Sponsored By:

[CD] Installed the Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 11:53 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default [CD] Installed the Dipstick

So after reading a bunch on some old threads i went ahead and installed a dip-stick (VW p/n 077-115-607-K) into my new to me CD and my initial impressions are pretty negative.

Cons:
  1. The dip stick is quite difficult to insert. It's strange but it seems to have a proper orientation in order for it to go in smoothly. I'm not only talking about the metal being oriented West to East but it almost make a difference as to which side is facing South. in my case there's a little indent on the orange plastic piece that since inside the tube. If that piece is facing South then the dipstick goes in much easier than if it's facing North.
  2. The dipstick itself is pretty useless. Any time I pull it out it's covered in oil probably a good 8 inches up from the top little plastic piece (max level). My electronic gauge shows the correct level though.
  3. I need to find a place to put the dip stick tube plug where I won't lose it.
Pros:
  1. I have a dipstick.
  2. I actually didn't have to cut the top off of it to make the engine cover fit. I just needed to reach under the engine cover and push the handle back towards the cabin a little bit and the engine covered popped back on very easily. Didn't have to force it at all.
Given the #2 con, I'm not sure how useful this thing is going to be. Anyone else have a similar experience? or maybe i somehow messed up and ordered the wrong dipstick. Which may explain the first two cons.

TIA!
Old 11-30-2021, 10:14 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Mine works fine.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:11 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinC2S
The dipstick itself is pretty useless. Any time I pull it out it's covered in oil probably a good 8 inches up from the top little plastic piece (max level). My electronic gauge shows the correct level though.
Nicely done.

Probably obvious, but...when you pull out the dipstick, do you wipe it, reinsert and then check the level? Does it still read incorrectly?
Old 11-30-2021, 11:20 AM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Yup, of course. Wipe clean, re-insert, pull out, check where the oil is at and it's a long ways past max. It's obviously getting residue on it somehow,

Would anyone mind confirming the length of their dipstick for me? Maybe the parts guy screwed up and gave me some mega long one that bends into the bottom of the oil-pan.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:16 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yup, of course. Wipe clean, re-insert, pull out, check where the oil is at and it's a long ways past max. It's obviously getting residue on it somehow,

Would anyone mind confirming the length of their dipstick for me? Maybe the parts guy screwed up and gave me some mega long one that bends into the bottom of the oil-pan.
Okay, just checking ...I've learned to assume nothing.

I'll measure the dipstick on my Q7 TDi and post...
Old 11-30-2021, 02:02 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Q7 TDi dipstick is 20 1/2" from plastic seat at the bottom of the handle to the end of the stick...
Old 11-30-2021, 08:24 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 311 Likes on 256 Posts

So after reading a bunch on some old threads i went ahead and installed a dip-stick (VW p/n 077-115-607-K) into my new to me CD and my initial impressions are pretty negative.

Cons:
  1. The dip stick is quite difficult to insert. It's strange but it seems to have a proper orientation in order for it to go in smoothly. I'm not only talking about the metal being oriented West to East but it almost make a difference as to which side is facing South. in my case there's a little indent on the orange plastic piece that since inside the tube. If that piece is facing South then the dipstick goes in much easier than if it's facing North.
  2. The dipstick itself is pretty useless. Any time I pull it out it's covered in oil probably a good 8 inches up from the top little plastic piece (max level). My electronic gauge shows the correct level though.
  3. I need to find a place to put th
Given the #2 con, I'm not sure how useful this thing is going to be. Anyone else have a similar experience? or maybe i somehow messed up and ordered the wrong dipstick. Which may explain the first two cons.

TIA!
I went that route. Got the exact VW replacement. SunCoast. Whatever the gyrations, the dipstick would bent and would not insert more than 1/4. (I even tried a blue pill)
I knew any further attempts would be futile. Prolly break some pieces inside the oil reservoir. I now use the dashboard electronic gizmo. Works fine.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:00 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

So mystery solved. My dipstick is 26.5" long. Explains why it jams and is covered in oil. Either the parts guy gave me the wrong one or i messed up the part number.

