Sponsored By:

Audi S4 to Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by luciano136
I'm wondering if any other Audi S4 owners (or any sporty sedan really) went the Cayenne route? I currently have a diesel Merc ML that I use for snow/utility/mild offroad duty and an S4 for any other trips. I'm thinking about consolidating the two vehicles in one but still want something that handles well and is fun/sporty to drive. I think the Cayenne is pretty much the only option. I like the GLE AMG better styling wise but doubt it will handle as good as a Cayenne.

My S4 is a 2013 B8.5 Prestige with a stage 1 tune (~ 430hp) and I'm leaning mostly towards the 958.1 Cayenne GTS (although not opposed to 958.2 S either); probably with 20" wheels since tire selection is better for winter/offroad driving.

Thoughts ?
I came from an S6 wagon, the Cayenne turbo drives way better
Old 03-16-2021, 12:07 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
I came from an S6 wagon, the Cayenne turbo drives way better
Air suspension probably. From all the reviews I've read, it sounds like it makes a huge difference on the Cayenne. One of the reasons I want to stick with the GTS or CTT.
The following users liked this post:
Mirrorslap (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 04:23 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jonUF02
I just bought a 2011 CS. My other car, which will probably be for sale soon, is a 2012 Mercedes E550 sedan I've driven daily for 5+ years. I wanted a even trade money wise, and the Turbo was out of reach. The N/A V8 certainly has a different power curve than the 4.7 Biturbo in my E550, and somewhat of a disappointment in the acceleration after having a 4.5 sec 0-60 car for 5 years. The Cayenne was a compromise. I wanted something that can tow, but still powerful and not rolly polly like most SUVs. It does take a corner well though. I really wanted to test an ML550, but the closest one was 100mi away. They are rare just like my E550 sedan. I settled on the CS for a couple of years. My all metal suspension is quite stiff, not comfy like a Mercedes, bouncy and bumpy even with 18" wheels (big sidewalls). I'm kinda feeling like Porsche is overrated after driving it for a few weeks. I'll probably dump it for a ML550 or MLE 43 or 63 depending on budget in a couple years. I could give the CT a try, but I'm just in love with how nice and effortless Mercedes drive. Wife is driving a 2015 GL550 and it's faster than the CS on a straight, but too bulky. Porsche is just tuned for pushing hard, not really great comfort for picking up the kids from daycare. Maybe air suspension would be the icing I need on my cake, but a rare option on the S in my southern area, seems more common up north. The other factors are just the let down that I'm missing basic luxury amenities for a car of this price tag. No steering wheel controls for radio and phone, no blind spot monitoring, no ventilated seats, no auto-dim mirrors, I really miss the brake hold on a flat that all MB have, and the silky smooth stealth power of that 550 biturbo engine. I've also been dealing with a few system faults in the CS @ 105K Mi. My E has been flawless at the same 106k Mi except for replacing the A/C compressor, and parts are much cheaper. Everything Porsche is super expensive. They must have an amazing legal team because you can't find any simple aftermarket parts for them, or even anything that looks like Porsche logo on Ebay, Amazon, etc. Only things I've found are interior window switches and knock-off wheels that look exact.
Seems like the air suspension makes a huge difference on the Cayenne. A higher performance ML/GLE was also on my list but I doubt the handling will be very good. I've had several Mercs over the years (including two ML) and they are excellent fwy cruisers but I find the steering feel to be pretty numb, so backroads aren't great.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:30 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

