Sponsored By:

Activating Towing electronics

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 02:43 PM
duffman04
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Activating Towing electronics

I have a 2012 Cayenne Turbo with the towing package from the factory but appears to have never been used. I plugged in a tester to make sure it was working (figured I could tap into it too for larger backup lights) but I couldn't get anything from the connector. Does this need to be activated in the management software or something? Or am I missing some sort of switch or fuse somewhere?
Old 11-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

From my limited testing trying to get an auxiliary reverse light to work, the car does look for an amount of resistance across the circuits before it powers up the other pins. I had to connect one of the "european car trailer light out LED" adapters in before the car would power up the trailer wiring. (or connect it to a trailer)

Might be worth a check to make sure the wiring is connected into the back of the 7-way plug, too
Old 11-12-2020, 07:01 PM
duffman04
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
From my limited testing trying to get an auxiliary reverse light to work, the car does look for an amount of resistance across the circuits before it powers up the other pins. I had to connect one of the "european car trailer light out LED" adapters in before the car would power up the trailer wiring. (or connect it to a trailer)

Might be worth a check to make sure the wiring is connected into the back of the 7-way plug, too
I hadn't thought about needing resistance on the circuit. Maybe I'll give the european thing a try. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Eskimo1 (11-17-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 05:28 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Maybe this needs its own thread, but is there anything you could hook up if you are not towing but using a bike or motorcycle carrier? I'm always worried about accidentally hitting the tailgate button and it would be nice to not have the parking sensors go off every time something is on the hitch.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:46 PM
duffman04
Instructor

Originally Posted by vwbrd
Maybe this needs its own thread, but is there anything you could hook up if you are not towing but using a bike or motorcycle carrier? I'm always worried about accidentally hitting the tailgate button and it would be nice to not have the parking sensors go off every time something is on the hitch.
Crap I didn't think of that... I will hopefully have time this evening to get this wired up. If it disables my parking sensors I'll have to find a different way to get aux backup lights wired up.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:33 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by vwbrd
Amazon Amazon
This will make the car think there's a trailer connected.

Quick Reply: Activating Towing electronics