Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help on picking which GTS to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 06:46 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts

FWIW I would have no interest in alcantara seats - I looked for quite a while until my 14 GTS popped up. It is white with tan leather interior - I never liked the alcantara, especially on the steering wheel. Be patient and you’ll find what you really want - no use in settling and still paying a premium anyway.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:09 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Personal preference. I love Alcantara . I don't believe Alcantara on the steering wheel was standard though; maybe custom order, not sure? One thing to note is that the GTS sport seats have narrow bolsters, so not great if you are a bigger person. I'm only 170lbs and it's snug already.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:34 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
That's exactly what happened to me...I searched autotrader, cars.com, carguru and porsche.com every day for about three months, expecting the search to take 6 to 9 months.

When my CS popped up on the finder on porsche.com, I had a deposit on it two hours later. It checked most of the boxes and I jumped on it.

Glad I did!
Ditto. I had all those searches. Backed out of a 2 deals that would have been "fly & buy", 1 the PPI wasn't great and the other we were $1k apart. There was a 3rd (a C-SEH) that I couldn't get over the fact that it was out of warranty with a new unproven technology.

The morning mine popped up (across town, no less) with 6 or 7 of the 8 or 9 features I wanted (didn't get keyless entry or LCA) I called the dealer shortly after and offered to give them a CC to hold it with. Went by that evening and picked it up.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:25 PM
jonUF02
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Ventilated seats won't be Alcantara. I really wish I had the ventilated seats here in FL like both my Mercedes. Alcantara does not wear as well as leather anyway. I like it on the headliner, but that's all. Pano roof I can definitely do without, it's a liability, and I barely ever even open the shade on any normal sunroof. Tow hitch is a bit of a pain and expense to add if you need it. This really comes down to finding one with the options you want.

I've seen GTS here in FL with under 100k selling in the low 30s. I don't think it's worth a 10-15k difference (huge %) over an S with the same engine. The Turbo would be worth it for about the same price as a GTS.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:29 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jonUF02
I've seen GTS here in FL with under 100k selling in the low 30s. I don't think it's worth a 10-15k difference (huge %) over an S with the same engine. The Turbo would be worth it for about the same price as a GTS.
Interestingly enough I drove both 958.1 turbo and GTS back-to-back. I was luke warm on the turbo; I LOVED the GTS. Feels a lot more like a hotrod than an SUV.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:44 PM
jonUF02
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by luciano136
Interestingly enough I drove both 958.1 turbo and GTS back-to-back. I was luke warm on the turbo; I LOVED the GTS. Feels a lot more like a hotrod than an SUV.
I don't have experience on anything but my S, have you tried an S with similar suspension options vs. GTS? After tuning my S I'm happy with the pick up, but wish I had the fancy air suspension and handling stuff. I'd still look for the S with those options over the crazy premium of a GTS. You can probably find a fully optioned low mile S for 10 grand less.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:48 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by vwbrd
Ditto. I had all those searches. Backed out of a 2 deals that would have been "fly & buy", 1 the PPI wasn't great and the other we were $1k apart.
I was looking for enough of a unicorn that I assumed the purchase would not be local. (air, roof rails, 14 or 18 way seats, pano, etc...)

And mine popped up 1400 miles away. I did a pay and ship. The fact that it was a one owner car, bought, maintained and traded at the same dealer, plus CPO, allowed me to buy it without a detailed inspection...
Old 09-14-2021, 10:01 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jonUF02
I don't have experience on anything but my S, have you tried an S with similar suspension options vs. GTS? After tuning my S I'm happy with the pick up, but wish I had the fancy air suspension and handling stuff. I'd still look for the S with those options over the crazy premium of a GTS. You can probably find a fully optioned low mile S for 10 grand less.
Finding an S with air suspension truly is a unicorn. In all the months I had a search going, only one ever popped up and it was at the other side of the country with a tan interior I wasn't interested in. And even if you do find one to your liking, I still don't think it's the same suspension as the GTS. If you're not picky, you can definitely find an S for a lot cheaper but to find one that's optioned like a GTS for 10 grand less would be near impossible. The way this thing handles is hard to wrap your head around.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:31 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by luciano136
Finding an S with air suspension truly is a unicorn.
Air and roof rails were non-negotiable for me, along with 14 way seats, etc. Would have taken a diesel, but many of the CDs have the small moonroof versus pano.

And yes, the GTS is $10K+ higher, typically...
Old 09-15-2021, 01:13 PM
XS29L9B
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by HelthInsXpert
I've been doing some research and decided that I would like to purchase a 2013 Cayenne GTS to drive to and from work (1000 miles per year).

I have it narrowed down to two vehicles if they check out mechanically:

Car 1: 94xxx miles, Bose, Pano Roof, White with Black Base interior, perforated heated/cooled seats, tow hitch, Sport Chrono. $31k. No accidents. Sold by individual.

Car 2: 65xxx miles, Base Sound, No Pano, White with GTS/Alcantara interior in Black, No Chrono, No tow hitch, Red Dials, $34k Very minor accident to front bumper (tracked down previous owner and called him). Sold by dealer in FL.

I think Car 1 is the better car, but the mileage on Car 2 is worth a lot. I could drive this car for a while and it would theoretically be worth what I paid still. I will purchase Fidelity warranty for either car upon taking ownership.

I would post links but I've had a bad experience with others buying the vehicles I want!!

Looking forward to any advice or opinions that might help.

Does vehicle #2 have full leather dash/door panels? If so, sounds nice. Esp. w/ out the pano roof. I paid a couple hundred to tint mine black. Can't stand it.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:33 PM
HelthInsXpert
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XS29L9B
Does vehicle #2 have full leather dash/door panels? If so, sounds nice. Esp. w/ out the pano roof. I paid a couple hundred to tint mine black. Can't stand it.
This is the Spec Sheet for Car #2 in FL. I called them today and told them I was moving on and to please return my deposit. (Nobody has called me back of course or returned a text, yipee)

Last edited by HelthInsXpert; 09-15-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:51 PM
HelthInsXpert
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like opinions are mixed on the Pano roof. Seemed pretty cool to me, but I recognize that it weighs more. What are some other drawbacks?
Old 09-15-2021, 02:02 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

One other item I really wanted was the Sport Design wheel with the paddle shifters. I can't stand the push buttons but it may not matter to you. I love using paddle shifters on backroads.

Besides not having the upgraded sound, vehicle 2 is otherwise nicely optioned. PTV Plus is somewhat rare.

Last edited by luciano136; 09-15-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:03 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sounds like opinions are mixed on the Pano roof. Seemed pretty cool to me, but I recognize that it weighs more. What are some other drawbacks?
It won't make a difference on this vehicle since it's so heavy already.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:35 PM
XS29L9B
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts

This is the Spec Sheet for Car #2 in FL. I called them today and told them I was moving on and to please return my deposit. (Nobody has called me back of course or returned a text, yipee)

That def. sounds like a nice one. And the interior w. GTS will have leather dash w. red stitch. very nice.

Quick Reply: Help on picking which GTS to buy