Sponsored By:

Loose Wire 2016 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 06:03 PM
hldr
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Wire 2016 Cayenne S

Hello all - I have a Cayenne S 2016 that i changed the spark plugs on this weekend. While removing the drivers side coils i noticed the wire loose in the attached photo. We bought this car a in Sept 2019 as a CPO with 48000 miles. It had all service done until that point at the Porsche Dealer including plugs at 30k. I decided to tackle the plugs and filters myself to save the money and came across this disconnected wire. it clearly appears to be a ground but im not sure at to where to attach (if it is a ground). Im wondering if it goes under the torx bolt that holds the coil wiring down as seen with the brass colored hole. it was doubled back as shown when i found it. It is located near the rear plug drivers side. Any advice would be welcome as im going to button it back up tonight. I have not been able to locate a wiring diagram for the v6 s.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:21 PM
hldr
Cruisin'

Now i realize it will not reach the hole in the first photo. So im wondering about this location shown below. Can someone confirm that this is a ground and its whereabouts? Its just kind of strange it would have to be doubled back 180 degrees to connect.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:44 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by hldr
Now i realize it will not reach the hole in the first photo. So im wondering about this location shown below. Can someone confirm that this is a ground and its whereabouts? Its just kind of strange it would have to be doubled back 180 degrees to connect.
You are correct, There are several in the engine compartment. It might be one of these: That is one of two grounds on each bank. The pictures I have attached are for bank two (U.S. driver's side). The dealer must have done a job that required the disconnecting of the grounds, valve cover removal comes to mind. I recommend taking it to them and ask them to finish the job. It will take them all of 15 minutes.

I've attached pictures. You do not need to tear it down as far as I did for what you need to do. If you tackle it yourself, unbolt the coil pack beauty trim, the wire harness is held in place by a friction fit right next to where the grounds are connected. Procure the correct bolt. I have found that the bolt is in such a tight place that a 12 point 8mm box end ratchet wrench, e.g. gearwrench is perfect . A torx bit female socket will not fit in the tight space.

Bank 2, U.S. Driver's side

1 of 2 grounds. Forward. Between the valve cover and intake manifold.

2 of 2 grounds. Rear. Between the valve cover and intake manifold.

Last edited by CAVU; 02-07-2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:00 PM
hldr
Cruisin'

good call in december Park Place in dallas replaced that valve cover gasket under warranty.

mine is a little different. its at the very back of the bank.

looks like it could go to the circled location below but they have it routed through a clip (arrow) that will make it a bit difficult. havent been able to locate the passenger side bank ground to compare yet.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:47 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 278 Posts

There are two on each bank. There wiring harness is zipped tied to a plastic holder, see pics. At the end of each plastic holder is a box that slips over the half moon extension from the valve cover. look in that area and you will see the attachment points for the four ground wires.

Quick Reply: Loose Wire 2016 Cayenne S