Sponsored By:

Rear Sunshade

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Rear Sunshade

Has anyone used the factory rear sunshade? If so, how does it attach? Could you post a picture of it installed?
I'm thinking about getting one but I would like to see installed before I plunk down the dough.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:57 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts

Do you mean the cover that covers the cargo area? It slides in and out with the push of a button. Very easy to put in and out in 20 seconds. What color do you need? I have a black one that is useless to us because we regularly transport our giant German shepherd in the back.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:23 PM
Tryfon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you're talking about the one that slides out from the back side of the rear cover. Those attach to the back of the seats with the alligator clip press on fit. Be forewarned, 1) they break, EASILY 2) when a passenger isn't aware they are there, they will actually "SLAP" back into place giving everyone a slight heart attack if not breaking the mechanism. Out of all of the over engineered solutions on this car, the rear attachment for that shade was poorly engineered.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I should have been a little more clear. The rear hatch sunshade. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU958RHSS.html
Old 06-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I had no idea that was even a thing to get.
If you have tinted windows and the rear cargo cover - what would it really do?
Old 06-16-2019, 10:23 PM
Slickdvl
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jpru2001
Do you mean the cover that covers the cargo area? It slides in and out with the push of a button. Very easy to put in and out in 20 seconds. What color do you need? I have a black one that is useless to us because we regularly transport our giant German shepherd in the back.
I’ve been looking for one in black - would love to have it - will pay for shipping
Old 06-16-2019, 10:38 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark7000
I had no idea that was even a thing to get.
If you have tinted windows and the rear cargo cover - what would it really do?
I think it might help to keep the heat / sun out of the car. It gets pretty hot where I live and the pano roof even with the shade closed.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:21 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I should have been a little more clear. The rear hatch sunshade. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU958RHSS.html
Originally Posted by Mark7000
I had no idea that was even a thing to get. If you have tinted windows and the rear cargo cover - what would it really do?
The roll-out cargo cover would do nothing to deal with heat. I'm guessing the shade linked would help by defecting the heat before it radiates in further from the glass. But I'd also like to hear how it's worked for anyone that's got it installed.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I think it might help to keep the heat / sun out of the car. It gets pretty hot where I live and the pano roof even with the shade closed.
The sun is brutal here too. I ended up going with ceramic tint at the legal limit for my area (30%) and I'm really happy with it. I also had them do the windshield at 80%, it's clear for all intents and purposes. The interior still gets warm but, it's just due to the heat transferred from the exterior of vehicle heating up, not the good old "I can't touch the steering wheel because it's on fire from the sun" type of hot. IMO the tint on the windshield has done as well as the OEM sun shade for the front ever did.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:28 PM
afriedrich
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I moved to Lisbon, Portugal, in 2018 and have a big dog which normally travels with me in the rear compartment.
So I ordered the full sunshade set from Porsche, installation is easy with a couple of clips, see attached pictures...
Sorry for the bad quality of the pics but the rear window shade is difficult to photograph with a cell phone.
Regards, Alexander

Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by afriedrich
I moved to Lisbon, Portugal, in 2018 and have a big dog which normally travels with me in the rear compartment.
So I ordered the full sunshade set from Porsche, installation is easy with a couple of clips, see attached pictures...
Sorry for the bad quality of the pics but the rear window shade is difficult to photograph with a cell phone.
Regards, Alexander

Alexander, did you buy them all as one set? Or individually? All I am really after are the triangle windows and the rear hatch window. My rear doors have the motorized aux shades.
Thank you for your help.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:03 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
The sun is brutal here too. I ended up going with ceramic tint at the legal limit for my area (30%) and I'm really happy with it. I also had them do the windshield at 80%, it's clear for all intents and purposes. The interior still gets warm but, it's just due to the heat transferred from the exterior of vehicle heating up, not the good old "I can't touch the steering wheel because it's on fire from the sun" type of hot. IMO the tint on the windshield has done as well as the OEM sun shade for the front ever did.
Hotrod, this is the first I have heard of ceramic tint. Can you tell me more about it? Is it permanent? What did you pay for it?
Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 AM
afriedrich
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

@twodollardoug

I bought them as a set from Porsche (quite pricey but well made)... unfortunately you can't get the triangle windows without the rear door shades :-( I also did not need the rear door window shades but the triangle windows shades are not sold separately. Only the tailgate window shade is sold individually. Hope that helps.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:43 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Hotrod, this is the first I have heard of ceramic tint. Can you tell me more about it? Is it permanent? What did you pay for it?
Here is what I have.
https://northamerica.llumar.com/auto...le-window-tint
It can be a bit pricey, I've heard some crazy numbers but, around $600-800 seems pretty common.They are a sponsor on one of the race cars I work on so, I was able to get the tint material free and pay for just labor to install. It looks/installs just like normal tint but, does a better job at killing IR transmission through the glass.

There are some people out there with unrealistic expectations of what the tint should do writing blogs and forum posts about it being a waste money. It seems they expected to tint the windows and have the car stay 70° inside ignoring/forgetting heat will still transfer through all the metal of the car body and make the interior hot. What the tint is really good at is not letting the sun bake you and the interior through the glass. It basically functions like a permanent sun shade. After sitting out in the heat the interior is still going to be hot when you get in but, you'll notice the surfaces (seats/steering wheel/shift) aren't scorching hot like they are with the standard non insulated glass. IMO they also cool off quicker. Before getting the windows tinted I could feel heat radiating off of these parts even after the AC started to cool the car down. This might be a better explanation:

Last edited by hotrod2448; 06-18-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Sunshade