Sponsored By:

Aftermarket subwoofer addition to the existing burmester system

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 01:13 PM
SteveLyons
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Aftermarket subwoofer addition to the existing burmester system

Is there a place to tap in for pre-amp on the burmester system? The vehicle is a 13 gts.

I was thinking of adding an 18” Rockford fosgate sub to the cargo area in the vehicle.

thoughts?

Last edited by SteveLyons; 05-09-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:59 PM
Flygts
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently replaced the factory sub and sub amp in my 13 gts that has the Bose system. There is power, ground, remote, and signal in the harness going to the sub amp under the spare tire.

Yellow and purple are signal white is remote turn on
Old 05-09-2021, 07:32 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Subscribed. We literally had 10% down on a E Hybrid build when we found out our interior was locked already and passed it up, then lo and behold a darn near perfect '16 Turbo S with Burmester popped up and we're going for it. I was hoping the Burmester would for once not need an aftermarket sub like every other car I've ever owned. Sounds like it will, and that's fine. I enjoy this.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:43 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

Originally Posted by Flygts
I recently replaced the factory sub and sub amp in my 13 gts that has the Bose system. There is power, ground, remote, and signal in the harness going to the sub amp under the spare tire.

Yellow and purple are signal white is remote turn on
Can we talk about your set up? Is that an ID8 that you're running? can you share the model number. How is that Toro micro amp? Its' a $149 amp but made in the USA.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Flygts
Advanced

My set up is an image dynamics IDQ S8 dual 4ohm voice coils. The toro is a great little amp. Paid $100 shipped on Amazon. I lined the interior of the Bose enclosure with Dynamat and added a little poly fill. I also blocked the port to seal the enclosure. I didn’t have any packing peanuts to measure the internal volume, but according to image dynamics, that woofer works in .3-.5 cuft I figured with the volume of the port it has at least.3. The woofer plays loud and deep. Might have to dynamat th spare tire well and pu braces inside the enclosure. Still playing with the xover point. For that amp, according to my brother in law who repairs amps the factory power and ground wires are plenty big. I’ve been beating on this set up, and the amp barely gets warm. No issues with only a 30a factory fuse. The remote level control would be a good option. I almost exclusively listen to xm. I also changed out the the dash tweeters and center channel. Sounds much better.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:25 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Flygts
My set up is an image dynamics IDQ S8 dual 4ohm voice coils. The toro is a great little amp. Paid $100 shipped on Amazon. I lined the interior of the Bose enclosure with Dynamat and added a little poly fill. I also blocked the port to seal the enclosure. I didn’t have any packing peanuts to measure the internal volume, but according to image dynamics, that woofer works in .3-.5 cuft I figured with the volume of the port it has at least.3. The woofer plays loud and deep. Might have to dynamat th spare tire well and pu braces inside the enclosure. Still playing with the xover point. For that amp, according to my brother in law who repairs amps the factory power and ground wires are plenty big. I’ve been beating on this set up, and the amp barely gets warm. No issues with only a 30a factory fuse. The remote level control would be a good option. I almost exclusively listen to xm. I also changed out the the dash tweeters and center channel. Sounds much better.
This is really cool. If your sunroof drains clog and leak, the factory sub woofer amp will get destroyed. This is a relatively low cost, quality solution with easily replaced parts. Please post more pics if you get the chance.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:39 PM
SteveLyons
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres;[url=tel:17418761
17418761[/url]]Subscribed. We literally had 10% down on a E Hybrid build when we found out our interior was locked already and passed it up, then lo and behold a darn near perfect '16 Turbo S with Burmester popped up and we're going for it. I was hoping the Burmester would for once not need an aftermarket sub like every other car I've ever owned. Sounds like it will, and that's fine. I enjoy this.
I have no complaints with the burmester system. If you have the right audio source it sounds amazing.... I just want more deep bass! It’s that simple
Old 05-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveLyons
I was thinking of adding an 18” Rockford fosgate sub to the cargo area in the vehicle.

thoughts?
An 18"?!?! So you're *replacing* the cargo area with a sub enclosure. I had a single Stereo Integrity BM 12 in a very small (0.5 cu ft) sealed enclosure and it did well, but did roll off below 40hz as you'd expect.. Just replaced it with a single audiofrog 12" in a 1.5 cu ft, ported to 33hz, and with cabin gain it gives me plenty of low end down into the 20's (and really shows that I need more deadening in the rear of the car). This coming from a guy who has 4x 18's tuned to 18hz in a small-medium sized home theater. An 18 would be nuts! (Though I do sometimes think about cutting the rear floor for an infinite baffle 18 or even a 24, but that would just be for super low distortion...)
Old 05-12-2021, 12:03 AM
Flygts
Advanced

Dynamat

The following users liked this post:
Eskimo1 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 01:26 AM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

subscribed
Old 06-04-2024, 02:51 PM
jaguarshark
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody else tried this or reviewed this setup? I have the Burmester system and the subwoofer could definitely be improved. Tempted to try this mod or do a custom round box.
Old 06-06-2024, 04:54 AM
Veee8
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where would you like to put the 18"? I have tried to find an 18" woofer that would fit into the spare wheel well and I'm yet to discover one. I think max depth is 10" (incuding space needed for woofer cone movement). But you can find 15" woofers that fit there...
Old 06-07-2024, 05:26 PM
jaguarshark
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well no, not 18". I mean replace the driver and amp in the Bose/Burmester setup. I'm going to remove my Burm subwoofer and see if I can upgrade whatever it in there. I believe it's a 10" driver, so I'll have to toy around with ideas.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:51 AM
Veee8
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go the custom box route.
Do you need/have a spare wheel? if yes then here is an example build log how to make a box inside it.
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...7#post-6220497
i think replacing the woofer in this thin plastic box will not be a drastic change for the better.

I have a burmester in my Cayenne and I took it out and replaced with a high sensitivity 12" woofer in a generic plywood box while keeping factory amp. Improvement was noticeable. My long term plan is to put Dayton Audio 15" ultimax in a 2 cu ft fiberglass box in the spare wheel well as i don't have a spare.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket subwoofer addition to the existing burmester system