Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2017-2018 Cayenne S e-hybrid owners - what’s your overall review?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 05:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks guys. I also heard the trunk is smaller due to battery pack. Is that so? Do you just lose the storage under the floor mat?
Old 02-14-2020, 05:06 PM
Tom Servo
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That’s correct. Just the storage under the floor.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:06 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks, anyone has managed to change the UGLY caliper color to something else? or one must swap them out? I absolutely HATE THEM! They now let you change the color on the 2020 models, but on 958 they all come with the green calipers!
Old 02-19-2020, 11:30 PM
Greg Hines
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can have the calipers painted. their just calipers. take off the wheels and grab some spray paint and get to work.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:52 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

I guess it depends on the color and personal preference, but I think the acid green looks awesome on my white SEH. I got rid of the rest of the green emblems though, so it isn't overdone.
The following 2 users liked this post by dewilmoth:
alexb76 (02-20-2020), Onesunnybeach (05-31-2024)
Old 02-20-2020, 09:57 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts

I love the acid green calipers
The following 4 users liked this post by mafpolo:
Bassman37 (02-20-2020), Leadfoot_mf (06-11-2020), Onesunnybeach (05-31-2024), Tom Servo (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 07:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I love the acid green calipers
I think it works on some colors, and not on others. Yesterday test drove a Silver and it looked fine with Acid Green, and might keep em, but on some other colors it's horrific.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Test drove a 2017 yesterday. Was quite impressed, the transition between power trains was quite seemless, but brake feel wasn't great, AND on a full charge it shows a 15Km Electric range?! How's that determined? Based on previous trips of the same?

Also, while I started in E-power, I gunned it, and it switched to gas engine, and it did NOT go back to full electric for another few mins, even after I was 100% driving with 20% throttle and at below speed limits. How's the determined? Does it basically hold you in full power for a period of time? I find that limiting, as if you went full throttle to pass someone, then wanna go back to full electric rest of your commute, it wouldn't switch back for sometime. Overall, the average consumption said 8.6L/100 km, which is 27mpg. Is that typical?
Old 06-10-2020, 07:56 PM
swiftygifty
5th Gear

Originally Posted by alexb76
Test drove a 2017 yesterday. Was quite impressed, the transition between power trains was quite seemless, but brake feel wasn't great, AND on a full charge it shows a 15Km Electric range?! How's that determined? Based on previous trips of the same?

Also, while I started in E-power, I gunned it, and it switched to gas engine, and it did NOT go back to full electric for another few mins, even after I was 100% driving with 20% throttle and at below speed limits. How's the determined? Does it basically hold you in full power for a period of time? I find that limiting, as if you went full throttle to pass someone, then wanna go back to full electric rest of your commute, it wouldn't switch back for sometime. Overall, the average consumption said 8.6L/100 km, which is 27mpg. Is that typical?
Would be interested in knowing more about the above as well.

Considering a 2017 E-Hybrid and if someone can provide details on reliability as well as type of maintenance costs to expect, would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:24 PM
Joe Underwood
3rd Gear

Default E-hybrid engine start/stop

In the market for a Cayenne and the hybrid version is interesting specially since we are getting chargers in our bldg and our commute is short.

Commute is about 15-20km a day (back and forth) 10km city, 5km highway, 2km uphill. Would the electric range be enough for such commute? If not, what typical mpg are ppl getting? What’s the overall impression, pros and cons of the Hybrid versus the Cayenne S.

If we can’t get a significant mpg upgrade over S, and could at least e-power most of the daily commute, it doesn’t seem like a good option.

Any input or help is appreciated.

