Sponsored By:

My Cayenne 958 repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 02:51 PM
Johnny958
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Cayenne 958 repair

Hey guys I purchased a 2014 Cayenne turbo to repair with a salvage title. The project is going well but I have a few questions. I am at the point where everything is done except replacing the 3 airbags that went off.
I have replaced the pyro fuse etc but left the trigger wire unhooked. I have access to PIWIS and wondered can I just go in and reset the airbag module? I have a spare airbag module on hand. I plan on replacing the drivers side and passenger side airbags the reconnecting the pyro fuse. Just wondering is there a specific procedure to reset prior to installing the new parts. I don't really want to trigger anything.
Thanks for any advice given.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:54 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 307 Posts

Those are good questions.
Lots of Rennlisters have read your post. No response .
I'll chime in.
Air bags scare the **** out of most people!
I have installed 2 airbags on a 993. I felt like I was holding a bomb ready to explode.
With Air bags, I would go to a Porsche dealership and talk to the head service manager.
Find out ahead of time his favorite drink, restaurant, etc. Get it for him.
Tell him "off the record, how would he approach the install, reset, and fuses."
Hope this gives you some direction.
Keep us informed. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (05-23-2023)
Old 07-29-2021, 12:13 AM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You could take the same approach with a body shop. They do this for a living, day in and day out. Far more than any given dealer.
They might be more inclined to offer some tips but you can probably pay them for a fraction of what a dealer would charge.
In every state I've lived in, due to The McCarran-Ferguson Act of 1945 which gave the insurance industry an exemption from the
Sherman Antitrust Act. This limits the rates they can charge. Check it out, might be an option.
The following 3 users liked this post by ZenicaPA:
Chaos (07-29-2021), TheUnscented (08-09-2021), TXCOMT (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 03:18 PM
biga1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KBell
Those are good questions.
Lots of Rennlisters have read your post. No response .
I'll chime in.
Air bags scare the **** out of most people!
I have installed 2 airbags on a 993. I felt like I was holding a bomb ready to explode.
With Air bags, I would go to a Porsche dealership and talk to the head service manager.
Find out ahead of time his favorite drink, restaurant, etc. Get it for him.
Tell him "off the record, how would he approach the install, reset, and fuses."
Hope this gives you some direction.
Keep us informed. Good luck.
Waste of time taking this ******* to a restaurant, first you how do you even plan on making that introduction at the dealer? Hey bro I want to take you to a restaurant to ask you a bunch of questions while feeding you expensive steak and vodka dude. something like I bet huh. Bell you think very strangely
Old 08-04-2021, 01:42 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by biga1
Waste of time taking this ******* to a restaurant, first you how do you even plan on making that introduction at the dealer? Hey bro I want to take you to a restaurant to ask you a bunch of questions while feeding you expensive steak and vodka dude. something like I bet huh. Bell you think very strangely
I'm sure there's some places where there's a chance of it working. Certainly more chance of that working better than being rude to other forum members. Really? Let's play nicer, maybe?

That said, there are some things that a dealer is going to have better resources available for getting something fixed. No harm in accepting that's what it's going to cost to get it done. Though while you ARE paying them to get things done THAT would be as good a time as any to try to 'butter up' the service rep about other potential issues. Going in cold, having had NO work done in a place... well, would you go along with that technique for your line of work? Most wouldn't.
The following users liked this post:
TXCOMT (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 05:41 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Biga1

I guess my post is confusing.
I'll clarity.
I'm at the dealership all the time getting parts.
I have developed a good relation with the service managers and parts guys.
I know one is a wine guy. One is a cigar guy. One is a protein bar guy. ETC.
On holidays, I'll get them what they like.
I am respectful and thankful to them each time I'm at the dealership.

With that said, they have gone above and beyond for me.
Concerning ANY information, I could walk in an talk to the head service guy.
He would tell me all I need to know about air bags: the OP's topic.
Airbag handling, modules, fuses, and triggers would all be discussed.

I'm not wanting to take anyone out to dinner.
I just found kindness goes along way.

The following 3 users liked this post by KBell:
CAVU (08-05-2021), cbracerx (08-12-2021), TXCOMT (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 05:46 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

You're talking about a cultivated relationship that takes months, if not years, to develop. It has to be organic or else it looks exactly like what it is, buttering up to gain something.
Can't be done in a week outside of a Hollywood TV plot.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:45 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes.

ZenicaPa is correct.
It has been years.
And to the OP, ZenicaPa is correct again on a good body shop.
Bodyshops will have a lot of experience.

