Sponsored By:

Another "Tesla" Style Screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 11:17 AM
IxxTapouTxxI
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3Series
Does anyone know how to reset/reboot the 10.4 screen running Android 9? Or know why my updates or install of new apps hangs at "Pending"?

After I installed the unit I got a little too zealous and started downloading multiple apps from the Playstore over a very weak wifi signal. I read this could cause issues with downloads.
I'm now just trying to install a Google Maps update, maybe 30mb and the system gets stuck on "Pending" and never progresses.
I have the unit set for updates over any process, Wifi, cellular and I've tried to update using my phone as a mobile hotspot. I can't get a strong WiFi signal to the car.
To reboot go to, settings->user settings->reboot
To do a reset, there's a reset hole on the bottom left of the unit. Use a paperclip to reset, be careful not to put the paperclip in the mic hole, it's right next to it.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:43 AM
SirLogan
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the 8.4" version android system as shown below. So far so good but a few minor issues.

1. How to change the temperature from C to F
2. I didn't see a way to plug in the oem navigation/gps cable.
3. Bootup time seems a bit long. What are the correct sleep settings so its quicker?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...38403e5f4tDWsF
The following users liked this post:
duffman04 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 05:50 PM
duffman04
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLogan
I just installed the 8.4" version android system as shown below. So far so good but a few minor issues.

3. Bootup time seems a bit long. What are the correct sleep settings so its quicker?

1. Mine that also is an 8.4 android 10 (but different UI) can not change to F unless you're using a different launcher that allows it. My gauge cluster is still F and so I just use that.
2. You need a GPS Fakra adapter in order to use the factory GPS cable. They're cheap on Amazon. I actually did this and found that the GPS sensor that came with my android unit was able to connect to more satellites and at a quicker refresh rate than using the original sensor. That was also just with the android unit sensor stuck under the dash, not even with a direct line of site to the sky.
3. Mine has a setting in the infotainment UI that has a "sleep" function. This is basically fast boot in my software. I found it by accident and the description for it does not make you think of fast boot, but that's exactly what it does.

I really liked the android unit you installed. I don't have any regrets with mine but I like the look of yours a lot. Having a physical volume and track **** was really the only reason I went with mine.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:41 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder if there is a way to adapt this to a 991.1. As best I can tell, the peripheral trim is different between the 991 and Cayenne, but the rest of it is basically the same.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:02 AM
Puszu1980
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I got second hand unit 10.4 with android 7.1
Is it possible to upgrade it to Android 9 or 10?

Thank You for feedback
Old 02-06-2022, 01:57 AM
Ruger59
4th Gear

Hi everyone,
I'm having a difficult install of a Tesla screen I bought off of Ali Express. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the sound to play which is more than frustrating. The unit I bought was a Sadocom Tesla screen this one to be exact. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...422c4c4d5RUevn The wiring directions provided have been more than useless for this install. The diagram was for a completely different unit plus the electrical plugs shown in the photos don't match at all. Shows three plugs however I only have one which feeds into the main harness. Now I did buy the optional fiber optic box since I own a 2012 with the Bose sound package https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...05001762014266 The box says Benz E and the photos on the website show three wires a B+ Acc and Gnd. The one I received is only B+ and Gnd. Now is that normal or did I get a defective unit? I wired the B+ to fuse 39 and grounded it to a screw near the fuse box on the metal crash support.Any help is welcomed at this point in time. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:42 AM
Silverbullet911
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Try the fader in equalizer. Mine was placed on the bottom rear when received. Place it in the middle.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:13 AM
Silverbullet911
Advanced

Disconnect the fibre optic cables from the converter and turn on unit. If there is a red blinking light, the converter is working. Android units typically comes with a blue converter for MB, BMW, Audi and Porsche with the B+, ACC and ground. If ACC is missing and the system will not turn on when the key is inserted only, but may still work.

