Sponsored By:

The brake job

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 11:05 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Which is why I'm asking. Not trying to go cheap, but if less expensive is as functional, with no squeaks or reduction in performance, why spend the extra?

And again, I won't be responsible for maintenance on this vehicle in 2 years, so is spending that extra $100 a good use of the money? Will the ECS/Amazon parts work as well?
Probably will work if parts fit. Don't know if you'll get squeaks.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:14 AM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you guys order new anti-rattle springs when doing a brake job? Most other manufacturers recommend it, but normally they're like $10. I see FCP charges like $60!

So I assume it's not necessary but just thought I'd ask. I know I read that you need new caliper bolts.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:39 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Do you guys order new anti-rattle springs when doing a brake job? Most other manufacturers recommend it, but normally they're like $10. I see FCP charges like $60!

So I assume it's not necessary but just thought I'd ask. I know I read that you need new caliper bolts.
You only need them if yours are worn as far as I understand/know. Being worn is not having proper sprint/pressure on the pads and will allow pads to rattle but will still allow pads to work. I was going to order from FCP, but since i was getting some hard to find ceiling panel slips from a Porsche dealer I was passing by, i got those caliper springs as well. Price was the same as FCP ($25/each front $12/each rear) I just went ahead and got them. Personally.... its such a cheap part that having rattling due to the $50 savings isn't worth it to me, because then you would need to open everything up again just to get to those spring clips. I'm going all out with these springs, new bolts, pads, rotors, sensors, even rotor set screw. I also am getting new lug bolts, but that's just me replacing the original worn lugs, the ball cups seem beat up to me. Also got new tires on order Conti DSW6.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:52 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow nicely done. What do you think your into cost wise for all of the brake parts? Under $1k?
Old 09-28-2020, 04:30 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

from fcp euro
front brake kit $362
rear pads set $86
rear rotors set $262
rear sensor set $22
Total: $732 for parts for front and rear.

Porsche
front pads $308
front rotors $481
front sensors $89
rear pads $183
rear rotors $319
rear sensors $54
Total: $1434 caliper bolts are $4.50 each for front and $3.00 for rear.

I know who I'm going with.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:50 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

I spoke to "Porsche" indy shop. The owner is in the PCA and stuff so they do alot of Porsche work there. They tried charging me $100 less than the stealership. Why wouldn't I just go to stealership for that? I said are you using OEM Porsche parts? No, Textar/Zimmerman. Thanks, have a great life!
Old 09-28-2020, 04:58 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dc1225
I spoke to "Porsche" indy shop. The owner is in the PCA and stuff so they do alot of Porsche work there. They tried charging me $100 less than the stealership. Why wouldn't I just go to stealership for that? I said are you using OEM Porsche parts? No, Textar/Zimmerman. Thanks, have a great life!

You literally just made my day with this funny..... i can't stop.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:02 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F SANE IL

You literally just made my day with this funny..... i can't stop.
Wow, one person on this board laughed at my jokes, finally. F Sane, I love you!
Old 09-28-2020, 05:23 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Wow nicely done. What do you think your into cost wise for all of the brake parts? Under $1k?
FCPEURO - Total $736.32 Which included (Front & Rear Rotors, pads, sensors, set screws, caliper bolts, springs) I paid a bit less since FCP had a discount of 10% when you spend over a certain amount. so I think i got a decent deal.

Also I ended up purchasing a set of triple square bit set for $25 on Amazon, some other tools and some fluids for the job. All in all, between tools part for brakes, plus tires and lug bolts, etc.... i think I'm in like $2k. But the tools stay forever (tool obsession here) plus the pads, rotors and tires will last the next 40k miles for sure (i think). If i do run the pads to the ground, the next set will be cheaper and easier with some of the new tools.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:25 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Wow, one person on this board laughed at my jokes, finally. F Sane, I love you!
Old 10-04-2020, 03:41 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Finished yesterday..... all was ok, didn't flush the system just yet.

Looks like whomever was in there before me did a dirty job.

1. Rear sensors weren't connected st all.
2. Rear screws for shoe adjustment were stripped. Had to use the and hammer to get them out and onto new rotors.
3. The cleaning got me.... took too long for this brake job due to so much dirt and dust.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:40 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

3. The cleaning got me.... took too long for this brake job due to so much dirt and dust.
Ha, yeah, that gets everyone the first time. These forums always underestimate the time it takes to do brakes, especially when something is stuck or needs to be hammered on. Also, getting out your tools, cleaning things and putting your tools back.

I love it when folks say it takes 20min to bleed brakes (dry method and just a bleed). It takes me 20min to just get the car setup, the bleeder out of the box....and one wheel off.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:32 AM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Finished yesterday..... all was ok, didn't flush the system just yet.

Looks like whomever was in there before me did a dirty job.

1. Rear sensors weren't connected st all.
2. Rear screws for shoe adjustment were stripped. Had to use the and hammer to get them out and onto new rotors.
Good Job! How is the car braking? Dust level?
Old 10-05-2020, 01:33 AM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3Series
Ha, yeah, that gets everyone the first time. These forums always underestimate the time it takes to do brakes, especially when something is stuck or needs to be hammered on. Also, getting out your tools, cleaning things and putting your tools back.

I love it when folks say it takes 20min to bleed brakes (dry method and just a bleed). It takes me 20min to just get the car setup, the bleeder out of the box....and one wheel off.
3 Series, sir you are in the wrong forum. www.bimmerpost.com is where your home is. J/K. I am from Chicago as well just wanna say hi.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:01 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Good Job! How is the car braking? Dust level?
At first brakes felt just like they did on old setup. Went on the highway since the 8month old was fussy and drove around for a bit. After the highway, the brakes are exactly what I was looking for. Immediate bite and linear hold through entire braking process. I got the Zimm rotors and all Textar pads. I can't comment on the dust yet since I haven't had time to wash the car in quite a bit. I did replace all the things except fluid flush the brake fluid. Torqued everything to exact spec, even the new wheel lug bolts. With the new tires and new brakes the drive and stop feels much better. Now i got to change out those pesky upper control arms to stop the knocking over potholes and see what bushings or what else is worn and needs changing.

I can report back on brake dust if I pay attention to it. I never really cared or payed much attention to it.

Quick Reply: The brake job