Sponsored By:

DIY air suspension shock disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 04:38 PM
maxspeeds
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Yes, there is a special tool to push off the air spring. Unless recently assembled/rebuilt, it is on the shock too firmly to "just pull" as mentioned above.
Alternative methods to the special tool: just put the strut in a vise, and pry up on opposing sides of the airbag's collar: it will slowly rise up. You will distort and destroy the collar, but you're likely replacing it anyway. Or you can go cave-man and use a hammer and a drift.

The top nut "special tool" can be easily made out of an old 13/16" deep socket and an angle grinder.

Finally, there are four seals to replace: upper o-ring, top hat seal, lower o-ring, and the rubber locking/guide ring. And use lots of grease.
Hi Garrett, Thank you for confirmation on the tool. Would you happen to know the porsche part number or a link to an aftermarket alternative? I want to try rebuilding my existing units and use the original airbag with all new o-rings and seals
Old 02-01-2023, 05:08 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

I think I would rather just replace the whole assemblies with Bilstein B4 complete assemblies 45-240256 and 45-240263
Old 02-09-2023, 12:20 AM
maxspeeds
Advanced

Garrett, would you know where the special tool can be purchased from? Also, would you happen to have the part #s for the four seals along with the bump stop (mine disintegrated and needs to be replaced)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:19 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspeeds
Garrett, would you know where the special tool can be purchased from? Also, would you happen to have the part #s for the four seals along with the bump stop (mine disintegrated and needs to be replaced)
Yes! You are looking for a "21mm strut socket"; you can google it, but here's one on eBay and elsewhere:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23262590042...xoCFQcQAvD_BwE

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...BoCn08QAvD_BwE

Parts:
shock lower o-ring: 958-343-045-00
support ring: 958-343-253-00

ribbed ring: 958-343-060-00
top o-ring: N-903-677-01
upper shock mount/seal: 958-343-018-20

By "bump stop" I assume you mean the rubber bump stop within the air spring? If so, that can only be installed when the air bag is assembled from the factory (when the bag is crimped to the outer case of the top mount). To replace it, you'll need to replace the air bag itself. Hope that helps!
Old 02-09-2023, 07:37 AM
Tim Matar
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I recently replaced one of the front air-springs. I too found a disintegrated bump stop that as Garrett says is integral to the air-spring and can’t be replaced. Any new spring/bag should include it. Be aware that the disintegrated bump stop is in the pressurised part of the spring and potentially all through your air lines. When I found this I disconnected all my lines and blew them out with air. To be fair I didn’t find any evidence of contamination in the lines but would have been hard to confirm for sure.

Removing the front springs does not require a special tool. With a strong grip you need to rotate side to side whilst pulling and they will eventually move. It is just a press fit on a greased seal. I may have used a block of wood and a mallet to encourage it with no risk of damage to anything. I did closely follow the re-install procedure from the factory service manual which includes ensuring the bellow is not folded/fouled when re—installing, keeping the residual pressure valve open with an Allen key to allow air to enter when the strut extends during installation and then jacking up the wheel hub slowly and observing the strut seating into the air bellow assembly receiver (flared bit that fits over the strut).

I also fashioned a top nut remover tool using a spark plug socket modified with a angle grinder lol.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tim Matar; 02-09-2023 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Tim Matar
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonm
On the front yes I was able. On the rear I wasn't able without a special tool so ended up returning the rear spring and just buying a complete assembly to replace. My recommendation is to buy the full assembly as install is easier.
Did you have to cut the damper control valve wire? Or did you de-pin and re-pin the connector? BTW in my experience the bags are more likely to leak than the seals. In 3 out of 3 springs in my case. The last one I replaced the bag on, it was a very slow leak and I tested it under water and comfirmed a leak in the bellow seam (genuine original).

Last edited by Tim Matar; 02-09-2023 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Removed an incorrect statement regarding wire.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:29 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspeeds
Sorry, I re-read above, and I think you were asking about the special tool to remove the airbag, not the top strut nut? To remove the airbag, the manual mentions the use of a tool like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28494794025...Cclp%3A2047675

Last edited by garrett376; 02-09-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:38 PM
maxspeeds
Advanced

Hi Garrett,

Thank you!! you are a gentleman and a scholar. I appreciate the link to the air bag removal tool as well as requested part numbers. Thank you for confirming the bump stop will come with the new air bag. My new dilemna is which manufacturer to order the air bags from. I'm on the fence between Miessler as they are located in Germany or I may go with Arnott bags as they are made with ContiTech air sleeve

Quick Reply: DIY air suspension shock disassembly