How the Air Suspension works

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 06:39 PM
Iustin Simion
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How the Air Suspension works

Hello everyone,

New Cayenne Diesel owner and new forum member here.

So I'm opening this threat to confirm that my air suspension behaves like expected.

It's my first car with air suspension so some of the questions might sound silly.

I'll try to organize my questions:
It is normal/your car does the same thing:
1. When you unlock the car (suspension left in Normal height mode when you leave it, over night, for example) to find the car in the Low position?
I find mine in the low position but after I start the engine, in the next 10-20 seconds the car goes back to normal level.

2. With the engine off, when you open the driver door, is it normal to hear the compressor for a few seconds?
Mine runs for a few seconds when I open the driver door.

3. Should the compressor start from time to time when driving? I'm not sure if everyone can hear theirs, I can hear the click from the relay.
I can hear the click from the relay from time to time, for short periods of time.

I had a leaky rear air bag replaced and I'm trying to make sure everything is working as expected. My concern is the high number of starts and stops for the compressor.
Please note the following: I don't have any errors on it, I left if over night in the highest level with jack mode activated and measured at the wheels - found them in the same position so (I least I hope) I don't have any leaks currently.

Thank you very much for taking your time to review this topic.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:46 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

1. My CD stays at the same height. It does not automatically go into low or loading.
2. I may occasionally hear the compressor run if I change the loading in the vehicle (passenger, cargo, etc...)
3. I have not noticed the compressor running while driving.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:49 PM
Ming Yang
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
1. My CD stays at the same height. It does not automatically go into low or loading.
2. I may occasionally hear the compressor run if I change the loading in the vehicle (passenger, cargo, etc...)
3. I have not noticed the compressor running while driving.
Same with mine.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:01 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

OP where are you in the world? I know sometimes different markets have different options enabled as standard in vehicle systems. I could see comfort entry possibly being configured to lower the vehicle to loading level when the key is removed if it has air in some areas of the world. I would think as long as the system indicates it is at the correct level, is able to change modes and is not throwing errors it is probably functioning as intended.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:26 AM
Radi
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

100% sure you have a air suspension leak.
The following users liked this post:
Norge911 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 01:04 PM
Iustin Simion
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I Also suspect it has something to do with comfort Access. Sometimes after I park it I can hear the compressor running and see the car lowering itself so I hope it’s not a leak.

I’m in Europe, Romania. The car was made in Germany.

Now I’ll take my VCDS and log in some data about the compressor relay to make sure if the click I hear is from it.

Thank you once again. I’ll post here some logs (eg. in 10kms the compressor started x times)
Old 09-18-2020, 03:50 PM
13CayenneTurbo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Cayenne with air suspension is also active with filling and adjusting after starting up, and sometimes after parking. I dont think that’s a sign of a leak. A leak is pretty obvious because the corner of the leak will be slammed low, where the fender liner is touching the tire.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:43 PM
Alexchrisro
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From what i know, the simplest way to diagnose the air suspension is by checking the nitrogen level in the system. You can do this with a launch xpro or Autel. VCDS does not work well on the cayenne.
Sometimes my car behaves the same as yours.
PS: Sa o stapanesti sanatos
Old 09-19-2020, 01:28 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

The simplest way to diagnose your air suspsneion system is to park the car, deactivate the system, measure heights and let it sit overnight. The next morning come out and measure heights. If they changed, you have a leak.

To turn off the system: Hold the suspension height button up for 15 seconds. The dash will read, "Control Off". To reactivate it, hold the button up for 15 seconds again or just get in and drive the car.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:17 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Good knowledge here - do you guys/gals know if I have it in the lowered section it stays in that section. I don’t really like adjusting everything all the time. I just installed the T Module but not sure if it controls ride height as well - doesn’t seem to? I have a 958.2 if it matters 2016.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:36 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Instead of starting a new thread, this seems like a suitable one to add to. I'm wondering when the leveling system is active? (14 GTS btw)

A) As soon as you open the door?
B) Key in position one?
C) Only when the engine is running?
D) All of the above?

I do know the height can only be adjusted when the motor is running but I'm not sure about the leveling system? I noticed my front passenger is 0.25" lower than the front driver; if it's a leak, I would imagine the compressor would turn on to try and level it out when I open the door but nothing happens, so maybe just a calibration issue?

I will try the "leave it overnight in jack mode" as well to rule out leaks.

Old 12-19-2023, 02:38 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
Good knowledge here - do you guys/gals know if I have it in the lowered section it stays in that section. I don’t really like adjusting everything all the time. I just installed the T Module but not sure if it controls ride height as well - doesn’t seem to? I have a 958.2 if it matters 2016.
The vehicle should stay in the same position you left it in. It will raise out of the loading height over 3mph.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:44 AM
carlos85
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When you say it is in the low position when you come back to the car does this mean that the low light is lit on the height selector near the gearshift? If that is the case then I would suggest it is comfort entry related as the car has knowingly changed to a different ride height.. If the car has just lowered but it is still selected to normal on the centre console then I would say that it is a leak. My cayenne S diesel on air just stays at the same height unless requested to go to a different one.

Quick Reply: How the Air Suspension works