Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-2018-242/)
-   -   Variocam Lift Valve (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-2018/1151739-variocam-lift-valve.html)

Teddybehr 07-10-2019 11:51 PM

Variocam Lift Valve

Hi,
My 2011 958 Cayenne S have a check engine light (yellow) warning.
My engine is running rough after 10+ km or so or just after a restart.
Went to the dealer. After insisting on, at least checking the codes, the "service technical expert" told me that is was the vario lift ... well guess he meant: Variocam Lift Valve.
He told me that I can drive it normal usage. No damage will occur to the engine or other components what so ever.
My scheduled repair is only in 3 weeks. (earliest possible appointment because they are loaded).
The car is on CPO warranty.
Should I thrust him about the "no damage will occur" claim?

Thanks alot

Just FYI, I had PASM problems and now it's dropping again and the same guy told me that PASM components are not covered by the CPO. Told him that they changed 2 compressors, 2 bloc valve and 2 air springs within 2 years and they were all covered and only shocks are not covered.:mad: That is why I ask you guys (that I trust more) the real answer for the variocam thing

deilenberger 07-11-2019 02:03 AM

Do you know if the variocam bolts have been replaced? If you have no clue what I'm talking about - go read the sticky for people thinking of buying a used 958 Cayenne.

Teddybehr 07-11-2019 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by deilenberger (Post 15965678)
Do you know if the variocam bolts have been replaced? If you have no clue what I'm talking about - go read the sticky for people thinking of buying a used 958 Cayenne.

Yes I am familiar with the recall and it has been done 2 years ago and confirm by a CPO inspection and recertification 1 year ago.
I will check and comment the thread but some people from time to time ask me if I am selling my car because they want the "Sound of Porsche naturally aspired V8" from the S and GTS (GTS sound way better :) ) and they stop putting the V8 on the S and GTS in 2013 if i am not mistaken.
Are you tell me that I should not drive it meanwhile or go to the dealership and take it a step further?

quickster2 07-11-2019 03:03 AM

I'm making an assumption here that your truck idles roughly but once at cruising speed/rpm all is normal??? If so it is most likely a valve lift solenoid and not vario-cam. If that is the case then the dealer is correct in what they told you. The naturally aspirated V8 (S & GTS) went away after 2014.

Teddybehr 07-11-2019 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by quickster2 (Post 15965731)
I'm making an assumption here that your truck idles roughly but once at cruising speed/rpm all is normal??? If so it is most likely a valve lift solenoid and not vario-cam. If that is the case then the dealer is correct in what they told you. The naturally aspirated V8 (S & GTS) went away after 2014.

Right assumption! :)
Thank you very much for your insight and the info (I will sleep a bit less stupid tonight :thumbup: )

quickster2 07-12-2019 03:57 AM

I had this same issue on mine. Hope it works out for you. I would try to minimize driving time and get it fixed as soon as possible.