Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

958: Successfully cross referenced VW Touareg tow module & harness

Old 06-14-2019, 11:07 AM
ssquare14
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 958: Successfully cross referenced VW Touareg tow module & harness

One more aftermarket tow hitch thread...with a success story! Seems to be a lot of people in this boat, so hopefully this helps others.

I had an aftermarket hitch installed on my 2012 CS, but no wiring or module. Porsche does not sell the harness or tow module separate so you need to buy the whole kit ($$$). I did some research and was able to cross-reference part numbers to a VW Touareg kit that includes brand new wiring, tow module (ending in "F"), and 7 pin connector for $290. I took a chance, ordered and installed myself and had the dealer program (no charge)...and it works!!

Link: Installation Kit For Trailer Hitch - Volkswagen (7P1-055-203)
In case the link goes down, the VW kit SKU # 7P1-055-203

FYI my trailer has LED lights. Before having the dealer program the module, the blinkers and hazards would work on the trailer, but no brake lights. Everything worked once it was coded. Also in case anyone is looking for the 5 pin setup,
this connector this connector
worked for me, but I haven't figured out where to mount it yet so its just tucked in the bumper

Last edited by ssquare14; 06-14-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: mounting connector
Old 06-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks! Going to do this.

The 2014 S I just purchased with the factory hitch did not have the harness, so I suspect it was removed and sold on ebay... Was also missing the rear cargo cover. Dealer claims those 2 items are both sold separately as accessories and did me no favors to get them. When I asked how the factory hitch which was on the original window sticker did not come with the wiring harness, they couldn't answer the question... Funny that I found what is most likely the cargo cover that came with the vehicle, listed on ebay and the location was from a guy 1 mile from the dealership.. I met him in a parking lot down the street from the dealer, too. I think he works for the detail shop cause there was no way he could have afforded a 2014 S. To be clear - he specifically listed the cargo cover as a 2014 and that he did not know if it fit any other years. Way too much coincidence.

Last edited by Mark7000; 06-14-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark7000
Funny that I found what is most likely the cargo cover that came with the vehicle, listed on ebay and the location was from a guy 1 mile from the dealership.. I met him in a parking lot down the street from the dealer, too. I think he works for the detail shop cause there was no way he could have afforded a 2014 S.
One would think PCNA would be interested to know about this kind of thing.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:54 PM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark7000
Thanks! Going to do this.

The 2014 S I just purchased with the factory hitch did not have the harness, so I suspect it was removed and sold on ebay... Was also missing the rear cargo cover. Dealer claims those 2 items are both sold separately as accessories and did me no favors to get them. When I asked how the factory hitch which was on the original window sticker did not come with the wiring harness, they couldn't answer the question... Funny that I found what is most likely the cargo cover that came with the vehicle, listed on ebay and the location was from a guy 1 mile from the dealership.. I met him in a parking lot down the street from the dealer, too. I think he works for the detail shop cause there was no way he could have afforded a 2014 S.
If it makes you feel any better (misery loves company?) the 2016 S I bought recently also had a factory (listed on build sheet) tow hitch, but no harness, and was also missing the cargo cover. Bought a used cargo cover online, and have a truck for towing, so not a huge loss, but still....
Old 06-15-2019, 12:14 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the wire harness that leads out to the hitch receiver is actually a separate item. The cargo cover is not. The cargo rail setup is an option (and a VERY handy one to have).
Old 06-16-2019, 06:29 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting......I bought my S from an indie dealer. Cargo cover also missing. Readily found one on E-bay. LoL
Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 AM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a plug adapter that is required to purchase for Cayennes with the tow package; I picked one up from the dealer when I took delivery of my '13 CD. It wasn't expensive, and connected right into the harness. It was the receptacle for the 7-pin tow harness; no wiring was needed, IIRC I had to remove two screws and then insert the receptacle, then screw it back in.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:19 AM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

So I just got a stock Porsche towing kit for mine and it came with this module, harness already integrated into the trailer hitch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 958: Successfully cross referenced VW Touareg tow module & harness