Sponsored By:

Cayenne Brake Caliper Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 11:32 PM
pngates
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cayenne Brake Caliper Powder Coating

For anyone who was wondering what it entails with labor and cost to have your Cayenne Base/Diesel Calipers cleaned and powder coated.

So, I decided to tackle this because I was sick of looking at my grungy Calipers that for some reason Porsche decided to neglect on the Base/Diesel models, and considering they are actually very nice Brembo 20Z calipers they deserve to look like it. Went with yellow like the factory PCCB kits. After powder coating, the calipers got new caliper seals, dust boots, genuine Brembo bleeders, and a brake fluid flush (ATE TYP200).

Okay so here's how it starts:
1. Remove Calipers

Removal is simple. Disconnect brake lines, 4 Caliper bolts on each axle (8 total). Remove pads. I have my sensors jumped out so I didn't have to worry about those.

Next step is to strip down the calipers. i.e. remove the pistons, dust boots, and seals. I left the bleeders in for powder coating because I planned on replacing them.

As you can see, they were pretty horrible looking.

All pistons, seals, hardware removed.

Important note: It doesn't matter which piston came from where when re-installing new seals/dust boots and pistons. They can go anywhere as long as front goes back in the front and rear to rear.
Bagged everything up and left pistons to soak in brake fluid after I cleaned all the dirt off them until they got reinstalled.

Sent them to Action Powder Coating on Long Island, NY which was easy for me considering I live here, he charged me $500 to powder coat all 4 and he cleaned, prepped, and had them done in ONE day. I brought them to him with the seals and hardware removed.

And here's the after powder coat:

Installed with new pads and rotors.

For the PORSCHE logos I found a seller on ebay who had them in all sizes for pretty cheap.

I applied them myself and then clear coated the calipers with Caliper Clear.

I waited until AFTER clear to change the bleeders, and add brake fluid so that the clear wouldn't get on the new bleeders and caps.

New Brembo Bleeders.

Below is the finished product....
I had them Ceramic Coated after, and for anyone who is unfamiliar with ceramic coat it's essentially a second, harder, clear coat in layman's terms. Dirt does not stick to it, so cleaning them is as easy and running a hose over them. Highly recommended.

Brakes bled (carefully), Everything reassembled and torqued appropriately per spec.

All said and done, cost was around $1000 with ceramic coat (not including pads and rotors)

Looks 1000% better IMO, and was only a few days out of commission. Building Porsche race cars for a few years probably made it a lot easier for me but with basic mechanical skills you can tackle this no problem.

The following users liked this post:
lacibaci (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 12:39 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Very nice. My CD had this done with the same yellow by the P.O. at the dealer I bought it from. My sales guy told me they charged $1700. I wasn’t crazy about them at first, but they’ve grown on me.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:47 AM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Nice job! Makes sense if you are going to keep your vehicle for a long time.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Brake Caliper Powder Coating