Sponsored By:

Yay or nay and corona virus boredom project

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 01:17 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Replacing wheel bolts with studs has been popular for years with many track cars such as the 996 / 997 / 987 / 981. Unfortunately there have been numerous reports of stud failures on these track cars. While the failures appear to be fatique there is no widely accepted solution to the problem beyond ensuring to torque to 115 ft-lbs, frequently inspect the stud (especially at the base ) and replacing the studs periodically. Unless I'm misinformed the German manufacturer of the studs Porsche used to install in their sports cars no longer supplies studs. Those studs were excellent. The best alternative studs that I'm aware of are made in the US by MSI. I have been using the MSI studs on my 996GT3 track car for four years with no problems; I changed them out after three years as a precaution. I switched to studs after one of factory wheel bolts fractured while torquing it cold. MSI also makes nuts that comply with the Porsche wheel profile.

https://www.msirp.com/wheel-studs-index#porsche

Old 04-13-2020, 03:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

MSI is a great choice, but the prestige units I've used are used on my track car, as well as those of my racing team, and local shops with great success, so I went with them.

I've also successfully used rennline

Quick Reply: Yay or nay and corona virus boredom project