@lml999 Any chance you have your part number handy?
Old 11-30-2021, 10:32 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't remember whether I added the dipstick or the Q7 came to us with it (bought used).

Some googling found this Audi part number -- 059115611AB. Not positive its correct....
Old 12-01-2021, 08:46 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

So mystery solved. My dipstick is 26.5" long. Explains why it jams and is covered in oil. Either the parts guy gave me the wrong one or i messed up the part number.

@lml999 Any chance you have your part number handy?
Martin, please may I ask what’s the “keenest” with the dipstick? IMHO it’s not worth the effort. Especially if you break off something in the dipstick tube. The instrument cluster oil indicator works; once you get the hang of it. It’s not as “convenient” as the dipstick…but I can check the oil level while doing 70 mph too.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:47 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Martin, please may I ask what’s the “keenest” with the dipstick? IMHO it’s not worth the effort. Especially if you break off something in the dipstick tube.
There was a guy, not naming names here, who used an oil extracter on his daughter's 3.2 Q5 and inserted the extracter hose too far down into the engine.

Said extracter hose got caught on the baffles in the oil pan and no amount of swearing, cajoling, pleading, praying, etc., got it unstuck. So pulling and more praying commenced. Extracter tube elongated and finally broke off, leading some six+ inches in the pan.

Engine started up normally and didn't implode. Daughter drove back to her home 200 miles away.

A week later local mechanic dropped the pan to replace it, as it was rusting through. When he found that snake in the bottom of the pan, um, he was a bit surprised, to say the least. Couldn't figure out whether the Q5 had a tapeworm or something had let go in the engine and made its way down to the pan.

Not long after that I, I mean this guy, called the mechanic and asked if he had found anything unusual in the pan.

Laughs ensued.

Just saying.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:54 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Martin, please may I ask what’s the “keenest” with the dipstick? IMHO it’s not worth the effort. Especially if you break off something in the dipstick tube. The instrument cluster oil indicator works; once you get the hang of it. It’s not as “convenient” as the dipstick…but I can check the oil level while doing 70 mph too.
If you don't take your CD to a dealer to change the oil and use an indi or diy, then it takes a few miles for the oil indicator to show up the oil level. So, a dipstick helps to verify the correct oil level without having to drive the CD for awhile
Old 12-01-2021, 03:13 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lml999
There was a guy, not naming names here, who used an oil extracter on his daughter's 3.2 Q5 and inserted the extracter hose too far down into the engine.

Said extracter hose got caught on the baffles in the oil pan and no amount of swearing, cajoling, pleading, praying, etc., got it unstuck. So pulling and more praying commenced. Extracter tube elongated and finally broke off, leading some six+ inches in the pan.

Engine started up normally and didn't implode. Daughter drove back to her home 200 miles

Not long after that I, I mean this guy, called the mechanic and asked if he had found anything unusual in the pan.

Laughs ensued.

Just saying.

Exactly. This scenario of something breaking off and falling in the oil pan is what I imagined when trying to wriggle the dipstick.

luckily the Audi oil pump didn’t pulverize the snake and distribute throughout the engine. = new engine!

Last edited by Dr. G7; 12-01-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:51 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

For me it's the convenience factor. I want to be able to change the oil and get the right amount in there without having to get the electronic sensor to register the reading. And I also do prefer a physical measurement to an electronic one. Call me old-fashioned but a dip-stick has never let me down while electronic sensors well, that's a different story.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:18 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

For me it's the convenience factor. I want to be able to change the oil and get the right amount in there without having to get the electronic sensor to register the reading. And I also do prefer a physical measurement to an electronic one. Call me old-fashioned but a dip-stick has never let me down while electronic sensors well, that's a different story.
I get that. But if you follow the manual’s capacity specifications, level will be correct.

Also don’t forget, Porsche prolly shaved fifty cents per car by omitting the dipstick. Someone has to pay those nine figure bonuses to the Porsche executive committee. Especially after some of them endured vacations courtesy of the German government, i.e., jailed for the dieselgate

Quick Reply: [CD] Installed the Dipstick