Sponsored By:

2018 or 2019 - Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Duka
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2018 or 2019 - Help me decide

Looking for input on which generation Cayenne to purchase. I currently have a 2016 Q5 (27k Miles) and a 2015 S4 (29K miles). I originally bought the Q5 a few years ago in anticipation of expanding the family but now that I have a 2 week old at home, I have quickly realized that the Q5 is just too small.
I have narrowed my search down to either a 2018 or 2019 base Porsche Cayenne. I know that the 2 years are very different (updated interior/exterior and engine). I would like to keep it under $65k with fewer than 30k miles. I would also consider a Cayenne S or GTS if it falls within those millage/price parameters (Turbo will likely not be within the budget). I would love to get peoples input on reliability for these 2 model years, your experience with them and if there is anything specific to look out for. I am aware of the issues with the transfer case and timing cover in the 958 but haven't heard of many issues with the 2019 model - likely because is just too new. I put about 5k miles per year on my vehicles if that makes any difference.

I test drove both the 2018 and 2019 today and they were both excellent and very different - both were CPO. I enjoyed the raw sound from the naturally aspirated 958 and also thought that the seats were more comfortable when compared to the 2019. I also like the looks of the rear taillights in the 2018 better than the newer ones. The 2019 felt like it had more pep across the power band (due to the turbo), especially on the lower end/acceleration. I liked the keyless entry option in the 2019 and also the updated tech/infotainment (PCP). The seats did not feel as comfortable as the 2018. That being said, I am very torn between the two. Would love some input from the brain trust.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:07 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

I personally prefer the 958.2 generation over the newest Cayenne. I really do not like the "over electoniced" driver experience. I prefer buttons that I can feel without taking my eyes off of the road. I also don't like going through menus to do something relatively simple. I realize that Porsche's competitors (including its sister company Audi) moved to more "technology" in the cockpit. I have always thought of Porsche as a high end performance brand that is unique from its peers. Now I wonder if the powers that be in Stuttgart believe they need more "luxury" to compete. In addition, there is also cost items to consider. Screen controls are cheaper than multiple buttons and switches. If I wanted a heads up display, increasing volume with the wave of my hand across the screen, and other things like that, I would probably add BMW, MB, and others to mu list. It's all just personal. I simply like the unique space that Porsche has occupied, and now view their cars moving toward the "another luxury car" mentality.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:24 AM
hawk14414
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just traded my 2019 CS in for a 2018 CTT. Of course the v8 was part of the equation, but after putting 20k on the newer iteration, I realized I prefer the old school hard switches of the 958.2 to the electronic gadgetry of the 9Y0. I will say that the performance, particularly the handling of the 9Y0, was simply excellent.
The following users liked this post:
Eskimo1 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I had mixed feelings on the newer mode i had as a loaner. I liked the exterior looks, but the interior looked super cheap. Both the loaner and my 958 had full leather, but things like the head light switches, buttons, clock, etc just looked and felt cheap. The touch screen and black plastic area around the shifter was covered in finger prints and scratches. It didn't have the feel of the older car in that respect. I didn't like all the touchscreen menus for things and i found the engine a bit buzzy.

On the upside, the ride of the standard steel suspension was outstanding, the car was whisper quiet, and the hvac worked seemingly in a normal fashion compared to the bizarre behavior of my 958. For a base car, I found the performance quite good.

All in, the tech stuff isn't for me, so I don't think I'd upgrade.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:32 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts

A few years ago Audi designers went on and on and on about how they hated touchscreens and the important of tactile adjustment of the MMI because you could feel the ***** without taking your eyes off the road, because after all you were in a driving machine.

Look at all this touchscreen crap now.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:52 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts

I know it's not what you asked, but what about a CPO 18 or 19 Q7? You can get a very well equipped Prestige model for less than $65k. We had a 17 and now have a 19 and it's a great family hauler. Not as sporty as the Cayenne handling wise but given that you're focused on a base Cayenne , you might find more value in the Q7. Just a thought.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:37 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve driven a couple of the new Cayennes as loaners. I like the styling and performance more than my 2015, but fear that all of those electronics are going to be $$$$$$$$$ to fix one day. The dealership shop manager felt the same and let me know it would definitely be a massive cost.

Quick Reply: 2018 or 2019 - Help me decide