an FYI whether you have a Car, Boat, Motorcycle, Tractor or other 12v Vehicle system they all work the same, and while there may be a mild difference in the Charging profile they are using the same general Charging System parameters to work with a 12v Battery so they can be changed-out with any other battery that will fit in the Battery Tray area and provides you with relatively the same Amp Hours, and Cranking power that your specific vehicle requires. But the fact remains you can get a larger or even smaller battery and it will function correctly in your vehicle. There are slight differences in the Charging profile for AGM vs Flooded Lead, and in modern cars, the cars system (PIWIS for Porsches) can be programmed for the best profile suited to your vehicle. But we have reviewed those profiles and there is barely any difference in them, or sufficient enough difference to really change it dramatically when installing our Lithium Battery. Porsche uses AGM in all their Modern Cars so they are set for that so you don't have to change anything really or re-register a battery even when you change out a battery to our Lithium Battery. You could simply swap it in without all the Programming Registration. Last registering the battery allows the car to know how long the battery is in the car for and they claim the charging profile changes with age of the battery, but I sort of think it used more for the data to have the Dealership claim it a new time for a battery. The fact is Lead/Acid Batteries are only lasting 3-4 year nowadays, and in that time the changing of a profile slightly is not going to effect its life.

We could also supply you with a Battery Tracker to check you current battery's charging profile as it sits now and tell you exactly why it would work with Lithium once we see it from your normal driving patterns. If the Cars charging system is functioning normally it does not matter what setting your have for your battery with our Lithium battery since it can accept most any Lead/Acid Charging profile without a hitch. My point here is just to say that the Registration process for an Antigravity Battery in 99% of the cases will not need any update at all because they can handle the charging profile of any AGM or Flooded Lead/Acid Battery. In fact Porsche has a Lithium Battery setting in the PIWIS system and we tell people NOT to change it to the Lithium Battery setting because you don't need to since the Porsche lithium settings don't do much different than the AGM setting and simply confuse the issue for Mechanics that are unfamiliar with this, and the Charging profile won't really change from any others as our testing has shown.

Last our protection systems do not control the ECU, but rather simply prevent and ECU/Charging system on a Car that might have a malfunction from doing damage to the battery. But most modern charging systems in cars are very stable and stay within a general charging range and that will not effect our battery at all.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to us at scott@antigravitybatteries.com or chad@antigravitybatteries.com. And should you have any issues will will take back our battery and pay shipping back. up to 6 months later. In a Cayenne being from what I have read they have a higher level of Parasitic Drain on them you would probably want to go with a 60Ah Lithium Battery... but a 60Ah Lithium is like a 100Ah Lead/Acid in terms of energy density.
DFI (12-27-2021)
Old 01-14-2022, 06:12 AM
Ambroos
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Battery energy density doesn't go up fast enough to allow for refreshing a car with the same size but more capacity just yet. The Taycan already has a high capacity battery and is quite efficient.

More capacity in the next few years will only be possible in bigger cars (blobs like the Lucid Air or Mercedes EQS, or big trucks/SUVs).

The Taycan was the first car with an 800V battery pack and that alone has firmly made it future proof for a good few more years.

Real world range is a lot more than the EPA estimates too. The Taycan is really not far off of a Tesla in actual range.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:01 AM
mdistel
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Delete

Last edited by mdistel; 06-10-2024 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:46 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Seeing how active the charging strategy is in the Cayenne (watch your voltage, it moves all over once your battery is topped off) I would be very reluctant to use an entirely different chemistry battery with very different voltage discharge characteristics and internal resistance in it. Especially considering you are sitting on top of it.
Old 06-10-2024, 12:18 PM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 199 Posts

Guys, this is an old thread that some AI-bot resurrected in post #12.

Old 06-10-2024, 12:51 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Trio
Guys, this is an old thread that some AI-bot resurrected in post #12.

Deleted.
Trio (06-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery