Sponsored By:

A Question About Our Cousin - Audi Q7 Content

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 03:49 AM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
Um, no. I've driven over a half million miles in Audis over the past twenty five years, so I have some experience here. And collectively those cars had several million miles on them (I typically buy an Audi at 100K and put 100-150K on it)

The Audi V6 gas motor is bulletproof in comparison to the Porsche V6.
Isn't the petrol V6 in the Cayenne from an Audi? or is it the VW?

And, aren't we splitting hairs? are they not more similar than dissimilar?

Personally I don't care for the aesthetic of an Audi. It is anticlimactic. Lacks character. A German toyota in terms of accoutrements and luxury appointment.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:06 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
Default So Much is Subjective

So much is subjective. Some say the Cayenne is ugly, dated (even the current version). I like the Q7's looks I am referring to the current or Gen 2. I don't like the Gen 1 Q7. The Q7 is a little ubiquitous, but that's just a matter of so many being sold. I definitely like the cockpit, and the 3.0 supercharged engine has plenty to offer. The Q7 doesn't have the handling and performance of the Cayenne, but it wasn't designed to do so. It also lacks the P tax burden. It comes down to what you want and what you like. In my opinion, it's nothing like a Toyota. The current Toyota SUV line up is totally devoid of decent aesthetics inside or out.

Last edited by mafpolo; 07-18-2021 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Adding content
Old 07-18-2021, 02:41 PM
Kaïzer Söze
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you determine if a Q7 has air suspension? I didn’t see any controls but i might have overlooked.

Did ALL of the “Prestige” models have it?

Where can I look up the build sheet using the vin?

Thanks

Eric

Last edited by Kaïzer Söze; 07-23-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:20 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, it does come down to preference. I looked at the latest Q7 at the Porsche/Audi dealer when I was in for the 40k.
It doesn't move me. I like tactile switches, I like separate controls. I like manual control when I feel the "auto" is making driving too sterile.
The Audi SQ7 has some design elements I like but then again so does the Volvo XC90 but I wouldn't want to drive one on a daily basis.
I like pretty much everything about how the Cayenne looks, drives and feels. The newest version, with that piano black gloss interior is
horrendous. Replacing tactile switches for haptic controls seems good in theory but when I drove it, it reminded me of when my kid is
having fun bumping my arm while I try to use my iphone. Yea, I can appear to be tapping or pressing where I want but the slight shift or
bump means I don't and something else or nothing at all was triggered.

I can't imagine how much fun I'd have driving a Tesla with that store display size screen mounted vertically.

I never thought of myself as old school as I usually embrace change and look forward to next years innovation but I don't like the loss of
real switches in my driver cockpit.
The following users liked this post:
mafpolo (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:01 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaïzer Söze
Where were you finding them? Not much local to me that I see here in LA.
Just a quick googling led to some listings, I think on carfax.com...
Old 07-18-2021, 11:04 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Isn't the petrol V6 in the Cayenne from an Audi? or is it the VW?
VR6 versus V6. Totally different motors and running gear.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:17 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

How do you determine if a Q7 has air suspension? I didn’t see any controls but I. Ishtar have overlooked.

Did ALL of the “Prestige” models have it?

Where can I look up the build sheet using the vin?
I believe that the air suspension is controlled through the MMI. ICBW.

According to this Audiworld thread, there is a button on the right rear side of the cargo compartment that raises/lowers the suspension. That might be the most visible indicator...

There was a lookup utility similar to vinanalytics.com a while ago, but that went away, and I'm not aware of any current resources that will give you an Audi build sheet....

What did you think of the Q7?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:36 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

I've got an A6 with 140k on it. Put 80k on another. Both with the 3.0T. The 3.0t motor is considered to be one of the most reliable Audi has ever built (if not THE most reliable).

The one with 80k had zero issues outside of maintenance. Mine with 140k had zero issues until about 120k when a coolant pipe bust. Other than that, its got a hood sensor problem and thats about it.

