Sponsored By:

Wheel Lock Key broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 05:19 PM
ashworld
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel Lock Key broken

I have a 2013 Cayenne GTS with 21" wheel.
Each wheel has one bolt which opens with a key Nut. Unfortunately, the Key nut broke and now I have to get the brake pads replaced.
When I called the Porsche service center they told me that I need to buy New Key and Bolts Set and need to get the car to service so that they can remove the bolts.

1. I can go to Porsche and get the Security bolts removed and Replace them with New Both either Regular one or Security Key ones. I am leaning towards regular ones to avoid such issue in the future.
2. Is there a way to remove the Security key Bolts without the key and replace with regular bolts.

The Porsche service may charge me 1-2 hrs of Labour along with the cost of new Bolt either regular or security key. This is costly options. Estimate $ 150 for Security Key bolts and $100-$200 Labour.

Please help.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:57 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you can remove it with a regular socket that is snug enough. It was done on a friend's car. He lost the key and a mechanic removed 4 bolts with a regular socket. Have to be careful not to strip the head.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:20 PM
ashworld
8th Gear

This is how the Lug nut and key look like

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/LUGSETLOCK.html
Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

You need a reverse helix socket to remove the broken security lug nut. I have an old craftsman set I once used many many years ago. Had bought it from Sears. Worked like a charm. Just make sure you get the right size.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-04-2019, 09:57 PM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ashworld
1. I can go to Porsche and get the Security bolts removed and Replace them with New Both either Regular one or Security Key ones. I am leaning towards regular ones to avoid such issue in the future.
2. Is there a way to remove the Security key Bolts without the key and replace with regular bolts.
There is actually an easy way to do this without having to take it to the dealer. There are a lot of videos on youtube which show how to do this.

You get a 12 point (not 6 point) socket that is just slightly too small to fit over the locking wheel stud. Then you hammer it onto the locking stud until it gets stuck. You will probably feel it stop after a few heavy hits. Each of those 12 points will dig into the outside of the locking stud. Then you remove it like you would any of the normal ones (using a breaker bar, ratchet or whatever). The locking stud will be stuck in the socket, and you can hammer it out using a chisel or something similar inserted into the square drive end.

My suggestion is to not reuse the damaged one you just removed, and have a new replacement stud ready to reinstall before you start this.

I had to do this on a 2016 Cayenne Diesel with stock 18" wheels because I lost my wheel key (and had to remove a wheel to fix a flat). I don't know if mine uses the same wheel studs and locking studs as yours. But the socket size that worked perfectly for me was an 18mm 12 point socket (1/2" drive chrome deep Kobalt brand from Lowe's if you are curious). I decided to switch to non-locking wheel studs. So in hindsight, I guess I did this 4 times (each wheel), and I had no problems at all. The most difficult things are finding the right socket size and mentally getting over having to hit your car with a hammer.

I considered a lot of different options, but decided to do this. It worked very easily.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Edited to add: Here is a video showing what I am describing. I did not watch the whole video. But what I am describing is at about 1:45 to 2:15 in the video.

b-man
Old 07-05-2019, 10:52 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

If the key is original Porsche/VW, all you have to do is buy a new key from the dealer. That's what I did when I lost my key, and it cost around $30. The challenge is to figure out the part number for the key. If you still have the original broken key then you're in luck - the key number should be stamped on the key itself. I went on eBay where individual keys are sold and found one that had same number of splines as my locks, and ordered that PN from the dealer.

You can also buy a VW master key set for $180 or so - that's what the dealers have and can take off any factory locks in minutes. The 1-2 hours you were told is them just milking you, as dealers do.

If, however, you have aftermarket locks, then you're screwed and the above does not apply. Some locks you can beat a socket on and remove pretty easily, some not so much, all depends on what kind you have.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:35 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,637 Posts

That does not look like a factory log bolt
Old 07-05-2019, 03:02 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Dealer has a set of master keys as I think their are only like 25 different key locks for our cars. I haven't switched mine from locked nuts to regular but it seems like its easy to still anyways..
Old 07-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
That does not look like a factory log bolt
If the OP doesn't have factory locks then that might also explain the quoted 1-2 hours to swap them out,
Old 07-05-2019, 04:33 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

We're still talking about this? Go online and pick up a Craftsman model #47392 impact grade lug-out set. Amazon has it. Even Sears still carries it for less $$$ I just fitted my old set on my 2013 GTS to check if it would work and it looks like the 19 mm that comes in the set works like a charm on a regular lug nut. Check to see if the diameter of the lock key nut is any different. The set comes with three sockets that have a different size on each end. So you actually get 6 different sizes to choose from.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 06:45 PM
ashworld
8th Gear

Default This is my actual key set

This is how it looks like and key no.

This is how the Lug nut and key look like

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/LUGSETLOCK.html
Actual
Old 07-05-2019, 07:20 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Looks OEM, though some newer style lock for which I don't see any aftermarket options (like the master kits that are available for the older style locks). Call up parts department and ask if they can order you a key by that code and year of the car. They should be able to unless Porsche decided not to sell them anymore, which would be stupid but not surprising.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,637 Posts

That Thatcham approved wheel lock looks to be an item that came from across the pond. I think you might have a hard time getting a replacement key for it.

Get those things off and replace with a splined type.

I think Jtak has the best solution so far and looks to be a no brainer. Those sockets he posted will dig right into the outside of the bolts and spin them right off. I use the smaller versions all the time and they are great.

Good luck and please keep us informed.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:24 AM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2013 Cayenne GTS with 21" wheel.
Each wheel has one bolt which opens with a key Nut. Unfortunately, the Key nut broke and now I have to get the brake pads replaced.
When I called the Porsche service center they told me that I need to buy New Key and Bolts Set and need to get the car to service so that they can remove the bolts.

The Porsche service may charge me 1-2 hrs of Labour along with the cost of new Bolt either regular or security key. This is costly options. Estimate $ 150 for Security Key bolts and $100-$200 Labour.

Please help.

I bet these guys would point you in the right direction...

http://www.abc-umformtechnik.de/en/w...lt-systems.php
Old 07-06-2019, 12:58 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

buy 4x 18mm long sockets. Hammer them over the security bolts. Use a beaker bar to remove. $20.

Quick Reply: Wheel Lock Key broken