Sponsored By:

Do our transmissions not rev match

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 12:24 PM
duffman04
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Do our transmissions not rev match

Just curious if everyone else's 8spd 958 turbo does not rev match smoothly? I took mine in for the transfer case last week and got a 2020 cayenne base with the same trans as far as I know and it downshifted nearly perfectly, similar to the PDK in the Macan. I have a Fabspeed tune on mine so not sure if that somehow affected the transmission tuning.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

not quite sure what you mean as automatics don't rev match in the traditional sense given the obvious fluid coupling. Pretty much all of shift feel, speed, etc is computer controlled at this point and generally the shifts are smooth, but not very snappy. Its a slush box thats generally tuned for comfort rather than outright performance.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:08 PM
duffman04
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
not quite sure what you mean as automatics don't rev match in the traditional sense given the obvious fluid coupling. Pretty much all of shift feel, speed, etc is computer controlled at this point and generally the shifts are smooth, but not very snappy. Its a slush box thats generally tuned for comfort rather than outright performance.
I am just meaning at what point did the transmission programming change to blip the throttle to rev match on downshifts. My'12 does it very slightly but its largely just putting it in the lower gear and then the motor is forced to match the revs for the speed. The 2020 base rev matched and blipped the throttle really nicely on downshifts.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:45 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 287 Posts

It looks like it's actually a different transmission.

958 - 8-Speed Aisin Tiptronic S automatic
9YO - 8-speed
ZF 8HP series automatic with Tiptronic manual shift mode

I'm guessing the ZF transmission is more advanced and can do the rev matching stuff where the older ones do not. I'm sure there are more specifics that more knowledgeable people can contribute but there you go.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:55 PM
duffman04
Instructor

Originally Posted by spyderbret
It looks like it's actually a different transmission.

958 - 8-Speed Aisin Tiptronic S automatic
9YO - 8-speed
ZF 8HP series automatic with Tiptronic manual shift mode

I'm guessing the ZF transmission is more advanced and can do the rev matching stuff where the older ones do not. I'm sure there are more specifics that more knowledgeable people can contribute but there you go.
Thanks! Thats probably exactly it. For some reason I thought they both had the same transmissions.
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (11-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Do our transmissions not rev match