Also monitor the Audi websites (audiworld, audizine) that sort of like this website for Audis and that opinion on that motor is pretty unanimous.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:57 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndrewWK
Have you driven it yet? Assuming you realize the driving experience is night and day between the two, then they are good cars. I was a bit disappointed with the interior space for how large and heavy the Q7 feels to drive. I've only driven the diesel version as I planned to buy it when it first launched, but I'm sure the supercharged V6 should provide a much improved driving experience, especially if you flash it. If she wants something similar to the Cayenne, then you are better off looking at the Q5, it's a great car. Air suspension, carbon cleanings etc are all common issues with the Q7.
I switch between my wife's Q7 TDi and my CS regularly. IMCO, the differences are not night and day. Yea, they're different, but they're in the same family. And the Q7 is a delightful long hauler. Incredibly comfortable, roomy, and the diesel gives a 750 mile range. Wish my bladder offered similar.

We also have two Q5s in the fleet, a '11 3.2 and a '15 3.0T (owned by offspring). When I was replacing my allroad, I thought about the Q5 3.0T or the TDi, but the chassis just isn't as sophisticated, the ergonomics are not as nice, and the overall fit/feel is a step down from the Q7 (and two steps down from the Cayenne). It's a smaller platform, loosely based on the A4, and both the rear seating and the trunk are tight. Nice enough cars, fun to drive, but not on the same level as either the Q7 or Cayenne.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:44 AM
Kaïzer Söze
Instructor

So I bought the Q7 and my wife is very happy. It’s nice car. One owner dealer maintained since new. They even did the 75k service before 70,000 miles.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Eric
The following users liked this post:
hotrod2448 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 08:50 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So I bought the Q7 and my wife is very happy. It’s nice car. One owner dealer maintained since new. They even did the 75k service before 70,000 miles.
Congrats!

Photos or it didn't happen!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:32 AM
Neil4speed
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Yes, it does come down to preference. I looked at the latest Q7 at the Porsche/Audi dealer when I was in for the 40k.
It doesn't move me. I like tactile switches, I like separate controls. I like manual control when I feel the "auto" is making driving too sterile.
The Audi SQ7 has some design elements I like but then again so does the Volvo XC90 but I wouldn't want to drive one on a daily basis.
I like pretty much everything about how the Cayenne looks, drives and feels. The newest version, with that piano black gloss interior is
horrendous. Replacing tactile switches for haptic controls seems good in theory but when I drove it, it reminded me of when my kid is
having fun bumping my arm while I try to use my iphone. Yea, I can appear to be tapping or pressing where I want but the slight shift or
bump means I don't and something else or nothing at all was triggered.

I can't imagine how much fun I'd have driving a Tesla with that store display size screen mounted vertically.

I never thought of myself as old school as I usually embrace change and look forward to next years innovation but I don't like the loss of
real switches in my driver cockpit.
I am 100% with you. You missed something funny about the gloss plastic now... they use the standard panel for all models so if you have one that doesn't have a specific option you can see the outline of it, but can't select it!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:37 AM
19birel
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the Q7! My parents have an A7 with the same 3.0T engine and it has been great so far. I myself am on my second Audi currently ('13 A4 2.0T) and at 97k miles it's still going strong even with being heavily tuned.

Audizine is a great forum, the Q7 section is a little quiet, but the B8 Q5 section and C7 A6/A7/S6/S7 forum are both pretty active. As your motor is also shared between SQ5 and Q5 3.0T, as well as A6 & A7 you can find a wealth of info between those two subforums
Old 07-23-2021, 01:10 PM
Kaïzer Söze
Instructor

Proof:

A lovely car.

thanks

Eric
The following 2 users liked this post by Kaïzer Söze:
lml999 (07-23-2021), ZenicaPA (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 02:05 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car Eric! I run the same wheels (for summer) on our blue Q7.

Quick Reply: A Question About Our Cousin - Audi Q7 Content