Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 273 Likes on 130 Posts

A long story short. I traded in my Cayenne for a MB AMG 63.
While researching features on the MB AMG I came across a post by a dealer that said customers were complaining about batteries going dead when left at airport parking lots or in the driveway for extended periods.
Solution was to disable the RFID when in extended down time

I saw this thread here and then did a search for the Porsche version of the same feature thinking it could be the cause of the issue.
I found that its a very similar in operation but no examples of dead batteries.
I'm thinking perhaps its been overlooked on this forum or its not connected, although the theory looks promising.
(YMMV)

Old 10-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 273 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7

Which little light?

Thank you
The little light on the key fob
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:06 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Slam08
My 958.1 lost battery when I was gone for a long weekend. Turns out the visor lamp mirrors in front were on even though the visors were folded up. And they were slowly draining the battery. I would make sure there isn’t a battery drain. I would think I car should be able to start after a month. But not sure.
Slam, sad to report that its not the visor light...
Old 10-04-2021, 01:10 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob M Budd
A long story short. I traded in my Cayenne for a MB AMG 63.
While researching features on the MB AMG I came across a post by a dealer that said customers were complaining about batteries going dead when left at airport parking lots or in the driveway for extended periods.
Solution was to disable the RFID when in extended down time

I saw this thread here and then did a search for the Porsche version of the same feature thinking it could be the cause of the issue.
I found that its a very similar in operation but no examples of dead batteries.
I'm thinking perhaps its been overlooked on this forum or its not connected, although the theory looks promising.
(YMMV)
I am going to the airport this Saturday and will be gone for 5 days. I have 13 CS. I will your RFID disable method.

If anyone is looking for a jumper I keep this thing in my trunk and this thing is built like a tank. Holds its power well. Can leave it in the trunk for 2 months with minimal power loss.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:14 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
That makes sense. At 7 years (= 7 year itch) failure imminent. But you are also right, leaving it alone until weak battery is indicated.
Of course this was made back in 12 or 13 so I am not sure even if the OEM batteries are made the same as the one they put in the beginning. But if the new one lasts 7 years its worth it.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:54 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob M Budd
If you leave the Cayenne sitting for any length of time you should disable the "Entry and Drive" feature by pressing the lock button and unlock buttons at the same time and holding for a two seconds until the little light stays on and then shuts off.
This will disable the signal RFID signal which is designed to stay on all the time. While it is on, it will drain a weak battery or even a new battery if the Cayenne sits for a very long time.

You will have to press the unlock button when you come back to it, since it will not pick up the RFID signal from you fob.

Disabling Entry and Drive is also an anti theft feature. A thief may use a RFID scanner and emulate your fob in order to steal or gain access.

I'm not sure which years this applies to so YMMV (Your Model May Vary)
My car does not open when I grab the door handle. I don't think I have this option on my car.

Quick Reply: Left town came back car needs jump