Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New brake pad question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

People swap different pads on the same rotor for track work with no issues all the time. No rotor is turned.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:40 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts

Quick update for anyone who is super bored at home and will read just about anything 😜

My indy shop had me bring my Cayenne in to recheck my brakes - they found that my rotors were worn enough that they needed to be replaced, and they warranteed the pads so I would have brand new everything. They replaced everything with OEM and waived all labor charges to make it right. Brakes are perfect now - not surprised I needed rotors at 93k miles. They didn’t originally see any grooves or lip and hoped I wouldn’t need rotors but alas I did. They also told me they don’t turn rotors for Porsches anymore - if they are too worn they get replaced. Whatever - I’m happy with their service as I always am with both my cars that they handle for me.
The following users liked this post:
Leadfoot_mf (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:37 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Quick update for anyone who is super bored at home and will read just about anything 😜

My indy shop had me bring my Cayenne in to recheck my brakes - they found that my rotors were worn enough that they needed to be replaced, and they warranteed the pads so I would have brand new everything. They replaced everything with OEM and waived all labor charges to make it right. Brakes are perfect now - not surprised I needed rotors at 93k miles. They didn’t originally see any grooves or lip and hoped I wouldn’t need rotors but alas I did. They also told me they don’t turn rotors for Porsches anymore - if they are too worn they get replaced. Whatever - I’m happy with their service as I always am with both my cars that they handle for me.
Sounds like an honest outfit and a good outcome. They made it right.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:05 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane

93K on the first set of rotors is impressive. I've been amazed at the (lack of) rotor wear on my 2014 CTTS. At 51K miles, the front rotors measure just over 37mm (for reference, new are 38mm thickness; replacement noted on rotor at 36mm thickness).

Seems like turning rotors is a lost art these days with most manufacturers going to smaller wear tolerances. I get it from a business POV: turning rotors takes labor that could probably be used better doing other higher charging tasks and for the supplier it means more rotors being used. The old man in me can't help but gripe about it tho....

I know Porsche doesn't recommend any grease/lubricant on the pads when replacing brakes but, out of habit, I always use some on the retaining posts and where the springs contact the (new) pads. I'm not too OCD about cleaning up inside the caliper but do use a wire brush and brake cleaner.
Leadfoot_mf (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 12:02 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have gotten in the habit of replacing rotors with pads on relatively newish cars. I mean the only place I've seen turn rotors in forever is Pep Boys. My car had pads replaced without rotors when I bought it and it was obvious just at first glance. As soon as the pads wore down I did the whole set in front. The instructions with the kit from FCP said NOT to use and brake squeal, so I just cleaned her up really well and went dry. No issues at all.
Etp095 (04-27-2020)

Quick Reply: New brake pad question