Sponsored By:

Built Rear Diff Option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 11:24 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
Question Built Rear Diff Option?

So this is more of a general inquiry and not necessarily something I have to address right now, but after reading up on these cars it seems that the rear diff and the transfer case tend to be the only "weak" points on mostly the whole car.

As far as I can tell the transfer case is just a longevity thing. You can change the fluid regularly but after x amount of miles it'll probably fail. It is what it is and I can't imagine theres an "upgrade" for our transfer case so I'll just have to deal with it when the time comes.

The rear diff seems to be a bit similar of a situation, where its predominantly higher mileage cars that have rear diff failure, but coming from the VW/Audi tuner world I know there tends to be differential upgrade options for a lot of cars so I figured it may be an option for these.

Ultimately I was really just wondering if there is an upgraded and/or more robust option for rear differential. It seems the rear diff failure tends to be around the 100k mile mark or higher so its not the end of the world if I'm swapping them once every 8 years or something, but I read that towing can expedite the failure of the diff to to increased load, and if I'm towing regularly I certainly don't want to be changing it every other year.

Sidenote: Have a Turbo S with PTV, not sure if that affects my options but I figured it was worth the mention.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:30 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Nothing at all?

Quick Reply: Built Rear Diff Option?