Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Windshield radar remote mute wire extension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Windshield radar remote mute wire extension?

Anyone have a windshield mounted radar detector with a remote mute button? I got me a Uniden R7 a few months back and now trying to hard wire it with a remote mute button. I've decided to place the mute button in the cup holder center and have routed the RJ11 wire through the center console, then under glove box and eventually up the passenger pillar into the roof. the problem is the the wire is a bit short and stops around mid sun visor on the passenger side. Has anyone done an extension and had success with this? This all transpired last night when it was already dark and I barely put things together without losing anything.

I was thinking of purchasing another wire and then soldering things things together. although getting one of those phone couplers came to mind, not sure if it will be sufficient or work at all, plus I'm thinking it will be banging in the ceiling when going over bumps.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:21 PM
auzivision
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Start over with a longer wire and do it right. Not that you can't use an extender, but having one haging in view would eventually drive me nuts.

If it were me I would start at the top, work my way down, then use the extender/coupler in an inconspicuous place down under somewhere.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:43 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by auzivision
Start over with a longer wire and do it right. Not that you can't use an extender, but having one haging in view would eventually drive me nuts.

If it were me I would start at the top, work my way down, then use the extender/coupler in an inconspicuous place down under somewhere.
thanks for the reply, definitely not helpful since i mentioned that the wires are all hidden in ceiling, dash, center. i needed to know if i can extend a wire that is sold by a manufacturer in certain length and nothing longer.

Answer is yes. I just obtained a 8 wire rj45 coupler and used with rj14 wire. everything works. now just need to see if soldering will be successful
Old 09-20-2019, 01:30 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Ok, done done it's all done.

Used an RJ45 coupler and made a 1.5 ft RJ11 cable to extend the original. Also used the porsche cloth loom and lots of it to make the coupler have some softness around it. No banging in ceiling. Here some pics and location of mounts.
Attached Images         
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (02-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Windshield radar remote mute wire extension?