Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

pre-buy inspection on a 2013 Cayenne S (loaded), questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 02:36 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
understood you must purchase a Fidelity warranty a dealserhip

two questions
1) any idea how much these cost? (range)
2) any idea if is possible to purchase this from a dealer that you did NOT purchase the car from?

I might call a few local dealers of a similar make/model/year & just ask much much? (that is my current idea)
There is a huge cost range depending on the level of warranty and the time period. 1 year powertrain is a couple grand. 4 year platinum is 10 grand. etc...

You can get them from ANY dealer at ANY time you want. It will have a 30 day grace period where you are not covered.
Every dealer has the exact same cost from Fidelity and is allowed to mark it up, up to 100%. So the cost per dealer can range greatly.

My buddy is a dealer and explained all of this to me.

Michale Jourdan at Mossy Motors gives great prices. You can find his contact info searching this forum. I think he is only marking it up 5% which is as good as you can get.
The following users liked this post:
Tryfon (09-09-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:08 PM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jpru2001
There is a huge cost range depending on the level of warranty and the time period. 1 year powertrain is a couple grand. 4 year platinum is 10 grand. etc...

You can get them from ANY dealer at ANY time you want. It will have a 30 day grace period where you are not covered.
Every dealer has the exact same cost from Fidelity and is allowed to mark it up, up to 100%. So the cost per dealer can range greatly.

My buddy is a dealer and explained all of this to me.

Michale Jourdan at Mossy Motors gives great prices. You can find his contact info searching this forum. I think he is only marking it up 5% which is as good as you can get.
IF you are going to go the Fidelity warranty path, the above is definitely the best option I was able to find. Was just looking up this info but @jpru2001 beat me to it. :-)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:20 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dbonds
FWIW, when I bought a Cayenne earlier this year, a couple (West and North Houston) of the Porsche dealerships in Houston I talked to will not due a PPI (guessing liability issues if they "miss" something) - you pretty much have to go with an "independent".
I had a Houston indy just complete a PPI on the unit I am interested on this morning.
Verbal results are good (no transmission issues, air suspension worked great, no water/flooding issues anywhere (looked extra in footwells, waiting on the full report.)

- the drivers side electric seat w/18 way seats was throwing a code but the mechanic could find no issues, he thought maybe too much power going to it maybe? it could be an issue down the line.
- only one key
- the unit had manuals but none of the books were stamped / used / etc. (my mechanic stated he sees this all the time)
- some scratches, drivers seat leather wear (dammit condition it, meh!), etc
FYI I come from the Audi world & I would always bring my book into my dealership and make sure it was stamped / completed, etc. Is that not a thing in Porsche?
- more details to come...
Old 09-06-2019, 03:30 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dbonds
FWIW, when I bought a Cayenne earlier this year, a couple (West and North Houston) of the Porsche dealerships in Houston I talked to will not due a PPI (guessing liability issues if they "miss" something) - you pretty much have to go with an "independent".
I guess each dealership is different. I was looking at a Cayenne in the Oakland area (I forget exactly where). I contacted a dealership up there, and I had scheduled a PPI with them for the CS I was looking at. Hope your indy shop works out for you.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:00 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Default driver seat wear on espresso leather

would dye and repair possible?
what is the "preferred" cleaner / repair these days?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Default suspension fluid leak

suspension fluid leak
my PPI indy mechanic stated this would be only a 1 hour job to fix some o rings & clean up?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:30 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

found codes
adaptive cruise control C11000 and C12085
driver seat memory 0D02 For and aft adjust motor TPM system needs to be reset
both cruise control and seat function properly
(was told this should be ok & sometimes these Cayanne's just throw codes? & basically leave them alone?)

steering and suspension accumulator is seeping fluid on front lower driver area frame and fluid is low
(picture previous post)

vehicle drifts to the right & steering wheel is off center to the right slightly (*dealership put on new tires & did not do an alignment)
front brakes 11 mm
rear brakes 8 mm

only 1 key

a few scuffs & scratches, chips (details removed)

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Pass on it. The low mileage doesn't reflect too well on the overall condition.
By the time you add a solid $4000+ for warranty plus the missing key and other things to fix, you are in it for way too much money.
If you skip the warranty, anticipate over $4000 to have the transfer case replaced with the updated one.
Look for a CPO one at a Porsche dealer.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Some things to check during the inspection:

Raise the Air Suspension to highest setting - park it for an 30-60 minutes and see if any of the sides have sagged down. Somewhat common and expensive issue.

Test for transfer case issue

Check for coolant pipes leaking (or better yet - see if owner has receipt that it has already been fixed)

Compression test if you really want to be thorough
Old 09-07-2019, 12:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Walk away.

Also, I has a PPi done on a E38 back in the day. Texas car. Worst thing I ever did. PPi dude was a bad person from a large company. Went into cahoots with eh selling dealer to push the car off the lot. I got a lemon and lost all my money. Never again will I purchase a car sight unseen unless it's from a Porsche dealer.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 PM
garyypk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should walk away. Just talking the driver. Mine one is the same model with 64K miles and the seat condition is way better than this. And the suspect fluid leak....it may cause you a problem
Old 09-10-2019, 12:40 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Originally Posted by dapopa9
Raise the Air Suspension to highest setting - park it for an 30-60 minutes and see if any of the sides have sagged down. Somewhat common and expensive issue.
if there is a suspension issue, what is the worst cast cost to repair? $4000?
Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

if there is a suspension issue, what is the worst cast cost to repair? $4000?
Look up the prices on some of the parts stores online and call Porsche dealer to just get part info. You're in Cali, this is in Texas. Why don't you just go there if the car is on top of your list? I driven down to SC from PA years back when I had found a car i really liked. Sure its lots of hours spent, but at least you know what you're getting.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:22 PM
auzivision
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

The seat doesn't bother me too much from a wear perspective. Looks like maybe a big rhinestone cowboy wearing studded jeans or Carhartts that took a bunch of short trips. Leatherique and SEM products done properly can easily mask that wear to a very acceptible level.

A suspension leak, that would scare me away. A replacement compressor is over $3k to replace. That's what I learned the hard way on a below zero day when something froze. The system is supposed to be airtight and is filled with some inert gas (nitrogen I think) to keep humidity/moisture out. If the fluid is leaking then the gasses are most likely contaminated. A full-suspension overhaul including decontamination could easily surpass $4K.

That said, the picture showing the leak is inclusive at best as far as source and cause. Not sure what is pictured the passenger front or drivers rear. While the residue does appear to be oily, I would want to better pinpoint the source.

I certainly wouldn't rule this out just yet since you really appear to like the option package and the mileage are awfully low. If the price is right.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:21 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a Houston indy just complete a PPI on the unit I am interested on this morning.
Verbal results are good (no transmission issues, air suspension worked great, no water/flooding issues anywhere (looked extra in footwells, waiting on the full report.)

- the drivers side electric seat w/18 way seats was throwing a code but the mechanic could find no issues, he thought maybe too much power going to it maybe? it could be an issue down the line.
- only one key
- the unit had manuals but none of the books were stamped / used / etc. (my mechanic stated he sees this all the time)
- some scratches, drivers seat leather wear (dammit condition it, meh!), etc
FYI I come from the Audi world & I would always bring my book into my dealership and make sure it was stamped / completed, etc. Is that not a thing in Porsche?
- more details to come...
Hey who did you use for the PPI in Houston? I'm considering a GTS in the area. Thanks

Quick Reply: pre-buy inspection on a 2013 Cayenne S (loaded), questions?