Sponsored By:

Tiptronic Transmission: resetting to new driving habits

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 10:31 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Tiptronic Transmission: resetting to new driving habits

My wife and I picked up the 2016 Cayenne S we were looking at (46,000 miles). Super nice car, once we got the dealership to actually step in and take care of the stuff that should have been done (long story-cracked housing for 3rd taillight, alignment issue that caused uneven wear on the non-N-spec tires). It is clean though, both inside and outside, and I love the red on black interior. It reminds us of our old 2017 C2S with bordeaux on black interior.

My wife has been complaining about the Tiptronic: she says it acts in a lazy way all of the time. On cruise at 75mph, she will hit a hill and it won't downshift till the speed drops to 69 or so. It wants to drive in "80-year old going to church on Sunday" mode. How do we re-set this so that she isn't always manually paddle-shifting the transmission when driving around town. Not that it isn't fun, but it is kind of silly to have to shift due to the car having trouble maintaining speed on a hill on the freeway. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2021, 12:28 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

Drive in sport mode for a while.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:09 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You may have the boost issue...Mine was like that until I had the dealer do an ECU refresh/update/whatever.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:51 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a MY 2017 (manufactured in 2016) and feels like the same issue - very sluggish, can't maintain cruise at 80mph on very slight grades. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet to ask about it. I'm out of warranty (just bought it used), but I hope they will take care of it as part of the prepaid Porsche Maintenance Plan. I'll probably wait until my 40K service, which should be about May.

I wonder if there is some sort of suspension design issue. The service history on mine had like 3 or 4 alignments in a 4 year period.

The more I find out about problems in this forum, the more concerned I'm becoming, and it's making me think more seriously about an extended warranty. On the forum for my 981 the list of problems is miniscule and almost all relatively minor.

Here is that tech bulletin about the cruise control.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Transmission: resetting to new driving habits