Sponsored By:

2014 Cayenne Base - heat in cabin, weak at best

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 10:49 PM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Cayenne Base - heat in cabin, weak at best

Been troubleshooting poor heat in the Cayenne now for past 1-2 weeks as temps are getting cold just outside Boston area. I'm noticing that this morning, it took 20 minutes of driving for the temp to reach 200Degrees on the Coolant, I found that to be a VERY long time. Heat coming out was minimal at best.

Is this a classic bad thermostat? I had an appointment for Porsche service, but my day was so hectic I had to postpone, but I'll take it back in - just curious the forums experience on the 958.

Also, have folks experienced similar issues with bad heat? 39k on block, 2014 Base here, in otherwise very nice condition (seemingly, haha)

Thanks, all! Happy Friday!
Old 12-04-2021, 09:36 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

It took a Porsche Gold Tech to find the problem on my 2014 Base.
It is a CPO so covered.
It was a small valve electronically controlled on the inner fender

The Porsche Dealership had to order it from Germany, not stocked at the time in USA

When I called them and said there was little to no heat, which also meant defrost didn't work.
They had a flat bed at my house in 30 minutes and took it over 100 miles to Dealership Syracuse, NY.

It took a week due to travel time for part, but they corrected the problem.

Last edited by NYoutftr; 12-04-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:37 PM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

@NYoutftr Thanks for your response. I take it in Thursday morning, no flat bed service here. But if they fix it, I'll be a toasty marshmallow!

Any other folks experienced in colder climates with how long it's taking for your vehicle to get to op temps? Please give me some feedback. Cheers!
Old 12-05-2021, 09:25 AM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,723 Posts

that electronic valve on the inner fender should not affect the engine temp guage. If your engine temp reads cold, then that tells me thermostat.

If engine is hot and heat is cold, then that would lead to the fender.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:31 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
that electronic valve on the inner fender should not affect the engine temp guage. If your engine temp reads cold, then that tells me thermostat.

If engine is hot and heat is cold, then that would lead to the fender.
It did not affect the temperature gauge.
It kept water from flowing to the heater core.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:17 AM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

Local Porsche community. How long does it take for your Porsche Cayenne 958, preferably model close to 2014 take to get to op temp of 200 degrees F for Coolant?
December 6: 42 degrees ambient outside, it took 16 minutes for 174 degrees and then 21 minutes total of driving for 200 degrees. TIA

Originally Posted by CaymanS-06
Been troubleshooting poor heat in the Cayenne now for past 1-2 weeks as temps are getting cold just outside Boston area. I'm noticing that this morning, it took 20 minutes of driving for the temp to reach 200Degrees on the Coolant, I found that to be a VERY long time. Heat coming out was minimal at best.

Is this a classic bad thermostat? I had an appointment for Porsche service, but my day was so hectic I had to postpone, but I'll take it back in - just curious the forums experience on the 958.

Also, have folks experienced similar issues with bad heat? 39k on block, 2014 Base here, in otherwise very nice condition (seemingly, haha)

Thanks, all! Happy Friday!
Old 12-06-2021, 03:54 PM
njech7
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's about 50 degrees here in Jersey today and it took 8 minutes approximately for the coolant to get to 201 F. Hope that helps. 2012 Base Manual.

Last edited by njech7; 12-06-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:34 PM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by njech7
It's about 50 degrees here in Jersey today and it took 8 minutes approximately for the coolant to get to 201 F. Hope that helps. 2012 Base Manual.
Yes! Keep them coming, that's a great data point for me even though it wasn't that cold out.
Love to know what a 32 degree cold start or 38 degree cold start produces. Tomorrow will be chilly, I'm going to time mine and report the temperature reading outside and I'll post. Thank you njech7!!
Old 12-07-2021, 10:01 AM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

37 degrees outside, 5 minutes idle time and then 18 minutes drive time to reach 200 degrees. wow!

I better check my coolant, but you know what - this much technology should tell you if it's low you would think...I'll report back soon.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanS-06
37 degrees outside, 5 minutes idle time and then 18 minutes drive time to reach 200 degrees. wow!

I better check my coolant, but you know what - this much technology should tell you if it's low you would think...I'll report back soon.
something is wrong here. Thats way too long. Just to be clear, are you sure you're looking at coolant temp, not oil temp?
Old 12-07-2021, 10:33 AM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

Hundo P, I am looking at the Coolant temperature! yep. I'm so glad someone finally came out and said something is wrong. I'm taking it in Thursday. Can't wait to see what they'll find. The heat sucks!!

Theories on what could be wrong? Classic T-stat problem?
Old 12-07-2021, 11:37 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

sounds like thermostat, but these cars are so complex, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a handful of valves in the system that if stuck open or not operating could cause this issue. Should be pretty easy to check with proper diagnostic tools.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
CaymanS-06 (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 05:28 PM
njech7
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 minutes roughly with 37 degrees on the temp gauge. Definitely seems something is wrong. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2021, 10:20 PM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by njech7
10 minutes roughly with 37 degrees on the temp gauge. Definitely seems something is wrong. Good luck!
Thanks for participating...sometimes you just don't know without data.I really appreciate it. There's something wrong. I opened the hood. don't even know where the coolant fill is to check. but I'm taking it in and I'll leave it to the pros on this one.
Cheers!
Old 12-11-2021, 10:21 PM
CaymanS-06
Intermediate

I have to thank folks for the data again. Without having the facts, he was going to make me feel like a dumbass. I was going to drive 40 miles to go pick-up my vehicle and nothing was going to have been resolved. Having the knowledge and comparisons made me say, No - there is something wrong with my heating system.

So...After 1 day full day in Service at Dealer, they call me back, "What problem, we do not notice anything wrong with your heat. The technician started it up, hot as it should be in the cabin."

Really?!!! I had to give them a stern retort and remind them I have been seeing this issue consistently for 2+ weeks now and that they are not going to be able to make me seem like an idiot. Another day goes by, no word. Finally, I call them today - like, hi - any progress? You know, the $38k car I bought from you 2 months ago that was supposedly checked out with a 1,000 point check-up before certifying it? Yeah, that one.

Service Advisor: (can I tell you how much I dislike Service Advisors, what a sham) "It's the water pump."

Oh, is it now, because the first time you called me you said there is nothing wrong with the vehicle - so which is it?

Does this thread seem like it's a water pump? I asked my uncle, he's like that would typically run your vehicle HOT. Guy said it's something about it staying open? I don't listen to explanations from them b/c typically they don't know what they're saying and this guy lost my faith in him anyways since he basically dismissed my issue the first time...#frustrating again.

Discuss...

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayenne Base - heat in cabin, weak at best