Confirm that the audio RCA, red and white, outputs from the head unit are connected to the converter. Was the steering wheel control module purchased?
Old 02-06-2022, 04:22 AM
Silverbullet911
Advanced

Originally Posted by SirLogan

Load the Carwebguru from the Google Play Store. Pick a launcher template and adjust your Sleep to 1 day. The launcher will boot the system up instantly. Try without the launchers first.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:10 PM
Ruger59
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Silverbullet911
Disconnect the fibre optic cables from the converter and turn on unit. If there is a red blinking light, the converter is working. Android units typically comes with a blue converter for MB, BMW, Audi and Porsche with the B+, ACC and ground. If ACC is missing and the system will not turn on when the key is inserted only, but may still work.

Confirm that the audio RCA, red and white, outputs from the head unit are connected to the converter. Was the steering wheel control module purchased?
Thank you both for your suggestions. I’ve adjusted the fader to position the music to play in the center no luck with that. Than I proceeded to unplug the converter and watch for a blinking red light again nothing. So I’m starting to suspect it’s the converter which is bad. I didn’t order a steering wheel control module however the controls work just fine for adjusting track and volume. Almost everything works backup camera, door open symbol it’s just volume and the compass on the dash which aren’t working. This is the wiring mess I’m dealing with.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:08 PM
Silverbullet911
Advanced

This is the proper converter.

Optical Fiber Decoder Most Box for Car Stereo Radio for Mercedes Benz ML/GL/R Series and for Porsche 911/boxster/Cayenne Series
Amazon Amazon

Have you tapped to the B+ and ground on the new harness? May want to try that rather than fuse and ground method. The red light signal should be blinking every couple of seconds where one the fibre optic cables connects to the converter. If not, the box may be bad.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:21 PM
Ruger59
4th Gear

Smart idea, I wired the box directly to the supplied harness and installed the screen back into the vehicle. Yet no sound played so it’s safe to say the box is the main fault here.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:39 PM
Ruger59
4th Gear

Hello everyone,
I’d like to start off by thanking all those who’ve helped me recently as it’s been a huge help. I Recently purchased a Sadocom touch screen with wireless CarPlay and I’m here to provide my thoughts and review of the unit.

Delivery of the unit took about three weeks with processing and shipping. Once I received the product I immediately took note out the button feel which feels very high quality. One con I’d like to point out is the lack of directions provided by the manufacturer when it came to the install. There was quite a bit of guessing involved.

Next came time for the install. The seller provided some guidance but ultimately wasn’t helpful especially when one of the photos they provided was of a completely different unit. After quite a few guesses and browsing this topic I figured out the wiring.

Disaster the unit wouldn’t play sound after all time figuring out the wiring. And this is where I say again thank you for those who’ve helped me. The optical box that Sadocom sells as an addition with these radios do not work. So I had to spend an additional $100 on Amazon for one that does.

Success! With the new optical box bought off Amazon the sound played through the speakers oh what a happy moment for me after all this. So fitment of the unit isn’t exactly perfect I was only able to get three of the four screws. I haven’t been able to play with the unit to much since the install however I’ll keep everyone updated.

My final thoughts of the Sadocom radio. Was it worth the money? Absolutely, it not only provides a stock look but brings the whole infotainment up to the current standards. The fit and finish of the unit is high quality with an OEM feel. Now my major con I have is the wiring diagram provided and the optical box they promote not functioning. My hopes in this review is to educate and help others.

I do have a question for those who are more knowledgeable. My Cayenne came equipped with a compass and since the install it doesn’t work anymore. Any thoughts on how to fix that? Thank you so much.

Last edited by Ruger59; 02-11-2022 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:44 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you got it!
I've been reading this thread since day one. I've wanted one of these but I can't lose my XM.
Edit, yea I bet it's tied into the bus at the radio. I bet I'd lose the clock I added if I removed the PCM.

Last edited by TMC.; 02-12-2022 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:28 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

So what's the latest and greatest for those of us looking to order one of the 10.4" screens with Carplay?

Quick Reply: Another "Tesla" Style Screen