Sponsored By:

If you're looking for a Diesel...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 01:21 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree, all used cars have 'issues', it would be easy to talk yourself out of ever buying one if you believed they were all going to happen to you. Not saying they aren't, but clearly many of us are enjoying our used Cayenne's for pennies on the dollar.

Reminds me of a funny conversation with a friend with a JK Jeep. Sent him a link to a 2013 Jeep and he said "The 3.6 Pentastar motor has head gasket issues and the oil coolers leak". Two weeks later I sent him a link to a 2008 JK and he said "The 3.8 motors are junk, don't go there."

Those are the only two motors available on the JK Jeeps (at least in the State), and yet there are 100's of thousands of them happily running around out there both on the street and on the trail. Just have to do your homework, be prepared for a repair or two and then just enjoy 'em, whether it's a used Porsche or a used Jeep.
The following 2 users liked this post by gregeast:
Eskimo1 (04-06-2020), Leadfoot_mf (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 10:36 AM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
I agree, all used cars have 'issues', it would be easy to talk yourself out of ever buying one if you believed they were all going to happen to you. Not saying they aren't, but clearly many of us are enjoying our used Cayenne's for pennies on the dollar.

Reminds me of a funny conversation with a friend with a JK Jeep. Sent him a link to a 2013 Jeep and he said "The 3.6 Pentastar motor has head gasket issues and the oil coolers leak". Two weeks later I sent him a link to a 2008 JK and he said "The 3.8 motors are junk, don't go there."

Those are the only two motors available on the JK Jeeps (at least in the State), and yet there are 100's of thousands of them happily running around out there both on the street and on the trail. Just have to do your homework, be prepared for a repair or two and then just enjoy 'em, whether it's a used Porsche or a used Jeep.
I completely disagree about used cars. You have to make a good decision and buy a reliable brand/model, or else you're throwing money away. I guess I agree that "all used cars have problems" but the levels of repair are far different. Some brands are simply better suited than others. The entire Fiat (Jeep) fleet is routinely at the bottom of Consumer Reports on reliability and repair costs. Toyota on the other hand is routinely near the top and has 4runners and tacomas running around out there with 300k+ miles. If you are concerned with repair bills, 4runners and Grand Cherokees are simply not made equal.

Cayennes in general may rack up more repair bills than a 4runner. But most diesel owners on here were attracted by the extended warranty. You can pay $30k for an originally $85k+ vehicle, and all the big ticket items are covered for a few years (and all the emissions beyond that).
Old 04-06-2020, 10:44 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I thought that Premium Pack Plus included back seat air controls.
PP+ included the front cooled seats and front & rear heated, maybe that's the confusion?
Old 05-13-2020, 03:10 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

If the air suspension develops problems what’s the typical cost to fix?
Old 05-13-2020, 05:31 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin
If the air suspension develops problems what’s the typical cost to fix?
I am not seeing many people on 958 reporting air suspension problems. There are few but not alot. Cost of repair depends on what went wrong. It can be a leaky airbag or compressor or something else that some of whom reported a problem couldn’t find out what the issue was.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:54 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

at first I thought this was the 18-way seats but its the 14-way

& I have never seen this color combo ...
white exterior with
Leather Interior in Black/Saddle Brown
on a diesel ... interesting... I like it

I also have never seen rear vented seats (4 way climate control) on a diesel
I am sure anything is possible but I'm sure that was be a spec order
it does have the heated rear seats

this is a nice CD with some nice options, it shouldn't last long

what was in the 2015
Infotainment Package w/ HD Radio ? was it Bose + sat radio?

Old 05-13-2020, 01:18 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Why do people view tow package as a plus? I was looking for one without tow package. If that suv towed something heavy for those 70k miles, that entire drivetrain sure took a beating
Old 05-13-2020, 01:45 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Originally Posted by Sudar
Why do people view tow package as a plus? I was looking for one without tow package. If that suv towed something heavy for those 70k miles, that entire drivetrain sure took a beating
some people want to tow things (me - sometimes)
some people want to use the tow hitch to put a bike rack on the back of their Cayenne (i.e. the former owner of my CD)
so did my drivetrain take a beating? umm... no

maintenance records & have some idea of the former ownership / history of your ride is important
Old 05-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
some people want to tow things (me - sometimes)
some people want to use the tow hitch to put a bike rack on the back of their Cayenne (i.e. the former owner of my CD)
so did my drivetrain take a beating? umm... no

maintenance records & have some idea of the former ownership / history of your ride is important
When buying used you dont know what was towed, a toddlers tricycle or a huge boat. If you want bike rack, you can always add that later
Especially with CD. Most buy it to cruise on highways with 30mpg or to tow because that's what it's good at
Old 05-13-2020, 03:30 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

