Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

16' Base Water leak, blown amp Not covered under warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 06:26 PM
Antee
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16' Base Water leak, blown amp Not covered under warrenty?

My Cayenne is currently at the dealer after the PCM stopped playing audio. It appears water got in somehow and destroyed the Bose amp and the headliner is also wet. I have found enough threads about the issue but it isn't clear if this is something that is covered under warranty or a good will claim with PCNA? Car is now under the CPO warranty and the dealer is saying because it's an external factor they won't cover the repair and I have an estimate for over $4k+ to replace the amp with 12 hours of tear down and diag at an astounding $213/hr.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited by Antee; 02-12-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:20 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

My amp was replaced under CPO warranty with zero problem from the dealer and it takes nowhere near 12 hours - if I remember correctly it is under the spare tire in the hatch. Mine was wet and they gave me no trouble getting it replaced. Was it a blockage in your sunroof drains?
Old 02-12-2021, 11:30 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
My amp was replaced under CPO warranty with zero problem from the dealer and it takes nowhere near 12 hours - if I remember correctly it is under the spare tire in the hatch. Mine was wet and they gave me no trouble getting it replaced. Was it a blockage in your sunroof drains?
if it’s Bose it’s in the right side of the rear pillar. Water comes in through the sunroof and drops down. Happened to me and it just dried out and worked again. The part is $1000-ish dollars, but labor shouldn’t be 12 hours unless they’re doing more than replacing the amp. Maybe 4-mechanic hours as you need to remove screws and plastic screws that are awful to access the amp. But DIY-able.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:49 AM
Antee
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
if it’s Bose it’s in the right side of the rear pillar. Water comes in through the sunroof and drops down. Happened to me and it just dried out and worked again. The part is $1000-ish dollars, but labor shouldn’t be 12 hours unless they’re doing more than replacing the amp. Maybe 4-mechanic hours as you need to remove screws and plastic screws that are awful to access the amp. But DIY-able.
It is the Bose and that part of the car is I believe currently still dissembled as I have seen photos of the area. The quote breakdown labor for $332.22 and $1,380 parts for the amplifier (part seems well above list to me if its just the amp) and 12 hours all labor for "water leak diag - clear drains, remove interior and leak test" for $2567.

Thank you for the data point. I am surprised they are giving me problems and I plan on fully pushing it as a warranty issue. They currently don't want to tell me where the leak is coming from unless I authorize their quote but my best guess based on this not being a isolated issue is the sunroof drain.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:11 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Antee
It is the Bose and that part of the car is I believe currently still dissembled as I have seen photos of the area. The quote breakdown labor for $332.22 and $1,380 parts for the amplifier (part seems well above list to me if its just the amp) and 12 hours all labor for "water leak diag - clear drains, remove interior and leak test" for $2567.
$1700 to fix that isn’t crazy - while it shouldn’t take a trained mech 1.5-2hrs to swap the amp, I believe there is some coding to match the PCM, so $332 labor for disassembly, install, coding, and putting back together is fine.

The diagnosis part is thievery. There is a DIY on cleaning the drains. Pretty sure it’s the same one as mine - rear sunroof drains - but worth cleaning them all (and not just flushing Benjamin’s down there which seems a to be dealers choice).
Old 02-15-2021, 12:20 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

My indy charged me $60 to clean out the drains.
Old 07-03-2024, 03:44 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

My indy charged me $60 to clean out the drains.

Thread revival…

Soooo… had this issue while going through the car wash (don’t worry, it’s the touchless kind) and so after the second time I’m like this needs to be fixed. The solution couldn’t be simpler! There are two sunroof drains under the car. The problem is they are pinched at the outlet, for lack of a better word. If you simply cut the tip just a bit, you’ll find they drain MUCH better. That’s it!!!

Worst case, you’ll need to remove your Bose amp and open it up to dry it out. It will live again and cost you 0.0$$$

Here’s a link to the video I used…

Old 07-09-2024, 04:36 AM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Well I lied… my amp got shorted so yeah, expensive car wash. New amp was $1215!!! Dang!
On the bright side, the sunroof drains work now, lol.

As for the amplifier, there is a repair service… Paulson Corporation says they can be repaired but I chose the expensive way out and went with a new one. 😩

Quick Reply: 16' Base Water leak, blown amp Not covered under warrenty?