Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pros & Cons of Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 01:51 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 294 Posts

One bonus of the manual is the transfer case. I spoke to two different Porsche service managers and they said the transfer case on the manual is different and does not have the problems of the automatic version. Both called it "bullet-proof". I have not compared part numbers so I cant confirm that way but still good info to have. I'm in the process of getting a manual 958 myself. Just a personal preference to shift my own gears. I wouldn't mind a manual on the turbo but since it only comes on the base it is what it is!
Old 10-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderbret
One bonus of the manual is the transfer case. I spoke to two different Porsche service managers and they said the transfer case on the manual is different and does not have the problems of the automatic version. Both called it "bullet-proof". I have not compared part numbers so I cant confirm that way but still good info to have. I'm in the process of getting a manual 958 myself. Just a personal preference to shift my own gears. I wouldn't mind a manual on the turbo but since it only comes on the base it is what it is!
I doubt it's true. Porsche uses 2 transfer cases regardless if its manual or not. 1 doesn't have any issues and the other one fails constantly

Last edited by Sudar; 10-26-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,782 Posts

TURBO > Base Manual anyday and everyday. Archaic, 6 spped 3.5 dog of an engine manual will never even come close to the feeling of a turbo. That baseCayenne is a dog. My Audi Q7 3.0T will walk all over it.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:10 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
TURBO > Base Manual anyday and everyday. Archaic, 6 spped 3.5 dog of an engine manual will never even come close to the feeling of a turbo. That baseCayenne is a dog. My Audi Q7 3.0T will walk all over it.
And yet I will be happier in my manual than I would in a auto turbo or your Q7. To each his own!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by spyderbret:
dbv1 (10-26-2019), itgrunt (10-29-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 06:59 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Manual Moves Quickly in The Open Market

Originally Posted by amfp
To me, if you like manual and plan to keep a very long time, that is a personal decision - go for it. To me, I think about an exit strategy. Probably is much more difficult to sell a manual in the open market, plus PDK is great transmission.
Friend of mine looked for a manual Cayenne for a good while. Every time she found one for sale, whether it was on Cargurus, Autotraders, Cars.com, etc, by the time she called it was gone. The market may be small but so is the supply.
The following users liked this post:
dbv1 (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 08:43 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Friend of mine looked for a manual Cayenne for a good while. Every time she found one for sale, whether it was on Cargurus, Autotraders, Cars.com, etc, by the time she called it was gone. The market may be small but so is the supply.
Took me 2 months to find mine. It sold in 1 hour after it was put up.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
Took me 2 months to find mine. It sold in 1 hour after it was put up.
This has been very informative and nice to follow everyone’s opinions. While I was never seriously considering a manual as to me it doesn’t make a lot of sense for a vehicle that will be my DD or to have one in a large car that will never be tracked. It is interesting that in the last 2 months I have seen 3 958’s within 75 miles of me come up for sale. The first sold within a week, but it also was a lower mileage one. There are 2 still for sale. The one for sale longest is asking $19k with high mileage and another just came up last week for $23k with @67k mileage. So to me it seems that manuals might be out there and not selling as fast.
i finally found my own to purchase and will get it next week. I was determined to only buy CPO as this will be my first P car and I want it to be a stress less experience. Getting a CS so feel lucky and not having to settle for a base 6.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:43 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

This is not correct; as usual, service managers are not technically well informed! The transfer case itself is no different on a manual or automatic transmissioned Base Cayenne.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:15 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
This is not correct; as usual, service managers are not technically well informed! The transfer case itself is no different on a manual or automatic transmissioned Base Cayenne.
I was kind of surprised to hear that to be honest. No logical reason for them to be different. If I ever confirm I will post my findings.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:45 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

I was kind of surprised to hear that to be honest. No logical reason for them to be different. If I ever confirm I will post my findings.
You won't. Part numbers have been verified way back.
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (10-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons of Manual Transmission