Sponsored By:

Cayenne's off-road - Joey Seely build

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 05:36 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure that's true in the snow, is it? Generally speaking I think narrower is better for snow traction, more pounds per square inch.

I actually think that's part of why the Cayenne did better than the Touareg on that first obstacle, I believe the Falkens are 255's and I 'think' the KO2s are 285's.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:53 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
Not sure that's true in the snow, is it? Generally speaking I think narrower is better for snow traction, more pounds per square inch.

I actually think that's part of why the Cayenne did better than the Touareg on that first obstacle, I believe the Falkens are 255's and I 'think' the KO2s are 285's.
AFAIK, the shallower snow the better for thinner tires. Deeper snow and the more you want wider tires, aired down to float more on top of the snow. I honestly haven't played with enough tire widths in snow, nor pressures, to know what's best for me.

The snow they were in and tracks they were on wasn't incredibly deep where you really wanted ultra-low tire pressures (like 5psi) to really float over deep snow, but from the wheelspin(ie tires on the more packed snow) I saw on the first obstacle, I think reducing pressures 5psi to start may have helped gain a bit more grip in those situations. Wouldn't have known until they tried, but that's why having a compressor in such instances is handy as if airing down doesn't work, and you air down further and still no improvement, you can always air back up.

I equated the 958's success over the Treg in obstacle1 as having the more sophisticated traction control being a big factor. We also don't know the tire pressures on each rig, maybe the Cayenne was lower to begin with? Would be interesting to know.

Otis, what was your Hakkapelitta experience on the Alcan recently, and what pressures were you running in specific situations?
Old 03-30-2020, 06:05 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Agreed on the traction control, the VW lost all it's momentum while the TC tried to figure things out, the 958 just drove right through.

They failed to mention it in the video, but PDCC's ability to disconnect the sway bars in off-road mode didn't hurt anything from an articulation/traction perspective. Well, that and the orange stickers :-)
Old 03-30-2020, 06:19 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by gregeast
Agreed on the traction control, the VW lost all it's momentum while the TC tried to figure things out, the 958 just drove right through.

They failed to mention it in the video, but PDCC's ability to disconnect the sway bars in off-road mode didn't hurt anything from an articulation/traction perspective. Well, that and the orange stickers :-)
Yep!

PDCC disconnecting sways in offroad mode, this is news to me for the 958. Maybe I missed it in previous discussions here? Nothing mentioned here via quick Google search; https://www.porsche.com/middle-east/...-control-pdcc/
I did more searching and found this info below...and I quoted Garrett as this discussion about 955/957/958 disconnecting sways was mentioned previously;

Originally Posted by garrett376
They effectively "disconnect" because at low speeds, in off-road mode, there is no pressure to provide hydraulic resistance between the right and left sides, effectively "disconnecting" them, or removing the left/right influence of the sway bar for the travel of the suspension. It works the same way in all Cayennes from 2008+: the 957 and 958 use hydraulic drive while the Gen3 Cayenne is electric. The 955 sway bar disconnects with the off-road tech package only act to disconnect via hydraulic rams and have no on-road "stiffening effect" like PDCC, which helps on and off-road performance.

The 2010 957 Transsyberia model seems it was more often spec'd without PDCC and without the rear locking differential. I've seen 4 myself (I know, not that many!) and none had PDCC, and none had the rear diff locker!
https://presskit.porsche.de/specials...rung-pdcc.html
"In contrast, the PDCC in the Cayenne is based on hydraulic actuators. Depending on the steering and level of lateral acceleration, the hydraulic pivot motors on the active front and rear axle anti-roll bars build up forces that counter the lateral inclination of the vehicle. The PDCC off-road mode can be activated by pressing the rocker switch in the centre console. On uneven surfaces, the anti-roll bar halves are disengaged, allowing them to turn more easily to provide improved traction and greater axle articulation. The wheels remain on the ground for a longer period of time, which means that they can transfer a greater degree of force."

Thx much for the info Greg, you're right about it helping articulation on the Cayenne!
Old 03-31-2020, 12:40 PM
brandonecpt
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm pretty sure Joey is just using the RIGd UltraSwing.

rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-hitch-carrier-multi-fit

Oops, I see this has already been pointed out. Carry on.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:39 AM
brandonecpt
Rennlist Member

I've emailed with Joey about their bumpers, but he's been pretty clear about really needing to be local to get them fit and that they are really quite expensive.

Does anyone have any leads on getting something a bit more basic made? Seems no one makes anything stock. I'm in Portland, BTW, and I know we're never going to get them at prices like Tacoma owners pay, but I'd really like to at least get a front bumper guard installed.

