Sponsored By:

Tips or Tricks to Bleeding Brakes after Caliper Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 02:36 AM
X-TNSIV
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tips or Tricks to Bleeding Brakes after Caliper Replacement

I recently sent my calipers out to get painted and just reinstalled them.

during installation, I lost a decent amount of brake fluid from the lines since I had difficulty lining up the lines with the calipers, but my master cylinder never drained down, so I'm guessing air traveled backwards up into the system.

I have a motive pressure bleeder and didn't think it would be a big issue, but ran 2 liters of fluid through my calipers and still getting air bubbles in the right rear caliper (inner bleeder only). It seems like a small constant flow of air bubbles and I can't figure out what is the best procedure to get it out.

And do I need to pump the brakes to help move the air bubbles to the calipers even if I have a pressure bleeder?

can the bubbles be getting introduced from the threads on the bleeder nipple? seems strange that it's really only on that one nipple.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by X-TNSIV; 07-22-2020 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:42 PM
X-TNSIV
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just in case anyone in the future might have a similar issue, the problem was resolved.

I pinched the lines, removed the bleeder valves, cleaned them with brake cleaner and a small steel brush. Added die-electric grease to the threads and reinstalled. Several of the brake bleeder valves leaked air through the threads while using a pressure bleeder like the motive.
The following 3 users liked this post by X-TNSIV:
BenCD (07-23-2020), Hawkpilot6060 (07-24-2020), ohmyggg (08-06-2021)
Old 07-24-2020, 01:47 AM
SteveLyons
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Your initial post made no sense as to why, especially since you were using a motive brake bleeder.

When it doesn’t make sense go back to basics, and that is what you did to resolve the issue!

Great post and noted for when I tackle putting on ECStuning SS brake lines next year.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:26 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Btw. One trick is to use a rod to press brake pedal a few inches and brace it there while opening brake system. Fluid won’t flow feeely when you open a line up.
remove the rod when you bleed the lines.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:08 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Air didn't travel up the lines. You just didn't have a great seal with the hose to the bleeder.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:15 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

I always remove the bleeder and wrap it wth a wee bit of teflon tape.

If you're getting micro air bubbles, it'salmost always air entering through the threads. You can normally just ignore those micro bubbles as they aren't introducing air into your system. However you Porsche owners wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:08 AM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi all,

very helpful thread, thank you!

I’ll be doing this this weekend after replacing my brake fluid reservoir (rats chewed through my existing one!)

for what I’m doing, Pelican says I need to do this step:

‘You are going to have to completely bleed your brake system including activating the ABS pump with your scan tool to complete this job.’

my question is, at what point in the process do I do that? I appreciate any details.

thanks so much for any advice.

christina

Quick Reply: Tips or Tricks to Bleeding Brakes after Caliper Replacement