Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 03:59 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sigh.

The BASE cayenne had a VR6 from inception in 2004 to 2018. Its plain as day just by looking at it
The 958.1 S had a v8
The 958.2 S has a porsche designed (far as i know) 3.6L twin turbo V6.

not complicated.
You forgot the supercharged Audi 3 liter.

...and the turbocharged Audi 3 liter diesel.

Did Porsche ever get the Audi V8 or V12 diesel in Europe...or the VW V10 diesel?

Yea, it's complicated...

Last edited by lml999; 09-24-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:30 PM
Gary958.2 S
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sigh.

The BASE cayenne had a VR6 from inception in 2004 to 2018. Its plain as day just by looking at it
The 958.1 S had a v8
The 958.2 S has a porsche designed (far as i know) 3.6L twin turbo V6.

not complicated.
Thanks, With a bit of further looking it's verified. Just to stress, I'm no expert and only have my own 958.2 S to look at. But I've had VR6 powered VW's so know what a VR6 looks like under the covers.

Wikipedia seems to have a good engine table, that shows 955/957/958 Base engine codes as M02.2Y, M55.01, M55.02, and MCEYA. Looking at pictures (google) these look like V6's, but I think maybe there is some Porsche engine cover trickery going on. Below is a picture of an M02.2Y from the FCP Euro site.
It looks like those are two separate cylinder heads. But looking at the intake plenum it goes off to the left, and the oil filler cap is to the center of the (false?) cylinder head. So this must be a VR6 underneath the top cover, i.e. does the actual engine cylinder head sit below the plastic cover (fake) intake plenum tubes? You can also see the wire harnesses for the coilpacks going in at the center.

It says V6 and looks like V6 but this is apparently and M02.2Y VR6. Note side entry of intake tube, and central location of oil cap.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
You forgot the supercharged Audi 3 liter.

...and the turbocharged Audi 3 liter diesel.

Did Porsche ever get the Audi V8 or V12 diesel in Europe...or the VW V10 diesel?

Yea, it's complicated...
The list was not intended to be all encompassing.

But yes, there is the diesel and the hybrid. The ROW market got the V8 diesel, which I would love to have.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:20 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary958.2 S
I can tell you that my 2016 858.2 Cayenne S is not a VR6, but a proper Vee engine (in my case a "CURA" engine, 3.6L V6 twin turbo). As you may know the VR6 is actually an inline engine (the R is German "Reihen" for "inline" or "straight"), but with every second cylinder offset a very narrow (15 degree) angle. So the long version of VR6 means "Vee-Inline 6" (BTW the W12 and W16 engines are actually twin Vee'd VR6's and VR8's) A V6 and VR6 are easily differentiated looking at the top of the engine, since any true Vee engine has two cylinder heads with the intake manifold set into in the valley of the vee. A VR6 has a single wider cylinder head with the offset cylinders accommodated by offset comb. chambers, valves, sparkplugs, etc. There is a single intake side and exhaust side of a VR6. A VR6 is really intended for use in a transverse engine layout, so I'm surprised that the Cayenne ever had them since it has a longitudinal engine layout (Audi too, except for TT and A3 which have VW-based drivetrains).

It is confusing looking back at all Cayenne series, as I think some of them, at least earlier 955 series, reportedly did have VR6's, particularly the 3.2L. And some Touregs seem to have V6's, not VR6's. So it seems like Porsches sometimes have uptuned VW engines, and VW sometimes uses detuned Porsche engines? I saw a couple of comments that the Porsche's use Porsche plastic rather than People's (Volk's) plastic for the engine covers, and maybe that's the only difference, LOL. I think it requires deeper research by engine code number to determine the actual lineage of each engine. I'm curious about this and might do a bit more sleuthing on it.
Volkswagon Atlas also uses the VR-6 motor (derated to 275 hp for some reason). The 'proper' 90 deg V6 we have in our 2019 Panamera has a balance shaft in it. Our 2009 (290 hp) 957 VR6 Cayenne Base has 152K miles, and is just as smooth, without a balance shaft. I like both engines, but neither one is really more proper than the other. Our 997 Carerra with the flat six may consider itself 'proper', but for me, the best '6' is a seven main bearing linline, and the best V engine for smoothness is a V8.

Porsche used the 3.2 and the 3.6 variants of the VR6 motor in Base Cayennes from the beginning all the way to 2018.

Just for laughs, research super hp VW golfs with the VR-6. Running over 1000 hp in some cases. And it is a 5 main bearing engine, with 2 bolt mains. the crank case is deep skirted for extra rigidity.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:02 PM
white46
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased 958.2 3.6 v6 not too long ago and here are what I noticed so far.
1. coming from BMW v8, this 300hp v6 lacks in power. it's fine for day to day driving, but sometimes you KNOW, you want more POWER.
2. it's my wife's car driving kids around. so hp didn't matter. lol
3. again, it's my wife's car driving kids around, so reliability was the top priority.
4. Didn't want FI, which is prone to have more problems than NA. More components, higher chance of fail. We have plan to keep this car for a while.
5. Didn't go with V8 because, again, v8 has more catastrophic failure than v6.

Over all,
Because it's my wife's car, I went with v6. You know. Happy wife, happy life.
That being said, if it was my car, FI or V8 all the way.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:50 PM
Gary958.2 S
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Volkswagon Atlas also uses the VR-6 motor (derated to 275 hp for some reason). The 'proper' 90 deg V6 we have in our 2019 Panamera has a balance shaft in it. Our 2009 (290 hp) 957 VR6 Cayenne Base has 152K miles, and is just as smooth, without a balance shaft. I like both engines, but neither one is really more proper than the other. Our 997 Carerra with the flat six may consider itself 'proper', but for me, the best '6' is a seven main bearing linline, and the best V engine for smoothness is a V8.

Porsche used the 3.2 and the 3.6 variants of the VR6 motor in Base Cayennes from the beginning all the way to 2018.

Just for laughs, research super hp VW golfs with the VR-6. Running over 1000 hp in some cases. And it is a 5 main bearing engine, with 2 bolt mains. the crank case is deep skirted for extra rigidity.

Don't get me wrong, when I said the S engine is "proper' V6, I just meant it is a V6. The VR6 is really an inline engine with a single head and slightly offset cylinders. The VR6 I've had in the past (2.4L 200 shp) was a great engine, and I've had a few inline 6 BMW's - a legendary engine, so I have no problem with inline engines, which are typically smoother without need of a balance shaft. The issue I meant to point out is mainly the inaccuracy and marketing hype of calling a VR6 a V6, and even putting it on the the engine cover, misleading the average consumer. This would be like calling boxer engines V6's (with a 180 degree angle.) Pretty sure any of us would be flamed big time on any of the 911 forums for referring to that beloved engine as a V6!!

Gary

Quick Reply: In the market for a V6 engine 958 Cayenne - Need advices