Sponsored By:

GTS launch control

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM
timmyz06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GTS launch control

So i have a 2016 GTS with sport chrono package(sport plus). I heard that i should have launch control. So yesterday, i went on a empty road. To a full dead stop, put the car in Sport + Then, hold on the brakes thight, floored the throttle. Launch control didnt engaged, at least i didnt see anything in the cluster that said so, like the video i watch. Am i doing something wrong? Or maybe i dont have for some reasons??
Old 06-13-2019, 03:31 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

2016 GTS with SC also and yes you have launch control.
I put suspension in sport+ also but not sure if that is necessary.

Brake has to be mashed to the floor.
Throttle mashed to the floor. It will say "performance start activated" in the instrument cluster.
throttle will hold around 3k RPM
release brake and hold on.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 PM
timmyz06
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpru2001
2016 GTS with SC also and yes you have launch control.
I put suspension in sport+ also but not sure if that is necessary.

Brake has to be mashed to the floor.
Throttle mashed to the floor. It will say "performance start activated" in the instrument cluster.
throttle will hold around 3k RPM
release brake and hold on.
I guess i have something to do tomorrow!!!
Old 06-14-2019, 02:01 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Since we all have the same 8-speed conventional auto transmission - What is this doing that the standard car won't do without the SportChrono package? With the dual-clutch like in a Macan it makes sense what's going on (clutches are disengaged, maybe even a little timing retard to help spool the turbo), but with a torque converter in play, I'm really curious what's going on behind the scenes?
Old 06-14-2019, 02:20 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

It shaves off a couple tenths so its doing something! Beyond having the sport plus button which changes engine and transmission response, I think launch control calculates the most efficient starting rpm and most efficient shift points disregarding everything but the fastest time possible. I don't think the other driving modes do that. I read a specific example is launch control eliminates any chance of wheel spin whereas just flooring it will not.

I guess if you could find the most efficient starting point and manually shift as perfectly as the computer you could duplicate it? Still maybe not then unless you also had the Sport+ driving mode...
Old 06-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

It’s a gimmick, no PDK, no true launch control, I can achieve the same results with a tiptronic in sport mode.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM
PDX958
Track Day

Talking

Originally Posted by timmyz06
So i have a 2016 GTS with sport chrono package(sport plus). I heard that i should have launch control. So yesterday, i went on a empty road. To a full dead stop, put the car in Sport + Then, hold on the brakes thight, floored the throttle. Launch control didnt engaged, at least i didnt see anything in the cluster that said so, like the video i watch. Am i doing something wrong? Or maybe i dont have for some reasons??
It's been a while since I tried it, but from what I recall, the trick is to not be too shy with the accelerator. If you ease into it, it doesn't engage. Need to just put it straight to the floor .
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 04:50 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX958
It's been a while since I tried it, but from what I recall, the trick is to not be too shy with the accelerator. If you ease into it, it doesn't engage. Need to just put it straight to the floor .
That was my recollection also. Press HARD on the brake (and hold it) then with a quick motion, FLOOR the accelerator until the cluster activation note appears, release the brake and hold on!

The manual explains it:
http://porscheownersmanuals.com/2017...9/Transmission

Quick Reply: GTS launch control