Inner door panel bulged out

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 09:03 AM
Davide Grilli
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi Davide - welcome to the forum.

I don't think this has happened on enough Cayennes to really say, and the few that it has happened to probably were out of warranty.

I do know this is awfully common on the 981 series (Boxster/Cayman) - and it seems to be up to the dealer. Some dismiss it as "cosmetic" others get right on it and replace the panels (they are quite costly - like $3000+ for both door panels). I think appealing to Porsche Cars North-America might result in some satisfaction..

But if you are thinking of a Cayenne and concerned with this - I've been here about 10-12 years, and the instances in this thread are the only time I've heard of this happening.
Thank you very much
Old 11-19-2020, 09:23 AM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 268 Likes on 128 Posts

Baking it in the California sun is certainly a good test, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Hot sun, (UV rays) will shrink leather and once it shrinks the chance of getting back the lost coverage is next to nil.
Removing the piece from the panel and soaking in leather nutrients will change the texture, color and have very limited effect of bringing it back to the original size.
I know this from experience and have seen it tried numerous times over the years.

Porsche had serious issues with shrinking leather for years.
I've replaced shrunken leather on many, many Porsche cars over the years, from 356s all the way up to 997s and GT3s.
That's not to say all Porsche leather has shrunk. Leather that is cared for with regular treatments, and less sun light exposure will last for many years.

I think later cars 2005+ have some better UV protection coatings that previous years.
IMO I think the protective coatings on some of these later model cars may have been removed by excessive cleaning or the use of harsh chemicals, which then allowed the sun to do its work.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:15 AM
rkcorp
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi Davide - welcome to the forum.

I don't think this has happened on enough Cayennes to really say, and the few that it has happened to probably were out of warranty.

I do know this is awfully common on the 981 series (Boxster/Cayman) - and it seems to be up to the dealer. Some dismiss it as "cosmetic" others get right on it and replace the panels (they are quite costly - like $3000+ for both door panels). I think appealing to Porsche Cars North-America might result in some satisfaction..

But if you are thinking of a Cayenne and concerned with this - I've been here about 10-12 years, and the instances in this thread are the only time I've heard of this happening.
It’s happened to my passenger side 2013 Cayenne. Espresso leather at the top part of the panel. An unexpected hassle. Haven’t taken it to the dealer yet. Hoping they’ll offer some sort of courtesy repair. If not, looks like I’ll be headed to a German upholstery shop.

edit: ps. same week my drivers side sun visor also broke.

Last edited by rkcorp; 08-27-2021 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-08-2021, 03:06 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

3 of my doors are like that. Remove the inner door panel (takes less than 10 min per door to remove). I used loctite spray adhesive 300 heavy. Glue them back on and clamp them down. Let dry a few hours and reinstall.
The following users liked this post:
rkcorp (09-12-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 03:09 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Just like someone mentioned above all 3 doors had 0 adhesive from factory....I guess they are molded in that shape and heat/time makes them bulge? either that or factory forgot to spray adhesive in that area. Driver door is fine so haven't removed to see what it looks like
The following users liked this post:
rkcorp (09-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Inner door panel bulged out