Thanks
I like mine but the biggest issue I have is with the auto engine start/stop. If I leave the vehicle to say, open a garage door or something the engine shuts off after a minute. So, imagine if it’s 100 outside, u have family in the car and when you jump out to run into the store the engine shuts off! There is no deactivate button like on the non-hybrids and switching to sport mode doesn’t help either. Does anyone on here know how one can idle the hybrid when they aren’t in drivers seat???
Old 06-25-2020, 01:07 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Underwood
I like mine but the biggest issue I have is with the auto engine start/stop. If I leave the vehicle to say, open a garage door or something the engine shuts off after a minute. So, imagine if it’s 100 outside, u have family in the car and when you jump out to run into the store the engine shuts off! There is no deactivate button like on the non-hybrids and switching to sport mode doesn’t help either. Does anyone on here know how one can idle the hybrid when they aren’t in drivers seat???
Don't think you can. It's slightly frustrating, but considering it's once in a blue moon for me I don't even think about it much. However, it's not like all the std. gas engines that have engine start/stop and every time they pull up to a light the engine has to restart and jolt you. With the hybrid it's smooth and instant power. I'd rather deal with the once in 20-30 trip inconvenience vs. having auto start/stop that every other gas engine has now where you have to deactivate at each start because it's annoying.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:28 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Originally Posted by swiftygifty
Would be interested in knowing more about the above as well.

Considering a 2017 E-Hybrid and if someone can provide details on reliability as well as type of maintenance costs to expect, would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
To give you a best guess at maintenance costs, I've been through 2 so far on my 2016 (I'm 2nd owner). It has just under 26k miles now.

1st one, only oil/filter. Roughly $400-$450 at the dealer

2nd most recent service. It needed the spark plugs changed (40k or 4 years), brake fluid and clutch adaption for hybrid (must have PIWIS to do this), and oil/filters. Also had the cruise stalk break off and Porsche wouldn't cover warranty saying my wife must have hit it too hard, so I supplied the part and they installed.

Found an indy that specializes in Porsche. They have any all equipt, and know what they're doing. Here's the rundown:
Oil Change/Filter/Plug/Gasket - $260.63
Brake Fluid and Clutch Adaption - $281.95
Spark Plugs - $366
Column switch pack (I found, that was a chore but got the right part as there are several different configs depending on what you have)... paid roughly $175 for the part, and $300 for the labor to install and reprogram anything that needed to be reprogrammed. They had to take off the steering wheel and remove the old multifunction switch, swap the clockspring, etc..

Cabin and Air filters - I bought Mann filters off Amazon (can't remember but they're not expensive). I installed those myself in a few minutes.
Broken cabin filter door because I watched the wrong video on Youtube and it had me pull from the wrong clip (rear vs. front)... so broke the plastic clip: $40ish at the VW dealer since the parts are interchangeable.

Tires/Wheels: I just bought tires off another guy who wanted 19s instead of his 21s. I needed new tires and had 19s. So for $1700ish shipped I got the Turbo II 21's and brand new Scorpion Zero's. I do need to swap the TPMS since I didn't realize they switched frequencies at some point in 2014-15 and he must have had a 958 using the old frequency. I got the new TPMS's for $150. Just need to get them installed... one place quoted me $50/wheel, so shopping around now. Any event, the new wheels are gorgeous with the huge acid green calipers.

Every other year you do the Brake Fluid / Clutch Adaption process. So next year I will be all in at <$300 I suppose since I don't have any other maintenance due.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:04 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 326 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Hines
you can have the calipers painted. their just calipers. take off the wheels and grab some spray paint and get to work.
Easier said than done. Those wheels are heavy. Heavy. Unless one has a hoist, don't even try it. Been there, done that.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 326 Likes on 267 Posts

In the market for a Cayenne and the hybrid version is interesting specially since we are getting chargers in our bldg and our commute is short.
Free chargers? No brainer. As mentioned elsewhere, expensive to maintain. But it is a Porsche. Expect colleagues to envy, wonder where you got the many etc.etc.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:32 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Easier said than done. Those wheels are heavy. Heavy. Unless one has a hoist, don't even try it. Been there, done that.
Just swapped to the 21s, take off and lift using your thighs. It’s not hard at all. Heavy, yes but that’s the trick to doing it.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (06-26-2020)

Quick Reply: 2017-2018 Cayenne S e-hybrid owners - what’s your overall review?