Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Read out soot mass particle filter (Cayenne Diesel only) Workshop Manual 033500 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 02:17 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Question Read out soot mass particle filter (Cayenne Diesel only) Workshop Manual 033500 ?

Could someone provide more detail on this line item in maintenance

Electrics
Read out soot mass particle filter (Cayenne Diesel only) (See Workshop Manual 033500 “Diagnostic Maintenance: diagnostic system and maintenance interval”)

and/or provide (and/or how to acquire) the workshop manual mentioned?

Porsche Cayenne
Maintenance Checklist
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...e-schedule.pdf

I have this reader

Autel AP200(HT200) Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner, Code Reader
Amazon Amazon

which has the service functions that work to reset oil changes reminders, maintenance etc.
but can someone explain this "Read out soot mass particle filter" in more detail?
Old 01-13-2020, 04:21 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts

I was able to read this value with my x431 Pro Mini, but I can't speak on other devices.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:55 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
I was able to read this value with my x431 Pro Mini, but I can't speak on other devices.
what are you reading?
Old 01-13-2020, 05:14 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Old 01-14-2020, 12:41 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

found it under
G_DIESEL > Live data > DME

that said, a few of my values seem significantly different than yours.
is there a certain process to follow during this read out to reach a baseline?
for example, run engine for 5 mintues before recording the read out of the soot mast particle filter data?
& I still not sure what I am reading? who can translate if these are acceptable values or is there a manual ?

(NOTE: I have not clicked the "i" or the wrench icons yet did the read out, maybe we have more info there, at least in my application)

Old 01-14-2020, 10:24 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure it's the K100 (soot load) value.. From my understanding, the K111, K112, and K113 are limit values, possibly triggering a regen once the values are reached. It looks like you had a regen about 11 hours ago, so it appears to be trying to regenerate when the car gets up to an acceptable temp. You might want to take it out on a long drive to get it up to temp and let it regen and then take another reading to see if anything changes. If it gets too full you have to have it serviced, and they will flush it out.

I had my particulate filter replaced a few thousand miles ago under warranty after it threw some codes, so that is probably the reason for the large difference in values.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:45 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

I'm pretty sure it's the K100 (soot load) value.. From my understanding, the K111, K112, and K113 are limit values, possibly triggering a regen once the values are reached. It looks like you had a regen about 11 hours ago, so it appears to be trying to regenerate when the car gets up to an acceptable temp. You might want to take it out on a long drive to get it up to temp and let it regen and then take another reading to see if anything changes. If it gets too full you have to have it serviced, and they will flush it out.

I had my particulate filter replaced a few thousand miles ago under warranty after it threw some codes, so that is probably the reason for the large difference in values.
thanks. I will doing a longer drive and get a new read out

does you know what is an unacceptable value for a K100 (soot load) ?
& if the clean out &/or replacement covered under the post CPO Cayenne Diesel warranty?

Old 01-15-2020, 05:38 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

I was judging the acceptability of the values based on what was stored in the system under "load limit" 1-3... Mine are slightly different from yours, so those values may be generated over time by the vehicle. Since my filter is fairly new, I expected a lower number, and it appears to be lower than all 3 "limits" so I figure I'm in good shape. I haven't checked, but I'm guessing it kicks-off a regeneration once the limit values are reached.

Have you done a long drive and rechecked the soot load value on yours yet?
Old 01-16-2020, 01:12 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

did a good drive, readout seem lower
I plan on going for a longer drive (San Diego to Los Angeles on Friday)
I can give it another reading
still not sure what I am looking at is acceptable or something that should be concerning?
at what point do you need a clean out? & a clean out of what? (can only a dealer / indy do it?)

K100 = 23.19 g ?

Old 01-16-2020, 01:40 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Nice! It looks like that drive made a difference, and you saw a decrease of about 25% from the previous measurement (30.99 to 23.19)... I have not done any real testing to see how this system is supposed to behave on a regular, day-to-day basis, but I would say that's a good sign that your system is working like it's supposed to.

I think it's the shorter drives where the system doesn't get to a proper temp that are problematic, and cause a build-up. The drives where you are up to temp gives the vehicle some options to burn-off some of the excess if needed. You might even notice the temp gauges getting slightly higher than normal, and maybe even a burning smell, when the particulate filter goes into regeneration. I know I've noticed it before on mine.

I wouldn't worry about a clean-out or service unless the car gives you a check engine light that looks like a spring on its side - It's possible that may light during a re-gen, then go back out, but if you get one that stays-on, then there is an issue, or it needs service... I looked at my filter the last time I was under the vehicle, and in terms of serviceable items, there is just a pair of rubber hoses that attach at the top. Looking online, the clean-out kit appears to be a pressurized bottle and you have to spray some sort of solution into one of those hoses, and maybe collect the stuff that comes out of the other... It doesn't look like anything I would want to tackle, and considering the emissions stuff on these diesels are going to be covered under warranty for upwards of 10 years from now, I'm just going to leave it alone, and let the dealership handle any issues.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:46 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Nice! It looks like that drive made a difference, and you saw a decrease of about 25% from the previous measurement (30.99 to 23.19)... I have not done any real testing to see how this system is supposed to behave on a regular, day-to-day basis, but I would say that's a good sign that your system is working like it's supposed to.

I think it's the shorter drives where the system doesn't get to a proper temp that are problematic, and cause a build-up. The drives where you are up to temp gives the vehicle some options to burn-off some of the excess if needed. You might even notice the temp gauges getting slightly higher than normal, and maybe even a burning smell, when the particulate filter goes into regeneration. I know I've noticed it before on mine.

I wouldn't worry about a clean-out or service unless the car gives you a check engine light that looks like a spring on its side - It's possible that may light during a re-gen, then go back out, but if you get one that stays-on, then there is an issue, or it needs service... I looked at my filter the last time I was under the vehicle, and in terms of serviceable items, there is just a pair of rubber hoses that attach at the top. Looking online, the clean-out kit appears to be a pressurized bottle and you have to spray some sort of solution into one of those hoses, and maybe collect the stuff that comes out of the other... It doesn't look like anything I would want to tackle, and considering the emissions stuff on these diesels are going to be covered under warranty for upwards of 10 years from now, I'm just going to leave it alone, and let the dealership handle any issues.
agreed. I will let the dealership handle any issues here
that said, I am working down the official maintenance checklist
documenting every step of my process & if I do not understand anything, I am going to ask questions (& get a pro if necessary)

my dealership wanted $950 + CA tax for this service
so far I have done everything for around $200 (with all Porsche parts, so that could have been less)
I did spend a few hundred on some new tools, jack, pan, lube, etc but that is different.

I will would like to eventually find a copy of this "Workshop Manual 033500"

Old 01-16-2020, 03:59 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
agreed. I will let the dealership handle any issues here
that said, I am working down the official maintenance checklist
documenting every step of my process & if I do not understand anything, I am going to ask questions (& get a pro if necessary)

my dealership wanted $950 + CA tax for this service
so far I have done everything for around $200 (with all Porsche parts, so that could have been less)
I did spend a few hundred on some new tools, jack, pan, lube, etc but that is different.

I will would like to eventually find a copy of this "Workshop Manual 033500"
You should be able to get the manual from RockAuto, it comes on a CD/DVD for like $25..
Edit: Less actually: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...04586&jsn=2145

Quick Reply: Read out soot mass particle filter (Cayenne Diesel only) Workshop Manual 033500 ?