Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Fitting rear shocks w/o air assist to 2014 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 02:13 PM
bikemike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fitting rear shocks w/o air assist to 2014 Cayenne

So my simple rear brake job and brake fluid flush turned into a leaky rear shock also. Removed old strut and replaced shock before I realized the strut assembly is too long to reassemble easily. Compressing strut with a jack seems futile and possibly dangerous? Does hub assembly need to be lowered down by strategic removal of control arms?? Is there another way I haven't thought of to line up shock mount and shock? Is it time to flat bed it to a shop for completion? Help!!!! Thanks!
Old 10-04-2020, 05:00 PM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

You are correct. The rear shocks with steel spring suspension apply preload even with the suspension at full droop. This is because the rubber suspension bushings apply a force in the opposite direction, so "full droop" is just the point of equalization. I installed the Bilstein cup kit last year and had the same problem.

I think the easiest way would be if you can use a spring compressor to compress the spring installed on the shock and then use straps/wire/large zip ties to hold the spring compressed. Then cut them loose once you get all the bolts installed.
You can just barely get one spring compressor in there, but it needs to be a just the perfect rotation or it won't fit into the body cavity.

I ended up loosening all the control arm bolts and push down on the rotor hat with one foot and you can get the bottom bolt in there. They were really a giant PITA. I didn't expect a simple shock swap to take anywhere near as long as it did.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:18 PM
bikemike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had started to use 1 spring compressor with the upper strut installed but then thought there might be a better way....haha. I guess tomorrow I retry the spring compressor and maybe a 2x4 to help lever the hub down and try for alignment. Thanks for the info.

UPDATE: a 5 foot 2x4 to lever the hub down while a partner threads the shock bolt through, then jack the hub up to align the sway bar link and continue to thread the bolt through. What looked like an impossible job became pretty easy!

Last edited by bikemike; 10-05-2020 at 06:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eskimo1 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:50 AM
v1no
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

side note, have you got a picture of the ride height of the Bilstein cup kit on your cayenne?
Old 06-15-2024, 07:45 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bikemike
I had started to use 1 spring compressor with the upper strut installed but then thought there might be a better way....haha. I guess tomorrow I retry the spring compressor and maybe a 2x4 to help lever the hub down and try for alignment. Thanks for the info.

UPDATE: a 5 foot 2x4 to lever the hub down while a partner threads the shock bolt through, then jack the hub up to align the sway bar link and continue to thread the bolt through. What looked like an impossible job became pretty easy!
Sorry to ressurect such an old thread! Question - even with the 2x4 pushing down on the hub did you still need the spring compressor? Or was pushing the hub down enough? I've been compressing the shock with a small jack. Was wrestling with this door half a day yesterday and need to finish it off and do the other side!

Quick Reply: Fitting rear shocks w/o air assist to 2014 Cayenne