2013 CD and Battery dilema

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 12:08 PM
991howl
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 CD and Battery dilema

Greetings

The other day, went to start our 2013 CD and realized the battery is dead and key got stuck. Tried to jump start, no luck but was able to retrieve the key.
Measured the battery output with voltmeter, it was 1.45V. Put it on a trickle charger. For the first few hours, it seems to charge it (steady red LED) to 2.5V. But in the AM, back to to 1.45V with the battery tender/charger flashing red LED. I suspect, a really really dead battery?
PS: The Deltran Battery Tender plus/trickle charger works. Tested it on a Porsche cousin, John Deere tractor battery.

Some context:
- Original owner. It's almost 7+ years since we had the car. With in the first 1+ to 2 years, the original battery was replaced under warranty. So, the current battery is approx 5+years old.
- For the last 3 months, with the COVID situation, the car wasn't driven often, except twice a month for grocery runs (<20 miles)
- Shame on me, haven't leveraged trickle charger while being practically garaged.

Now, time to pick the Community brain:

- Is the car battery really dead or some other electrical gremlins? (since I wasn't able to jump start with external battery)
- would a dying or dead battery not charge at all? There were no issues/indicators leading up to this dead battery situation. The red flashing LED on battery tender/charger means "battery not connected properly"

- If time to replace the battery, the question is which and what kind. searched the forum, seems to be couple of options but want to be 100% sure before I trek to Costco or some other place. planning to DIY.
- For 2013 CD, folks seems to have replaced it with https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...tery-size.html
(1) AGM Interstate MTX49 / H8
(2) H8 AGM from Autozone (Platinum)

But searching the AutoZone/AAP site, the fitment for the 2013 CD is H7 and not H8. H8 is a tad larger in physical size compared to H7 and more amps.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ar%20batteries
https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...8_322025_25697

- I don't plan on registering/coding the battery after replacement. Merits and de-merits? Any long term issues?
There is some discussion in DIY section.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...nt-access.html

TIA
Old 05-25-2020, 02:31 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

5 years is a long time for a battery, so it's likely lived it's full life and needs to be replaced. Sounds like it's gone bad since it won't accept a change.

For the choice, that's up to you... You've obviously done the reading, so maybe something from those discussions will help you make a decision.

As for registering, I think you are fine without - never heard of any issues that could be attributed to a battery that wasn't registered correctly.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:32 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The response above is right on target. Costco has Interstate batteries and PepBoys have Bosch AGM. I prefer the Bosch AGM with its excellent warranty. Use a trickle charger and you won't get any unpleasant surprises. I left the key in my Carrera GTS overnight and completely discharged my 2 year old Bosch AGM. I took it to PepBoys where they didn't even check it. They just passed me a new one. I believe that an H7 or H8 will fit the battery case in your Cayenne. I would recommend the H8 size. Check installation videos on YouTube. With the proper tools, you can replace the battery in about 20-30 minutes.
The following 2 users liked this post by lurchphil:
BenCD (05-27-2020), dollarlongnecks (05-27-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I put an az platinum h8 agm in mine. It’s fine. Replaced it a year ago at 6 years.

the autozone battery i took out in was identical case and marking to that i removed.
The following users liked this post:
BenCD (05-27-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 03:05 AM
991howl
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

QUICK UPDATE:
- Went with the Costco Interstate Battery MTX-94R H7. Same size and rating as the original battery. Debated about H8, but decided otherwise.
- This battery requires venting like the factory installed or OEM battery. Re-used the seal from old/dead battery on "+" side and re-inserted the tube on the "-" side.
- Only pain, putting back the ventilated black plastic battery compartment cover. I struggled for a while and I resolved it by resorting to violence (my apologies Mahatma Gandhi)

-After the swap, I do have issues with passenger side seat (memory setting and lumbar support buttons). More details here,
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16666006
-Any ideas on the above issue pls?

TIA

Quick Reply: 2013 CD and Battery dilema