When buying used you dont know what was towed, a toddlers tricycle or a huge boat. If you want bike rack, you can always add that later
Especially with CD. Most buy it to cruise on highways with 30mpg or to tow because that's what it's good at
maybe that is true
but sometimes you do know what was towed or how your ride was used
some owners keep nice records of every thing they do & some former owners happen to be a neighbor down the street

i was lucky & found a CD garage queen who drove back/forth between SD & LA & Vegas
my CD did not come with a tow package from the factory but the Porsche dealership installed it for the previous owner so she could take her bicycle to her friends house (the CD has no roof rack)

i only wish the CD installed a nose guard at birth but I had my front bumper professionally repainted at a certified Porsche shop
https://www.porschecollisioncenter.com/
now my CD is nice & pretty again

Old 05-14-2020, 05:36 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

what do you mean by entire drivetrain took a beating? Do you really think a car with 70k miles was towing the entire 70k miles? Lol

People usually tow but not all the time. if cars would fail because it was towing nobody would tow using their cars not even if it was a Toyota.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:34 PM
carsandcapp
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

My '15 CD I just purchased has the factory tow package. Both myself and my BIL came to the conclusion it had likely never towed anything. The receiver was spotless and the safety chain loops were the same. Moral of the story: a tow package doesn't necessarily mean it tows all the time, or ever.

Now a SNOW PLOW is a different story. I'd never buy a Cayenne with snow plow on it.
The following users liked this post:
Leadfoot_mf (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 08:51 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 270 Posts

I specifically looked for tow package. Mine had never towed a thing. As the 7plug pin wasn't installed and the receiver was mint. I hate the look of the aftermarket kits and the retro fit was too much for the end result....

Cw
Old 05-15-2020, 12:15 AM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-997
what do you mean by entire drivetrain took a beating? Do you really think a car with 70k miles was towing the entire 70k miles? Lol

People usually tow but not all the time. if cars would fail because it was towing nobody would tow using their cars not even if it was a Toyota.
You never know how often people tow. I mean of course its not 70k miles but in general towing is not exactly a walk in a park for any car. Its the same as highway miles vs city. I would much rather have a car with 100k miles all highway then 50k driven entirely in city stop and go traffic.
I think even maintenance is different for cars that tow. Not sure if thats so with Cayenne.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:21 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

The Cayenne diesel has some very unique factors that make it special IMO.

- I have experienced 34mpg on the highway.

- It has perhaps the longest range of any SUV. I regularly see over 700 miles between fill ups.

- It is still a spirited performance vehicle with outstanding handling characteristics as you'd expect from a Porsche.

- It has a great tow capacity (7,700#s) to easily tow a Porsche sports car to the track in comfort without stressing the engine, transmission, or non-air ride suspension.

- Since it is over 6,000#s GVW, it benefits from preferred tax status when used for business - 100% bonus write-off first year.

- Most late model versions have drive train warranties that extend into 2022 and beyond due to emissions settlement. Some like mine even have bumper to bumper full unlimited mile CPO until 2023.

And, for all these benefits, they do have some service issues - its a VW designed and built engine wedged into a Porsche mobile.

- some leaks require the engine to be removed from the vehicle to complete the repair.

- the design of the after-cooler is such that it shortens the life of the oil, requiring oil changes at 5k intervals.

- it has cost Porsche so much in warranty claims and settlements, that they will NEVER sell another diesel product again for as long as they live.

Summarized; it is a unique vehicle with unique performance capabilities, clean diesel, and most owners benefit from its publicized emissions issues with extended factory support.

The following 3 users liked this post by matttheboatman:
carsandcapp (05-15-2020), Eskimo1 (05-18-2020), Sudar (05-15-2020)

Quick Reply: If you're looking for a Diesel...