Good luck with your Cayenne Turbo.
Lets us know your outcome.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:11 PM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Im going to preface this message by saying this is based solely on my own experience and cant guarantee your situation will be the same. Do anything at your own risk!

Now - I rebuilt a 2012 CS which was rear-ended. my airbags did NOT go off, by my seatbelts deployed (Locked up and had to be sent off to be rebuilt) AND my pyro fuse blew.
This tells me that the pyro fuse can blow independently of the airbags and that you should be able to reinstall your Pyro fuse without worrying.

Now, as for the airbags - this is what i would do in your situation (Not saying you should do this, simply that this is what I would do) Reset the airbag module with the old airbags installed and scan to see if the triggering event can be cleared. If so, I would then disconnect the battery and leave the car for 20 minutes to make sure there is no residual power. then, and only then would I reconnect 1 airbag (passenger side) and then power the car back up. If all goes well, reinstall the remainder of the airbags and and clear any remaining codes to reset your airbag light.

From what i have heard though, clearing the triggering event from the airbag module can be difficult.

Again and i want to be very clear - I am not suggesting you do any of this - Simply that this is what I would probably do in your situation... (truthfully i would probably hook up my multimeter to the airbag harness and use that to verify it is not being triggered before installing the new airbag... But that's just me.)

good luck - keep us posted.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:25 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

There are a lot of companies that will reset the crash data in the module.
Once the airbags deploy there is crash data in the airbag module. It’s not just a code like if you were to disconnect your seatbelt with the battery hooked up that you can just clear. When a car is in an accident with deployment of belts or bags and an insurance company is involved, per safety requirements, the components must be replaced. The airbag control module can absolutely be reset though and I have done this on my personal vehicles over the years I have rebuilt. I have used a place in Texas and Massachusetts with great results. Remove, ship to them, they ship it back, I install, and it’s like it never happened. No programming, coding, etc.
Replace all bags, belts, and sensors that have any codes stored. Make sure you check the wiring, sometimes wires can melt.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:23 AM
biga1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KBell
Biga1

I guess my post is confusing.
I'll clarity.
I'm at the dealership all the time getting parts.
I have developed a good relation with the service managers and parts guys.
I know one is a wine guy. One is a cigar guy. One is a protein bar guy. ETC.
On holidays, I'll get them what they like.
I am respectful and thankful to them each time I'm at the dealership.

With that said, they have gone above and beyond for me.
Concerning ANY information, I could walk in an talk to the head service guy.
He would tell me all I need to know about air bags: the OP's topic.
Airbag handling, modules, fuses, and triggers would all be discussed.

I'm not wanting to take anyone out to dinner.
I just found kindness goes along way.
I hear what your saying, but at the same time sounds like you already got your answers you need, why spend personal money on gifts when there is no need to. Sounds like your trying to make best friends with them to win them over. I would never do that unless I have some type of personal special relationship with that person but then I come to think about it, I dont have any personal relationships with vendors or people who try to take money from me.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:29 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

It sounds like he is at the dealer often, so developing a cordial or friendly relationship is just a normal interaction. Relationships are organic, they grow as anything else does.
It sounds like he sees the potential in having a warm relationship than a static one. Bees to honey, that sort of thing. The people he's friendly with don't own the dealership so
they aren't making money off him, not directly anyway. It just takes time and a vested interest to build and maintain these extended relationships.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:59 PM
Johnny958
AutoX

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I do have a decent relationship with the parts guys at the dealer. I am not in so much with the service department since I am doing my own work.
At this stage I probably wont be bringing in any wine etc LOL they would think I'm crazy since they know I bought a crashed Cayenne and I'm doing everything on my own budget.
I do have PWIS (the hacked version) and I was just curious about the sequences to get everything back to normal. I have replaced the pyro fuse but didnt connect the trigger wires.
I would think I can clear all the codes and unhook the battery and replace and reconnect the new airbags and then power it back up with no issues and thats my plan. On my current BMW X5
I replaced the door handle and had to remove and disconnect the side door airbag and I did that without removing power and had no issues except having to clear the airbag light.
Once I get the hardware Ill replace and let you all know how it went.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:27 AM
S4VAG3
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, how did it go? I’m currently having the same issue, not sure if I can just reset my airbag module via a computer or if I need to remove it and ship it out. Were you able to reset the airbag light with your PIWIS? Or did you need to remove the airbag module and ship it out?
Old 11-07-2023, 09:29 AM
sszgo
AutoX

i just replaced the airbags with ones from other car, plug and play.... no warning light, no nothing...

Quick Reply: My Cayenne 958 repair