I've not had an S4, but I have had an S3. The S3 was MUCH lighter feeling, and faster than my GTS, but the GTS is quite honestly as much, if not more fun to pilot. I think the fact it drives so well for its sheer size is part of the appeal. Well, that and it's brutish V8 motor which makes all the right noises. Given the option to pick one to run everyday, I'd take the older, slower Cayenne GTS V8.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:35 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
I've not had an S4, but I have had an S3. The S3 was MUCH lighter feeling, and faster than my GTS, but the GTS is quite honestly as much, if not more fun to pilot. I think the fact it drives so well for its sheer size is part of the appeal. Well, that and it's brutish V8 motor which makes all the right noises. Given the option to pick one to run everyday, I'd take the older, slower Cayenne GTS V8.
Yea, I'm thinking the chassis and motor make up for the lack of straight line acceleration. Nice screen name btw; I used to have a supercharged 2.8 Z3 before my 996TT
Old 03-17-2021, 12:40 AM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was thinking from Cayenne to S5 Sportback or Q8. New Cayenne S also on the list
Old 03-17-2021, 02:26 AM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sudar
I was thinking from Cayenne to S5 Sportback or Q8. New Cayenne S also on the list
If you don't need the space or ground clearance, S5 Sportback for sure! Really nice cars.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:07 AM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

If you don't need the space or ground clearance, S5 Sportback for sure! Really nice cars.
I do need space, but Sportback has lots of cargo room. Not sure about back seats, would have to test drive one.
I was always curious on reliability Audi vs Porsche. I remember Audi had crappy reputation
Old 03-17-2021, 09:46 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Audi reliability has improved substantially but still not equal to Porsche. Their 4.0L V8 TT has some known but random problems with turbo failures due to oil screen contamination and #5 cylinder failures. Their 3.0L V6 doesn't have these problems. I wouldn't own an Audi out of warranty (JMO) and mine is fully covered for the next five years for that reason.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:18 AM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Audi reliability has improved substantially but still not equal to Porsche. Their 4.0L V8 TT has some known but random problems with turbo failures due to oil screen contamination and #5 cylinder failures. Their 3.0L V6 doesn't have these problems. I wouldn't own an Audi out of warranty (JMO) and mine is fully covered for the next five years for that reason.
Say you take Audi Q7/Q8, VW Touareg, and Caynne. All based on same platform, and use same powertrain. Would that mean reliability is roughly the same across all three?

When it comes to Audi I am more interested in their base V6s(I think used in Porsche as well), turbocharged V6s(Audi only), and perhaps the 2.9l TT that's shared with Porsche.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:32 AM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I do need space, but Sportback has lots of cargo room. Not sure about back seats, would have to test drive one.
I was always curious on reliability Audi vs Porsche. I remember Audi had crappy reputation
I've driven the Sportback and sat in the back; definitely cozy but not terrible if you're under 6 feet. Reliability has improved a lot but there are still some issues here in there. The motor in my 13 S4 is pretty solid. The thermostat is about the only item that can fail but thankfully a cheap fix if it does happen.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:53 AM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

I've driven the Sportback and sat in the back; definitely cozy but not terrible if you're under 6 feet. Reliability has improved a lot but there are still some issues here in there. The motor in my 13 S4 is pretty solid. The thermostat is about the only item that can fail but thankfully a cheap fix if it does happen.
Backseat is for the front facing carseat. Wife has 2nd generation IS350 and it's horrible. Macan isn't that great either. My Caynne is just perfect for now but I am already thinking ahead if I will decide to replace it or get rid off Lexus
Old 03-17-2021, 12:49 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Backseat is for the front facing carseat. Wife has 2nd generation IS350 and it's horrible. Macan isn't that great either. My Caynne is just perfect for now but I am already thinking ahead if I will decide to replace it or get rid off Lexus
Yea, the Macan is pretty cramped; I looked at it instead of a Cayenne but need more space. The seat should fit fine in the Sportback but the sloping roofline could be annoying to put a child in the car seat; that's something to think about. My wife had a VW GTI when my daughter was born through about age 6; it worked just fine, even with a back facing seat.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:08 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Yea, the Macan is pretty cramped; I looked at it instead of a Cayenne but need more space. The seat should fit fine in the Sportback but the sloping roofline could be annoying to put a child in the car seat; that's something to think about. My wife had a VW GTI when my daughter was born through about age 6; it worked just fine, even with a back facing seat.
I had 2 door BMW M235i when son was born, worked much better then IS350
Old 03-17-2021, 02:26 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I had 2 door BMW M235i when son was born, worked much better then IS350
Ha! That IS350 must really suck LOL

Quick Reply: Audi S4 to Cayenne?