View this post on Instagram

Anyone have any leads on getting something made?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:59 AM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by brandonecpt
I've emailed with Joey about their bumpers, but he's been pretty clear about really needing to be local to get them fit and that they are really quite expensive.

Does anyone have any leads on getting something a bit more basic made? Seems no one makes anything stock. I'm in Portland, BTW, and I know we're never going to get them at prices like Tacoma owners pay, but I'd really like to at least get a front bumper guard installed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9S8O5BFucv/

Hey Brandon,

Portland here as well. Contact Russ at Racetech, he's literally right next to our Downtown Portland location; https://www.matrixintegrated.cc/additional-links/
Racetech Motorsports (Portland); Russ; 503-839-8071; www.racetechmotorsports.com
Tell him I sent you over.

If he's not able to for whatever reason, J&L Fabricating up in Puyallup WA built Otis' front guard; https://jandlfabricating.com/
Old 04-03-2020, 12:14 PM
brandonecpt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeremy@matrix
Hey Brandon,

Portland here as well. Contact Russ at Racetech, he's literally right next to our Downtown Portland location; https://www.matrixintegrated.cc/additional-links/
Racetech Motorsports (Portland); Russ; 503-839-8071; www.racetechmotorsports.com
Tell him I sent you over.

If he's not able to for whatever reason, J&L Fabricating up in Puyallup WA built Otis' front guard; https://jandlfabricating.com/
Thanks @jeremy@matrix ! I spoke a couple of times with J&L via email and am ongoign, I'm assuming the craziness of COVID-19 has slowed their response times.

I'll certainly reach out to Russ as well, though.

Thank you!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:20 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Thanks @jeremy@matrix ! I spoke a couple of times with J&L via email and am ongoign, I'm assuming the craziness of COVID-19 has slowed their response times.

I'll certainly reach out to Russ as well, though.

Thank you!
Yeah, J&L is probably slow to respond due to WA covid epidemic.
Sounds good!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:38 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9S8O5BFucv/

I just noticed the snorkel, that's new. Anything seen anything about it? Custom built by E-Motion?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:31 PM
brandonecpt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeremy@matrix
I just noticed the snorkel, that's new. Anything seen anything about it? Custom built by E-Motion?
Saw that, too. Seems to have just appeared one day on their Insta, I don't see any posts or anything about it.
The following users liked this post:
jeremy@matrix (04-03-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 01:29 AM
brandonecpt
Rennlist Member

Anyone want to talk tires!? I see Joey is running a 265/65/18 on his Braid wheels. I'm also driving a 2014 Diesel and looking to go a bit bigger. How big can the Diesel go? I've read some people saying a 265/65/18 rubs, Joey doesn't mention it.

I'm adding some aftermarket wheels too, which will add some offset as well to buy some inner clearance.

Anyone else have first-hand experience with a 265/65/18? I also considered 255/65 and 265/60 to go a hair smaller. All are right at or under 31" tall...
Old 04-08-2020, 12:30 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Anyone want to talk tires!? I see Joey is running a 265/65/18 on his Braid wheels. I'm also driving a 2014 Diesel and looking to go a bit bigger. How big can the Diesel go? I've read some people saying a 265/65/18 rubs, Joey doesn't mention it.

I'm adding some aftermarket wheels too, which will add some offset as well to buy some inner clearance.

Anyone else have first-hand experience with a 265/65/18? I also considered 255/65 and 265/60 to go a hair smaller. All are right at or under 31" tall...
Info I recv'd from Joey;
-With 0.5" static lift on the front to level the rake, a 265/60/18.
-With 1.5" static or 2" coilover they use a 265/65/18 with no rubbing or mods.
-Last one they did they squeaked 255/70/18 with the slightest fenderliner rubbing when steering. A little caster adjustment would have fixed that.
-Diesel has intercoolers in same location as Turbo so keep this in mind for possible rubbing issues.
brandonecpt (04-08-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 12:47 AM
brandonecpt
Rennlist Member

Ordered up some 255/65/18 Toyo Open Country tires. Fingers crossed they fit but I think I'll be ok.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:18 AM
brandonecpt
Rennlist Member

Well, my wheels and tires were mounted right after the Forge lift kit was installed. I have some very minor rubbing without any caster adjustment. Haven't decided if I'll do the caster adjustment or if I'll trim. I like the way it handles on road, not sure i want to mess with that right now.

imhighlander (11-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Cayenne's off-road - Joey Seely build